Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noob intro
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vin man
Hello all. My name is Vinny and I'm new to this forum. I just purchased a 75 914 with 1.8L motor (with big bore kit installed). This is the second 914 I've owned. The first was a 73 that now belongs to my best friend.

I'm looking forward to working on this car to get it into the condition I want. I've got some rust to deal with, so I'll look to forum members for guidance. I'm a true believer in the search function, so I'll try not to repeat the same questions that get asked all the time.

Here are a couple pics of my car including the rust problem I need to deal with:

IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

If I've posted in the wrong section, forgive me (and moderators move to proper section please). I didn't see a section for introductions.
Mike Bellis
welcome.png

Good luck with your project and have fun!
zonedoubt
welcome.png

I also have a green '75 1.8L. You'll learn to love/hate L-Jet. bye1.gif
FourBlades
welcome.png

Love the green.

Nice looking car.

I assume because you own a 914 you have welder?

lol-2.gif

John
vin man
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Feb 19 2010, 04:59 PM) *

welcome.png

Love the green.

Nice looking car.

I assume because you own a 914 you have welder?

lol-2.gif

John

Good one John. Yes, I have a welder. His name is Doc. He owns Stone Soup Metal Works in Glendale, Arizona. smile.gif

I also have a mig, but I'm not the magician Doc is. I picked up the car on Thursday and spent an hour with Doc today. He told me to get rid of the car. headbang.gif
vin man
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Feb 19 2010, 04:58 PM) *

welcome.png

What is L-jet?

BTW, my car has dual dellorto(?) carbs. My last one was fuel injected which I really like. The 73 that my buddy Bob now owns still runs great. Bob wants to swap me the fuel injection system for the carb setup. Hmm....
VaccaRabite
nonsence! You have work cut out, to be sure, but it has all been done.

Look for threads "Digging into hell" about BAD rust restoration. Also, check out Scottyb thread on the Type47 build and Resurrecting Evil.

All the parts you need are reproduced. If you have a welder and a modicum of skill, you can save it. Once fixed, the car is good for another 30 years. Maybe longer, since they often get rebuilt better then they came off the factory line.

Zach
Gint
Whew! Got some work there. Love the color!

welcome.png
rick 918-S
welcome.png sawzall-smiley.gif blowtorch.gif welder.gif assimilate.gif
vin man
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 19 2010, 05:17 PM) *

nonsence! You have work cut out, to be sure, but it has all been done.

Look for threads "Digging into hell" about BAD rust restoration. Also, check out Scottyb thread on the Type47 build and Resurrecting Evil.

All the parts you need are reproduced. If you have a welder and a modicum of skill, you can save it. Once fixed, the car is good for another 30 years. Maybe longer, since they often get rebuilt better then they came off the factory line.

Zach

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Hopefully someone local to Phoenix will chime in and offer to show me how its done. I have no fear, but haven't found the parts I need yet.

Looks like Auto Atlanta is a site sponsor here so I'll do some more digging on their site. I did find this at Auto Atlanta, but I'm not sure it is what I need:
Auto Atlanta rocker repair part?
IPB Image
Elliot Cannon
welcome.png
KELTY360
welcome.png
markb
welcome.png
sixers34926
welcome.png
oldschool
welcome.png welder.gif have fun just get ready to do a lot of type.gif so that you can smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif and you can driving.gif real soon.
jonferns
welcome.png
76-914
QUOTE(vin man @ Feb 19 2010, 04:05 PM) *

QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Feb 19 2010, 04:58 PM) *

welcome.png

What is L-jet?

BTW, my car has dual dellorto(?) carbs. My last one was fuel injected which I really like. The 73 that my buddy Bob now owns still runs great. Bob wants to swap me the fuel injection system for the carb setup. Hmm....

welcome.png L Jet is the "other" FI system and was used on the 1.8. D Jet was used on the 1.7 & 2.0. Your car looks good. If Doc thinks it's that bad, get a roller w/o rust problems severe rust problems and use the green one as your donor. Your gonna need a spare one anyway. lol-2.gif
underthetire
welcome.png
Welcome to 914 rust world !

I love the green.
oldschool
Yes because one is never enough lol-2.gif
Socalandy
The Addiction never ends welcome.png
silver74insocal
welcome to the madness!! good luck with your project and i wouldnt leave either side door open for any extended amount of time... beerchug.gif also i believe the company name is restoration designs(?) they have a lot of replacement panels ..
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welder.gif smilie_pokal.gif
sixaddict
Welcome ...as you see we are experts all many really are. Some of it comes from experience as in ....I had that problem before.
Based on pics, I would suggest one thing before you decide if you really want to restore your green bean....take out interior (completely) including firewall sound pad.....and engine pad if one exists.....it is the only way to find how bad it is.
Car is very pretty car, but so was my crazy ex wife. wacko.gif
Good luck !
Sleepin
welcome.png

welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif aktion035.gif

One is never enough! Every time a 914 project is started, China opens a new Jack Stand Factory! lol-2.gif

IPB Image
vin man
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Feb 20 2010, 03:43 AM) *

Welcome ...as you see we are experts all many really are. Some of it comes from experience as in ....I had that problem before.
Based on pics, I would suggest one thing before you decide if you really want to restore your green bean....take out interior (completely) including firewall sound pad.....and engine pad if one exists.....it is the only way to find how bad it is.
Good luck !

