Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: We nee some "real' new topics & I'm tapped. This for
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
C'mon guys & gals. We need some refreshment!
By that I mean we need some new input.

Why are we getting stale?

Who has ideas?

Pat
Cairo94507
OK....I'll bite. Given the title of this thread, I realize I am wading into deep, deep water, but here goes.

So, I have my '71 914-6 ( piratenanner.gif ) and it was delivered new as a Gold car. The original owner, about 2 years later, had it color changed to Black. Then sometime after owner two bought it in '74 he likely had it repainted Black again as the exterior is in pretty decent shape. Then of course in the early 80's out came the 2.0 and in went the 3.0 with webers.

So I was originally looking to build a 3.4/3.6 with a 915 transaxle and upgraded brakes, suspension, cooling, etc., with steel factory flares. That was then...

Now that I have this piece of Porsche history I have decided I do not want it to look modified from the exterior. So I am thinking stock body/trim and a soda blast repaint to Ivory White because I just can't abide Gold and always wanted Ivory White. (No offense to those Gold car owners)

So what do you guys think that it will not be repainted the factory delivered color?

Also, after talking to some people I really respect, I may be putting a 3.2 with fuel injection in it and a 915 with a Wevo shifter.

I do not want the car to ride stiff, squeak, etc., so I am going to set it up to drive on the street, be comfortable and not rip itself apart. I am quite sure that when the car is taken apart and any rust issues are addressed, I will do whatever chassis strengthening kits that will not be visible or apparent.

I like the early (15"?) deep six Fuchs wheels and when I find a set I plan to have them refinished with the spokes in satin finish, not polished.

OK, tell me what you think about my plan, keeping in mind nothing is in concrete.

Thanks for reading and your thoughts. Did I mention I love my six?

tod914
Pat, I haven't been through all the threads, but I don't recall comming across an owners/service manual post displaying each page of either book for a selected year. Be happy to cover 73 for you if you go with it. Other would be brouchures. I know other members have them on their sites though. Renlist? Jeff B. maybe?
Tom_T
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 17 2010, 06:17 PM) *

OK....I'll bite. Given the title of this thread, I realize I am wading into deep, deep water, but here goes.

So, I have my '71 914-6 ( piratenanner.gif ) and it was delivered new as a Gold car. The original owner, about 2 years later, had it color changed to Black. Then sometime after owner two bought it in '74 he likely had it repainted Black again as the exterior is in pretty decent shape. Then of course in the early 80's out came the 2.0 and in went the 3.0 with webers.

So I was originally looking to build a 3.4/3.6 with a 915 transaxle and upgraded brakes, suspension, cooling, etc., with steel factory flares. That was then...

Now that I have this piece of Porsche history I have decided I do not want it to look modified from the exterior. So I am thinking stock body/trim and a soda blast repaint to Ivory White because I just can't abide Gold and always wanted Ivory White. (No offense to those Gold car owners)

So what do you guys think that it will not be repainted the factory delivered color?

Also, after talking to some people I really respect, I may be putting a 3.2 with fuel injection in it and a 915 with a Wevo shifter.

I do not want the car to ride stiff, squeak, etc., so I am going to set it up to drive on the street, be comfortable and not rip itself apart. I am quite sure that when the car is taken apart and any rust issues are addressed, I will do whatever chassis strengthening kits that will not be visible or apparent.

I like the early (15"?) deep six Fuchs wheels and when I find a set I plan to have them refinished with the spokes in satin finish, not polished.

OK, tell me what you think about my plan, keeping in mind nothing is in concrete.

Michael -

I had a similar dilemma with my early 73 2.0 ("914S") - being an original L80E Light Ivory, but repainted 2x by OO/PO &/or dealer & 2x by me - & it was Gold when I bought it 3 years old in Dec. 75. Mine still has the matching GA engine, but I was considering doing a 2270, etc. too boot!

After a lot of listening here, looking at the cost of what I would be doing on my resto/repair - it just seemed best to go back to the OE "white" - even though it would not have been my choice if buying the 914 new, which would've been Marathon or Alaska Blue Metallic! Apparently restoring to the original color will garner the best resale value for any 914 respectively, as with 356s, 911s, 912s, 930s, etc.

