Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tach for the /6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I'm sitting on a plane, surfing the net. Got to love this new world of electronics.

Before I close up the dash, I'd like to get my tach switched over for the 3.0 that's going in the car. I've been told that I can send mine /4 to Hollywood and they will modify it and that I cab put in one from a 911. What's the best choice?
carr914
I've got a few 914-6 Gauge Clusters if you need them.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 17 2010, 06:58 AM) *

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Thanks, but I'm guessing it would cost more to restore them than to modify my tach. Mine is in fine condition already.

I found a thread where Andy asked for the method to add a resistor, but I never saw where he got an answer.
IronHillRestorations
The best way to go is find a 930 tach with the boost gauge, and have N Hollywood or Palo Alto convert the face to the correct rpm range and convert the boost gauge to a fuel gauge. Not the cheapest route.

The easiest thing to do would be to get a tach from a 3.0 911 SC.
markb
QUOTE(9146986 @ Feb 17 2010, 09:05 AM) *

The best way to go is find a 930 tach with the boost gauge, and have N Hollywood or Palo Alto convert the face to the correct rpm range and convert the boost gauge to a fuel gauge. Not the cheapest route.

The easiest thing to do would be to get a tach from a 3.0 911 SC.

agree.gif
Mark Henry
Of course an autometer gauge pops right in that hole. smile.gif
I don't have a 3.0 tach so I'm keeping my autometer shades.gif
pcar916
I used a 914-6 tach with the 2.7L and the 993 motor as well. Then got an Autometer and still have the first one on the shelf. I'll use it one day maybe! No idea what they go for these days in good condition.

Does the /4 gauge need a resistor? A transformer might be a bit more elegant.
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 17 2010, 10:34 AM) *

So what is an autometer?
Dr Evil
I was the one who asked about converting a gauge as well. I never got an answer, but I hear that it is very easy. Perhaps I need to borrow a /6 or 911 one and map out the components so that I can see what the difference is between that and the /6. I think it is just a capacitor value. I would have done it with my last one, but I was in a hurry to install it.
dlo914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Feb 17 2010, 10:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 17 2010, 10:34 AM) *

So what is an autometer?

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.a...=2701&sid=9
IPB Image
whatabout1
I simply sent my 4 cylinder tach to N. Hollywood. They do great work.
markb
Hey Doc, we have one here at GPR from a 914/6 that we'll loan to you to take apart & examine. Call us to give us your address for shipping.
rfuerst911sc
For my 3.0 conversion I purchased a used SC tach for $50.00.
kconway
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Feb 17 2010, 07:03 AM) *

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Thanks, but I'm guessing it would cost more to restore them than to modify my tach. Mine is in fine condition already.

Don't count on it. I had my tach glass replaced, face cleaned up, needle painted and bezel replaced at Northhollywood Speedo for ~$100 a few weeks ago.
pcar916
Here's another AutoMeter and my spare /6 tach.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The VDO may be a 911 tach instead of a 914/6 version. Somebody'll be able to tell from the needle etc.

I agree that converting your tach is likely your best option. In the meantime, here's a site with lots of information about 914 instrumentation.

http://www.p914.com/p914_gauges_tachs.htm

By the way, I designed my 993 oil cooler system on a plane from Singapore. Plenty of time!

Good luck
underthetire
I have an extra glass. Broke mine when putting it back together, so the glass shop made 2 of them for me. Leme know if anyone needs it.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(markb @ Feb 17 2010, 04:26 PM) *

Hey Doc, we have one here at GPR from a 914/6 that we'll loan to you to take apart & examine. Call us to give us your address for shipping.

Hey Mark,

I am tying things up for me to leave to KS tomorrow AM so I am pretty busy tonight. I will PM you instead wink.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(kconway @ Feb 17 2010, 05:00 PM) *

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Don't count on it. I had my tach glass replaced, face cleaned up, needle painted and bezel replaced at Northhollywood Speedo for ~$100 a few weeks ago.

Dude, for $100, that is not a bad deal at all. They did not convert it, though, did they?
campbellcj
I've been using an early 911E (69 IIRC) tach until today -- I just got it back from NH Speedo converted to a 10K dial. They changed the circuitboard so I shouldn't need the MSD tach adapter anymore and also shouldn't (hopefully) have nearly as much needle bouncing.

I thought about the Autometer route but I like the factory VDO look and it retains the turn signal blinkies.
kconway
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 17 2010, 06:22 PM) *

QUOTE(kconway @ Feb 17 2010, 05:00 PM) *

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Dude, for $100, that is not a bad deal at all. They did not convert it, though, did they?

No, no conversion. But point being, TC has some /6 tachs that could be cleaned up and used for a reasonable amount of coin.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Feb 17 2010, 03:46 PM) *

The VDO may be a 911 tach instead of a 914/6 version. Somebody'll be able to tell from the needle etc.

It is a 911 tach. The 914-6 tachs had the silver cone on the needle; yours is like the 74+ 914 gauges. I think that means it is from a 74+ 911, or possibly a 914 but has been converted for six-cylinder operation and higher redline.

--DD
pcar916
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 17 2010, 11:44 PM) *

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Feb 17 2010, 03:46 PM) *

It is a 911 tach. The 914-6 tachs had the silver cone on the needle; yours is like the 74+ 914 gauges. I think that means it is from a 74+ 911, or possibly a 914 but has been converted for six-cylinder operation and higher redline.

--DD

Thanks Dave,
Mystery solved and you are correct. The number on the inside band (which I'd forgotten to look at) reads 911 641 301 29. Since the car had a '75 2.7L (per Bruce Anderson's 911 Performance Handbook specs) in it when I bought it in San Francisco, I'd bet it was a '75 tach as well. I'll see if PET will give me the answer later... now I have to know.

It's been rebuilt (stamped on the back) but by whom I don't know.
sean_v8_914
I just switched to a monster tach. it shows exactly what rpm the engine is turning in real time...what a concept. while I like the stock VDO look, functionally speaking, it is a big fat lying, slow reacting turd.

maybe a clever guy could put a VDO face on an Auto meter

I bought mine on craigslist for 30 bucks. they sell on ebay for about 50 used
sean_v8_914
retail is 120 to 250 depending on model and options.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.