Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Checking 914/6 for eng seizure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tonyiz
I'm in the process of checking a 914/6 for engine seizure. The shift linkage has some major problems and can't be used for shifting at the moment.

Does any one know what position the LEVER ON THE TRANNY (901) should be in for 5th gear on a tail end shifter?

Car is currently in neutral and I want to get it in 5th so I can do a quick check for engine seizure.

Plugs weren't rusted or corroded so I'm hopeful.
SLITS
Rotate rear shift rod fully clockwise (looking at tail of tranny) and push rod forward.
ME733
........Sounds like YOU are fixing to screw up big time. You are going to use the mechanical advantage of the transmission to rotate the engine. I.M.O you will certainly cause more damage....If you can not rotate the engine , BY HAND, at the front crank pulley,with the spark plugs out, then its BROKEN....But do this FIRST..1) remove all the spark plugs. 2) fill/ put SOME....20 cc's ....of nut breaker, penetrant, marvel mystery oil,(your choise).. into each cylinder.3). let it sit for a DAY to soak in....4) retry to rotate(both directions) engine with wrench on the front....5) still siezed? retry all steps as before....still siezed?.....6.) R.R. Engine to repair.M.M.
SLITS
I may be wrong and really don't care, but I was told never to rotate a six in the opposite direction of normal running.
Mr.242

Utt OH...that $800 dollar Karma thing coming after you? poke.gif

I would NOT be in such a hurry to get it to turn over. Your internal voices must have told you to post to get advice. I agree with a little oil down to each piston first.

Busted knuckles is one thing when working on cars....but busted parts are worse!

my .02 and GOOD LUCK. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
If it is in neutral and the plugs are out and you can not turn it with a wrench on the pully, it is seized and you should not try to break it loose.
Gint
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 18 2010, 06:41 AM) *
I may be wrong and really don't care, but I was told never to rotate a six in the opposite direction of normal running.
I've been told the same thing. I believe it to be true.
6freak
timing chain stuff ,valves ,just hi dollar stuff like that ,,,...with plugs out you can turn it over from the small hole at the top of the engine were the timing marks are located ..stick a wrench in and it should turn clockwise EASY...if it dont turn ....bust out your wallet ...but smile about it cause you got a real six for 800 bones ...leave trans in neutral.....good luck

Mike
Tonyiz
QUOTE(ME733 @ Feb 18 2010, 07:37 AM) *

........Sounds like YOU are fixing to screw up big time. You are going to use the mechanical advantage of the transmission to rotate the engine. I.M.O you will certainly cause more damage....If you can not rotate the engine , BY HAND, at the front crank pulley,with the spark plugs out, then its BROKEN....But do this FIRST..1) remove all the spark plugs. 2) fill/ put SOME....20 cc's ....of nut breaker, penetrant, marvel mystery oil,(your choise).. into each cylinder.3). let it sit for a DAY to soak in....4) retry to rotate(both directions) engine with wrench on the front....5) still siezed? retry all steps as before....still siezed?.....6.) R.R. Engine to repair.M.M.

Why is using the tranny to turn an engine with no pressure a big deal? I don't think I'm strong enough to bust a crank or rod by turning a wheel by hand. It's done with the 4cyl all the time. If you're stating that there is something inherently different about the 6cyl why this can't be done please elaborate.
Tonyiz
QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 18 2010, 09:30 AM) *

timing chain stuff ,valves ,just hi dollar stuff like that ,,,...with plugs out you can turn it over from the small hole at the top of the engine were the timing marks are located ..stick a wrench in and it should turn clockwise EASY...if it dont turn ....bust out your wallet ...but smile about it cause you got a real six for 800 bones ...leave trans in neutral.....good luck

Mike

I'll give that a try.
Tonyiz
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Feb 18 2010, 08:08 AM) *

Utt OH...that $800 dollar Karma thing coming after you? poke.gif

I would NOT be in such a hurry to get it to turn over. Your internal voices must have told you to post to get advice. I agree with a little oil down to each piston first.

Busted knuckles is one thing when working on cars....but busted parts are worse!

my .02 and GOOD LUCK. biggrin.gif

Getting my bug on the track is my priority when it comes to the cars. I've got nothing but time for the 914/6. Being different then the type 1, seeking a lil guidance is a good idea. I know enough to decipher between fact and folklore. Listening to some of the advice it appears that I may know more then the advice givers..... poke.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.