I learned to live with & like the idea of the original L80E by continual desensitization, Pavlovian training, psychiatric counseling, & the input of George, Pat & others here! biggrin.gif

With a low volume 914-6 - one of only 3,000 or so built - the best value & top CW restoration would be to "as it was originally" - color, fitment, engine/transaxle, etc., etc.

That said, if you're doing that much mod to your drive-train, etc. - then your 914-6 will be far from an original or restored example (unless you change direction as I did) - so do a color which makes you happy & damn the torpedoes! However, do save the original engine & transaxle, etc. for someone else to put riht later as "their project".
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 17 2010, 06:30 PM) *

Pat, I haven't been through all the threads, but I don't recall comming across an owners/service manual post displaying each page of either book for a selected year. Be happy to cover 73 for you if you go with it. Other would be brouchures. I know other members have them on their sites though. Renlist? Jeff B. maybe?

I have an early 73 MY dealer sales brochure of which I could take pix & post, if of interest?
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 17 2010, 05:41 PM) *

Who has ideas?

Pat

Pat, there are a whole lot of systems & areas which haven't been covered yet, as well as many of the organizational ideas suggested as the side discussion under "The few, the rare...." & doing so with your idea of 914s by model & year!
jonferns
I think we need a "how clean is the underside of your 914" thread, with pics smile.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 17 2010, 09:17 PM) *

Mike,
How can you NOT love a six? And, I'm one of the few people that love that original gold paint.

What you do with your six is YOUR business. You can make a gorgeous , useable driver, or make it a garage queen, but it's your business.

I like the idea of keeping it visually stock. The motor work I worry about, only because of extensive changes required to the wiring harness and potential sheetmetal changes (I'm not an expert here on modifications require for a 3.2).
In essence, any irreversible changes will impact on the resale value (and that WILL happen eventually). Do you still have the original 2.0?

Done properly, a color change, which has already happened, isn't a killer. Particularly since it's already happened. I'd full strip & paint it Ivory if that's what makes you happy.

Do what YOU want, but try to leave the original items (wiring, sheetmetal, suspension) capable of being brought back for the next owner.

Have fun. Spend money & help the economy!

Pat

ps - if it were MY car (and only because I am what I am - a weenie), I'd take it back to it's original condition and color. Good topic! w00t.gif

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 17 2010, 09:30 PM) *

Good idea Tod, particularly for the manuals! Bet we can easily get all years too.

Would you suggest a nailed topic? I know, I know - we have a scrambled mess of nailed topics right now, but I'm working on ideas for those, and open to suggestions. But your idea has real merit and could help a lot of owners.

Brochures? Like you said, there are other sites that have them well covered. Not saying it can't be done here, but would it be overkill? I have a bunch myself. And then, what about the "numerous" Factory 914 posters (all 3 of them)?

Pat
Cairo94507
Unfortunately, the original 2.0 engine was replaced back in the early 80's and where it went/what happened to it is unknown. The PO did not know what happened to it. It came with the 3.0 in it. As far as I know, the 3.2 motor is supposed to be a pretty straight forward swap. But I do appreciate the comments re the wire harness, etc. I want the car to be done like the factory did it. Thanks again for the comments. Still not feeling the Gold though....
ME733
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 17 2010, 08:41 PM) *

Who has ideas?

Pat

...............OK ......I would like to know Where do ALL the extranious , stickers, tags, markings and decals... go .......on an original 914.........1) I know that/some stickers/labels/ information/decals are available for purchase., but I would like to know precisely where they are placed....Photographs showing the locations would be appreciated. Thanks,..Murray Mcafee.
Gustl
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 19 2010, 04:26 AM) *

And, I'm one of the few people that love that original gold paint.

me too, me too ... smilie_pokal.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(Gustl @ Feb 19 2010, 11:13 AM) *

agree.gif

As for topics, I would love to hear some "interesting" stories associated with the cars and owners from "back in the day". Drive it cross country in 74? Tell us about the trip! Take delivery in Germany? Let's hear it!
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(ME733 @ Feb 19 2010, 06:46 AM) *

