Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is anyone making these...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pillay2k
Hi all,

I really need some new heat exchangers for my 2.0 but UK sourced parts are rare and very expensive same goes for the German suppliers. So... i was wondering whether anyone knows if these covers are available still?
Click to view attachment

Dad got these years ago and wont give them up from his secret stash of NOS bits but i could really do with a set. I was kinda looking into how much tooling would be to knock off a few sets for the community if there is a market, i have also found someone willing to make the pipes in s/steel. (we did know the guy in Germany who did have the tooling for these covers but sold it before i got into 914's)

I need heat in my car not fumes!
dr914@autoatlanta.com

tooling is done but will not be produced unless there is an order for 100 sets (left and right) I am not strong enough to order 100 sets and sit on them. cost for the stainless shells would be retail $200 a set of four clamshells.
SirAndy
QUOTE(pillay2k @ Feb 18 2010, 11:00 AM) *

i was wondering whether anyone knows if these covers are available still?

Only used.

John at SSI (Stainless Systems Inc) used to make them but has since stopped and sold off his stock.
Last time i checked his warehouse (about 6 years ago) he had around 100 sets left, i'm pretty sure they're gone by now.
He never sold to the public, only resellers ...

There is a market for replacements, but it's very small.
bye1.gif Andy
pillay2k
very interesting, thanks for the info!
JJ914GT
Arno from 914parts.eu might be able to help you; www.914parts.eu
( there's a translation option on the site somewhere.)
IronHillRestorations
Lothar Stockl at 914 Parts Erstatzle in Germany(sp) used to sell replacement HE shells. I've never seen anyone else list those parts though.
tracks914
I am intrigued....are they for 2.0 - 1.7 or both????
pillay2k
QUOTE(9146986 @ Feb 19 2010, 01:15 AM) *

Lothar Stockl at 914 Parts Erstatzle in Germany(sp) used to sell replacement HE shells. I've never seen anyone else list those parts though.

Lothar is where these came from! He is a very good friend of my mum and dad!!
He is the one who had the tooling...

I guess they would work for both 1.7 and 2.0 as it is only the pipes that are different at the ends. (please chime in if that is not the case!)
Rod
QUOTE(pillay2k @ Feb 19 2010, 04:51 PM) *

QUOTE(9146986 @ Feb 19 2010, 01:15 AM) *

I guess they would work for both 1.7 and 2.0 as it is only the pipes that are different at the ends. (please chime in if that is not the case!)

Correct. The 1.7 kick up at the end. I bought a pair of used 2.0 SSI on here for $400. How's that stereo coming together??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.