Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ive decided on an engine: Pics of or your radiator setup?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
the4ork
Hey guys, i was kind of teeter tottering on the idea of doing a VR6 swap, but then knocked some sense into myself. Im a big VW guy, and know most of these engines like the back of my hand, i was originally going with the VR for the sound, my vast knowledge of the motor, and its not too shabby power under light boost...

but then i realised i could build up a VW turbo diesel engine and have similar crank power as the n/a VR6, equally cool sound, blow black smoke, and best of all turn it into a 60mpg daily driver with more HP, and lots more TQ than the stock aircooled engine as well.

looks like so far ideal build will be a 6500rpm revving 1.6 diesel, giles performance pump with all the trick work done to it, and am looking at a compound turbo setup, and fat awic.

but first i gotta find me a chassis and a motor. i'll actually be doing two similar builds, ill be building a TD for my mk1 Jetta at the same time, so it will be a fun build thread when it starts

id like to see some pics of how people have installed radiators in their 914's. as this is the only thing i really dont want to hack up, everything else looks pretty straight foward
RJMII
QUOTE(the4ork @ Feb 19 2010, 02:14 PM) *

Hey guys, i was kind of teeter tottering on the idea of doing a VR6 swap, but then knocked some sense into myself. Im a big VW guy, and know most of these engines like the back of my hand, i was originally going with the VR for the sound, my vast knowledge of the motor, and its not too shabby power under light boost...

but then i realised i could build up a VW turbo diesel engine and have similar crank power as the n/a VR6, equally cool sound, blow black smoke, and best of all turn it into a 60mpg daily driver with more HP, and lots more TQ than the stock aircooled engine as well.

looks like so far ideal build will be a 6500rpm revving 1.6 diesel, giles performance pump with all the trick work done to it, and am looking at a compound turbo setup, and fat awic.

but first i gotta find me a chassis and a motor. i'll actually be doing two similar builds, ill be building a TD for my mk1 Jetta at the same time, so it will be a fun build thread when it starts

id like to see some pics of how people have installed radiators in their 914's. as this is the only thing i really dont want to hack up, everything else looks pretty straight foward

All of my pictures are long gone, but I had a I4 2.2 turbo engine in a 72 914. The radiator was out of an 80's dodge caravan and fit between the engine and the driver side suspension/inner fender. With the rain tray out I had no problems with airflow or cooling.
JJ914GT
This is the old setup in my car. Copper is out now, long rubber hoses will connect it to the new engine.
Click to view attachment

My car used to have a VW 1.8liters 16v golf GTI engine in it +webers. ( around 160hp)
Click to view attachment
marks914
Custom dual pass made by radiator shop down the street $275.00
Mark
IPB Image
markb
You might take a look at some of the Renegade setups.
atsealevel914
Not mine but here you go.
the4ork
QUOTE(JJ914GT @ Feb 20 2010, 05:00 AM) *

This is the old setup in my car. Copper is out now, long rubber hoses will connect it to the new engine.
Click to view attachment

My car used to have a VW 1.8liters 16v golf GTI engine in it +webers. ( around 160hp)
Click to view attachment

man, since im doing a vw 1.6 diesel swap which uses the exact same engine mounting as your 16v (i have one of those in my rabbit truck hehe) i would really love to see some pics of how you made the mounts to fit the engine!!!!
bohalrantipol
What Diameter do the lines going back and forth need to be to support a V8?
dlo914
I plan to replicate this person's setup:
Porcharu
COOL COOL! Do it. I assume you know of this site My Webpage I really want a 2.5 TDI with a Giles pump for my Volvo. From what I have read the old VW's can really make some good power. I wish I knew this when I had my GTI. The 16V 2.0 in my 83' was fun but that engine was really a POS and the car should have been much faster.
Steve
the4ork
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Feb 21 2010, 01:44 AM) *

COOL COOL! Do it. I assume you know of this site My Webpage I really want a 2.5 TDI with a Giles pump for my Volvo. From what I have read the old VW's can really make some good power. I wish I knew this when I had my GTI. The 16V 2.0 in my 83' was fun but that engine was really a POS and the car should have been much faster.
Steve

yeah im on that site every now and then... sheeplove.gif
Gary
QUOTE(the4ork @ Feb 19 2010, 01:14 PM) *

but first i gotta find me a chassis and a motor.

This car is just up the valley and looks to be a huge headstart on someone's water-cooled project. If I had oodles of time, I'd consider heading the same direction for a daily ride. No affiliation, just saw it while surfing yesterday.

Regarding tranny options, I think the FWD Audi and B5 or B5.5 Passat bolt up. The Passat had a 5-speed manual option for it's TDI, which would be geared way better than the 914 tranny. The trick then is CV and drive shaft. If you do this project, pls post progress!

G
JJ914GT
man, since im doing a vw 1.6 diesel swap which uses the exact same engine mounting as your 16v (i have one of those in my rabbit truck hehe) i would really love to see some pics of how you made the mounts to fit the engine!!!!

PM reply has been send, but I thought I post the pics here for everyone to see.

This is the 16v engine that was in my 914. Pictures were made by the new owner of the engine setup, after bolting it to the gearbox in his kitcar. ( He had to cut some fiberglass to make it fit)

Tray at the front was a low battery tray, firewall side on the 914. You can see the adapterplate in the background of pic1.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.