Good advice. Very funny about the wife. smile.gif

I appreciate all the welcome comments. Looking forward to a 914 project - whether it be the green one or something else. smile.gif
underthetire
Just to make you aware, since your from AZ, it would be less painful in your wallet to get a new tub, prep it while you drive the green one, then swap everything out. AZ and CA have some decent tubs around. The rust belt guys are not so lucky.
Cevan
Palma green metallic! I love that color. Your paint code in the door jamb should be L95K.
vin man
QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 20 2010, 10:23 AM) *

Just to make you aware, since your from AZ, it would be less painful in your wallet to get a new tub, prep it while you drive the green one, then swap everything out. AZ and CA have some decent tubs around. The rust belt guys are not so lucky.

Good input. But wouldn't I need a title for that tub? And wouldn't it need to be a 75 as well?
underthetire
That depends on you. A lot of tubs have titles, or you can....
rallysport70
Hi Vinny,

I am also new to the 914 family, and just really getting into my "rustoration." I've owned the car for a year but bought it in pieces, so I haven't even driven it yet. Look into the suggested classic posts. They are excellent. My car isn't as bad as what I saw in your pics, but a lot of work none the less.

I bought this project to teach myself how to weld, so I guess I'm getting plenty of practice. Whether you buy a tub or decide to fix what you have, there is a TON of info on this site.

Good Luck! welcome.png
vin man
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Feb 19 2010, 09:00 PM) *

welcome to the madness!! good luck with your project and i wouldnt leave either side door open for any extended amount of time... beerchug.gif also i believe the company name is restoration designs(?) they have a lot of replacement panels ..

Thanks for the lead on Restoration Designs. Is this a vendor that people recommend or, instead, do people not have good luck with them? They seem to have all the sheet metal parts I would need and their prices are competitive.
silver74insocal
QUOTE(vin man @ Feb 20 2010, 06:49 PM) *

Thanks for the lead on Restoration Designs. Is this a vendor that people recommend or, instead, do people not have good luck with them? They seem to have all the sheet metal parts I would need and their prices are competitive.

sorry i cant speak from experience, but i have read alot of build threads that people have used their parts in and never saw any negative remarks regarding them. not kidding about the doors, if you do remove them make sure you make a brace. beerchug.gif good luck dude! Dave
vin man
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Feb 20 2010, 08:07 PM) *

QUOTE(vin man @ Feb 20 2010, 06:49 PM) *

sorry i cant speak from experience, but i have read alot of build threads that people have used their parts in and never saw any negative remarks regarding them. not kidding about the doors, if you do remove them make sure you make a brace. beerchug.gif good luck dude! Dave

When I spoke with my welder, Doc, he actually told me how he would weld in a bridge to maintain the body and keep it from falling in on itself.
Gint
QUOTE(vin man @ Feb 20 2010, 07:49 PM) *

Nothing but great things to say about RD. My six tub has many RD parts installed.
carr914
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Feb 20 2010, 05:43 AM) *

Ditto on that one. lol-2.gif I guess alot of us are gluttons for punishment.

Vinny, welcome.png . Restoration Design was recently sold and I haven't dealt with the new owners, but they seem very enthusiastic. I'm sure their customer service is better than in the past and if the quality of panels are like the past, you will be pleased.

Good Luck welder.gif

T.C.
pcar916
If the wife comes home as says;

"I just saw a really nice looking 911 for sale, should we go look at it?" Just do it...
If that one is a POS then quickly find another to help scratch that itch. driving.gif driving-girl.gif

914 projects are easier to get into when the wife has the P-bug too.

Welcome. beerchug.gif
bembry
QUOTE(esses62 @ Feb 20 2010, 09:41 PM) *

WTF.gif rust in AZ

welcome.png

No kidding--where's the car from originally? That rust couldn't have come from Gilbert AZ. Welcome though!
vin man
QUOTE(bembry @ Feb 21 2010, 01:25 PM) *

WTF.gif rust in AZ

welcome.png

No kidding--where's the car from originally? That rust couldn't have come from Gilbert AZ. Welcome though!

I don't know where it is from. How would I tell. Is there some secret decoder info and a tag someplace that would tell me?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(vin man @ Feb 21 2010, 03:16 PM) *

WTF.gif rust in AZ

welcome.png

I don't know where it is from. How would I tell. Is there some secret decoder info and a tag someplace that would tell me?

Maybe previous owner has some clues. I had registration card in my visor showing the car was from Cali.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(vin man @ Feb 21 2010, 01:16 PM) *

WTF.gif rust in AZ

welcome.png

You may have to go CSI on the car to find out where it came from.

If you do buy a new tub, any year will work. Most of your parts will bolt right on.

We in Ca, NV and AZ are very lucky when it comes to rust. There are always rust free cars for sale.

Now I have seen the way the water lawns in Phoenix. Most of the yards are "dished" and they flood the grass with water up to 6 inches deep. If a 914 was parked in the center of the lawn... I know, far fetched...
vin man
Last nite, a local college student purchased the 914 from me. He wanted it as his daily driver so I sold it. I'll find another one!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.