...............OK ......I would like to know Where do ALL the extranious , stickers, tags, markings and decals... go .......on an original 914.........1) I know that/some stickers/labels/ information/decals are available for purchase., but I would like to know precisely where they are placed....Photographs showing the locations would be appreciated. Thanks,..Murray Mcafee.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PLM.htm

laugh.gif
tod914
Pat a literature thread would be cool too. I have a dealer paint code brouchure that I can scan in and post from 1974. I seen others in main forum post those paint code sheets as well. Be great to have them all in one thread. So, a nailed thread would be great. I guess organizing it would be the chore. Not sure what kind of permission rights you can allow, but maybe allow one person at a time to submit all the images for a specific year in order? That way it's not cluttered and will save you time from sorting it out? I'd love to see an edited version of these threads (like Steve's), with just the facts & pictures. Maybe include a specific link at the top of the thread for sites like Jeff's, where additional info can be included. Just tossing some ideas at yah smile.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 19 2010, 01:42 PM) *

agree.gif

As for topics, I would love to hear some "interesting" stories associated with the cars and owners from "back in the day". Drive it cross country in 74? Tell us about the trip! Take delivery in Germany? Let's hear it!

Ferg, I'll start with my mnimus story.

By the way it will show in the Garage forum, where it belongs.
Pat
Tom_T
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 19 2010, 06:12 AM) *

Unfortunately, the original 2.0 engine was replaced back in the early 80's and where it went/what happened to it is unknown. The PO did not know what happened to it. It came with the 3.0 in it. As far as I know, the 3.2 motor is supposed to be a pretty straight forward swap. But I do appreciate the comments re the wire harness, etc. I want the car to be done like the factory did it. Thanks again for the comments. Still not feeling the Gold though....

Keep an eye out here, on evil-bay, The Samba, 914club, etc. for when 2.0 6 cases come up, & you may be able to find that original one out there & pick it up just to have it on hand in case you get the "full CW disease" - who knows?? confused24.gif

You could also post it here as a "keep an eye out" &/or in the classifieds as a WTB.

If you don't have the original engine case # in the car's records, maybe PCNA will cooperate to give you the engine case number over the phone or by letter if you explain why (they may want proof of ownership for privacy reasons), or by ordering a COA from them ($116 IIRC), then you'll have the number on hand to check.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 19 2010, 04:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 19 2010, 01:42 PM) *

agree.gif

Ferg, I'll start with my mnimus story.

By the way it will show in the Garage forum, where it belongs.
Pat

Pat, plz put a link to your story here, when it's done.
... same request for others when it goes to a new post, especially if outside of this O&H Forum.

So Pat, what determines whether someone's "story" goes in O&H, Garage, Sandbox, etc.? confused24.gif

... for example: I could see where a story about Factory Delivery, Past Parades, etc. might go here in O&H, whereas an individual's XC trip might go to the other two Forums (when it's not part of a Porsche, PCA, PCNA sponsored event say).
popcorn[1].gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 19 2010, 10:42 AM) *

agree.gif

Ferq - I drove my 73 2L everywhere 75 - 85, but will need to check the statute of limitations before I put in "certain details" biggrin.gif
& will need to look for some old pix to put in.

Paul - "1970 Neun vierzehn" - just posted a good tidbit on an 81 Parade - mostly pix.
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 19 2010, 02:44 PM) *

Pat a literature thread would be cool too. I have a dealer paint code brouchure that I can scan in and post from 1974. I seen others in main forum post those paint code sheets as well. Be great to have them all in one thread. So, a nailed thread would be great. I guess organizing it would be the chore. Not sure what kind of permission rights you can allow, but maybe allow one person at a time to submit all the images for a specific year in order? That way it's not cluttered and will save you time from sorting it out? I'd love to see an edited version of these threads (like Steve's), with just the facts & pictures. Maybe include a specific link at the top of the thread for sites like Jeff's, where additional info can be included. Just tossing some ideas at yah smile.gif

agree.gif

Awhile back I posted in here in O&H with a link to one or two of the paint code topics in the Garage, which I think should be one of those Nailed "914 Wiki" type threads.

Also, maybe another nailed topic for "Other O&H Resources" where we can link Jeff's stuff, that p914 website, etc., which are great resources in our restoo & preservation efforts.

Also agree with Culling the extranious posts from "The Few, the Rare...." - but I understand that takes time. If it helps you out, & if the poster can delete their own, I'd be happy to jump in & remove mine ther for you. But I have no clue on how to do that!!?? blink.gif
tod914
Thinks Pat should do a nailed thread on his car like Steve is doing. Awards, history etc. smile.gif Then you have 72 & 73 covered. Hopefully Dave Cheek will do his 76 when the weather permits.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.