Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: now i'm really fuched
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
Broke off two head studs pulling the old heat boxes to put on my header. headbang.gif

Do i drill them out and try to get something to fit or just start on my GA rebuild? Was planning on driving the car while i did it, but...

BTW this motor will be scraped since it's a bus 2.0 once the real engine is done.
McMark
I assume you're talking about exhaust studs. Is there anything left of them sticking out? Welding a nut onto the end can help, also careful application of heat to the aluminum boss can help the broken stud come out.

Drilling is very risky. I've done it a few times successfully, but it's not easy and it takes a lot of skill in being able to estimate angles and depth. If you go too deep you'll break into your exhaust port. If you go in at the wrong angle, your exhaust won't go on. A slight misalignment at the head, becomes a large misalignment at the end of the new stud.

Good luck. sad.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 17 2010, 07:30 PM) *

I assume you're talking about exhaust studs. Is there anything left of them sticking out? Welding a nut onto the end can help, also careful application of heat to the aluminum boss can help the broken stud come out.

Drilling is very risky. I've done it a few times successfully, but it's not easy and it takes a lot of skill in being able to estimate angles and depth. If you go too deep you'll break into your exhaust port. If you go in at the wrong angle, your exhaust won't go on. A slight misalignment at the head, becomes a large misalignment at the end of the new stud.

Good luck. sad.gif

Thanks. Tried the weld nut on stud thing, just twisted the stud off again. I was just thinking about it, think i will make a drill guide that i can bolt to the opposite stud with the proper size hole and angle to help guide the drill. If that don't work guess its on to plan d,e, or f-it.
Wilhelm
Pull the head,take it to a machine shop. You'll be money a head compared to ruining your head.
underthetire
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Feb 17 2010, 08:53 PM) *

Pull the head,take it to a machine shop. You'll be money a head compared to ruining your head.

Well, i was a journey level machinist, so not to worried. I just don't want to pull the head.
PeeGreen 914
You were in a bad band while being a machinest? blink.gif

Couldn't resist lol-2.gif
underthetire
Hey, old journey rocks. It's when they got that homo steve perry to sing lead is when they turned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.