Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo Drive Gear Sealing Modification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
McMark
Click to view attachment

I'm now offering this speedo drive gear modification to help seal one of the more persistent leaks on the 914 transmission. By adding a second, lower o-ring to this part it not only gains a second barrier again leaking, but also helps reduce the vibration that can wear the clearances and cause further leaking.

This part sits inside the transmission tail cone and the angle drive screws into it, then the cable attaches to the angle drive.
Click to view attachment

The new internal seal is noticeably smaller on the ID. This means more sealing pressure against the gear shaft, and therefore better sealing against oil leaks.
Click to view attachment

Now available HERE from 914Rubber.

This member (Thanks Eric!) had a significant leak at the speedometer, even while parked. After this modification was done... ZERO LEAKS! Read his story here.
SirAndy
Great idea! smilie_pokal.gif
After years of abuse, the case often is slightly oval allowing for oil to seep by.

A second o-ring should take care of that ...
w00t.gif Andy
IronHillRestorations
VERY COOL!!! You get a gold star McMark!!!!
whatabout1
PM sent
ConeDodger
This looks cool. Mine doesn't leak that I know of but I will keep it in mind...
Sleepin
Awesome!
McMark
These are now available only as complete rebuilds, all new o-rings, a new internal seal, and a new sealing washer. No compromise, no second guessing, no leaks.
eyecolor
Count me in

Tell me how to pay and where to send the core

thanks

George
McMark
PayPal: $65 to mark@originalcustoms.com

Core: Original Customs
19660 Eighth St East
Sonoma, CA 95476
McMark
Sleepin' posted his experience with the speedo modification. Read about it here.
jflash914
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 24 2010, 10:32 AM) *

Sleepin' posted his experience with the speedo modification. Read about it here.

McMark,
Besides removing the set screw what else is needed to remove the speedo drive?? Do you have to remove the back plate of the trans to get the drive shaft out?
Thanks,
Jack
BKLA
When I removed my speedo drive for my track day car, I machined a plug with two 0 rings with a centered trans temperature probe. Seemed the prudent thing to do.

No leaks!

I never thought of offering a simple modification like this on the speedo drive. Great Idea!
McMark
Jack, once the set screw is removed the speedo drive just pulls out. They can get quite stuck sometimes though. Leaving the angle adapter in place will help give you a place to grab.

Make sure the transmission is drained, or the rear end is HIGH up or the gear oil will drain out all over.
jflash914
QUOTE(McMark @ May 31 2010, 07:22 PM) *

Jack, once the set screw is removed the speedo drive just pulls out. They can get quite stuck sometimes though. Leaving the angle adapter in place will help give you a place to grab.

Make sure the transmission is drained, or the rear end is HIGH up or the gear oil will drain out all over.

Thanks McMark
Kevins911
Hi Mark, just wondering if you are still making these? I sent you a pm.

Cheers
Kevin
McMark
Yes I am. I'm waiting on more seals from Porsche, but as soon as they come in more will be ready to ship.
Ericv1
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 25 2010, 03:17 PM) *

Yes I am. I'm waiting on more seals from Porsche, but as soon as they come in more will be ready to ship.

What's the turn around time? I just degreased my transmission (in the middle of a six conversion) and found it is leaking at the angle drive. Do I need to send the drive gear as well as the housing? Thanks.
McMark
Turn around time is one day. The only piece I need sent is the piece pictured at the top of this thread. Not the angle drive, not the geared shaft.
SUNAB914
Hey I will order one as soon as I get settled in on my move. Be contacting you in Jan.
McMark
Gear seal kits are now available with the speedo drive for a completely leak free transmission. Seal kits are only $17.50. sunglasses.gif
pktzygt
Are the drive gear mod and the gear weal kits currently avaliable?

How much $$$ for both if I don't send you my core until after I install the new one?
McMark
Speedo gear mod can go out tomorrow.

Trigger wheels kits are on backorder until I can get the next shipment of trigger wheels. sad.gif
john_g
QUOTE(McMark @ May 31 2010, 07:22 PM) *

Mark,
Sorry I'm coming in so late, but I just inherited the problem and did a google search to discover this thread. I had a look underneath today to remove the speedo drive, but I don't see a set screw anywhere? (side shifter). Where is it? confused24.gif
euro911
Click to view attachment

Great mod ... you won't regret doing it
McMark
Thanks Mark! Didn't even think of using that picture.
john_g
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 5 2013, 11:54 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Great mod ... you won't regret doing it

Thanks - got it now! It was so full of grease and crud I had to clean the area up to find it.
euro911
I'm good for something every now 'n then ... but you may notice that my MS Paint skills are somewhat lacking laugh.gif

THOMAS did this mod to mine before he went back to Germany, and it hasn't leaked a drop since mueba.gif
john_g
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 6 2013, 07:37 AM) *

Thanks Mark! Didn't even think of using that picture.

McMark,
Are you still selling the modified drive gear (w/ the seal, o-rings, and washer)?
McMark
Yup. Available at my store.
john_g
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 6 2013, 01:38 PM) *

I'm having great difficulties ordering from the store. Please see my PM.
no1uno
Just ordered speedo drive gear upgrade using webstore. Thanks
HalfMoon
Order sent!
Great lil fix, thanks!
David
Btw, Can I assume core return instructions will be sent along with my part?
TY
D

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 6 2013, 04:38 PM) *

maf914
Mark, I placed an order for your speedo drive gear upgrade via your website this morning. Thanks for offering your products to us.
914_3.0
Just what I need. Off to your store.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.