Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Under the heading of "history", we present some......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
Mr Peabody, set your "way-back machine" to the summer of 1981.
1970 Neun vierzehn
more....
Tom_T
So Paul - I'm surmising that the yellow 4 is yours - is the red with "chromies" Pat's?

The Euro 6 is a surprise to see in the hills of KY - esp. that early on.

Obviously in the days before the 914s ran for cover when it rains, judging by the one of the 3 on the Interstate! biggrin.gif

The 914s, the other "drivers", the hair & outfits, etc. - Thanx to you & Mr. Peabody for the trip back in time! This seems like the week for it with me, as our HS 40th sent out emails & we've all been going back & forth down nostalgia lane too! smile.gif

Wonder how many on here even know who Mr. Peabody is!? laugh.gif
.... other than we old fartz that is! lol-2.gif
Ferg
COOL!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 19 2010, 06:45 PM) *

"Euro" ??? confused24.gif

US Side Markers - check
US only engine lid PORSCHE letters - check
US Spec tail lights - check

I don't see anything "Euro" about that car ...
shades.gif Andy
MDG
MORE!!

The shot of Pat cleaning and polishing is a classic! That's either the look of magnificent concentration or it was taken immediately after trying the old, "hmmm, I wonder if I should try licking it . . . "

and Peabody? Who doesn't love a good moose story confused24.gif
MDG
Speaking of tail lights, do both Paul and Pat have Euro lenses in these pics? Really Pat?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(MDG @ Feb 20 2010, 03:22 PM) *

Speaking of tail lights, do both Paul and Pat have Euro lenses in these pics? Really Pat?

Remember, this was 1981! Yes, I had euros F & R because they were cool. Even toyed with mounting euro rear markings, but that would reqire drilling & you KNOW how I feel about that!

Eventually gave the euro F & R lenses, as well as a nearly perfect front chrome bumper to a bud who had piced together 2 wrecked 914's & built a 3.4 (that's right) to put into it. It was awesome!

Yeah, I'm stupid - I try to help the needy, not the greedy. Wish I had the bucks for everything I've given away.
P
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(MDG @ Feb 20 2010, 03:20 PM) *

MORE!!

The shot of Pat cleaning and polishing is a classic! That's either the look of magnificent concentration or it was taken immediately after trying the old, "hmmm, I wonder if I should try licking it . . . "

and Peabody? Who doesn't love a good moose story confused24.gif

Nope, I always have my tongue out when working. Don't ask me why.

As I recall (some memories are still there), I was putting glycerin on the ball jpint boots.

That was a good year for me.
P
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 20 2010, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 19 2010, 06:45 PM) *

"Euro" ??? confused24.gif

US Side Markers - check
US only engine lid PORSCHE letters - check
US Spec tail lights - check

I don't see anything "Euro" about that car ...
shades.gif Andy

Yeah, me too. Wish I could remeber that car. The onlt yella' six from my area was Harry Gompf & that defintiely isn't his car!
P
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 20 2010, 04:41 PM) *

Wish I could remeber that car. The onlt yella' six from my area was Harry Gompf & that defintiely isn't his car!

How's about Jon & Nancy Lowe? That yellow six was theirs.

Paulie
1970 Neun vierzehn
and more.....
1970 Neun vierzehn
again.....
1970 Neun vierzehn
Ashville and environs was a very nice locale.....
Ferg
IMO that is the "ideal" location for a meet. Blue ridge parkway, Tail of the dragon, Biltmore Castle, great roads, tons of local things to do, nice people ect.

Almost moved to Ashville in 1998, Boulder won out with a coin toss (no joke)

Having just been to Keystone Parade, I can say that feild looks much more interesting than the cars we had on the lawn.

Keep them coming!

Ferg
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 21 2010, 09:04 AM) *

Keep them coming!

Ferg

Chuck Stoddard is asking Werner "What do we need to do to get this flat 8 out of this and into my 914?"
MDG
I'm with Ferg - please keep posting these! Pat, you must have tons too.

Now, is that a stone chip!??! blink.gif

Click to view attachment

1970 Neun vierzehn
Werner: "First to open the engine lid we must figure out"

Chuck: "Noooo problem. The factory didn't put an internal release on these babies"
1970 Neun vierzehn
Werner: "To do this, I thought would be difficult"

Chuck: "The tough part will be to distract the factory boys"
1970 Neun vierzehn
Werner: "Das is gut!"

Chuck: "Right on!"

Ferg
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Feb 21 2010, 11:31 AM) *

Werner: "First to open the engine lid we must figure out"

Chuck: "Noooo problem. The factory didn't put an internal release on these babies"

kubelwagen in the background? Any of the racers driven around the grounds?
MDG
Fantastic! I'm going to find that little Peabody guy. Man, I would love to walk around that field.

Totally loving Pat's wheels BTW. And from the look of these 30 year old pics, Paul found the Way Back Machine during his recent resto.
MDG
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Feb 21 2010, 01:42 PM) *

Werner: "Das is gut!"

Chuck: "Right on!"

Considering the 907 tipped the scales just over 1350lbs, that's a nice power to weight ratio.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(MDG @ Feb 21 2010, 01:28 PM) *

I'm with Ferg - please keep posting these! Pat, you must have tons too.

Now, is that a stone chip!??! blink.gif

Click to view attachment

No, it's a piece of lint, or some anomaloy from the photographer. Never had a chip there. Only one elewhere & it is still there.
Pat
Pat Garvey
You know, since it's "my day in the well" for bad Parade pics, lets add this one (shows that I have no pride, nor shame) from the 89 Reston Parade, where I placed a dismal 3rd in the concours (0.8 point spread from 1st to third!), and the winner cheated! Won't go into it any more, but here's my favorite picture from that event. Do I look like a donkey, or what?
Pat
MDG
First, your car looks fantastic. Completely digging those wheels.

The donkey effect probably has something to do with the glass in your hand. Most of us have been there - right after the 'donkey' phase usually comes the 'complete ass' drunk.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(MDG @ Feb 21 2010, 09:17 PM) *

First, your car looks fantastic. Completely digging those wheels.

The donkey effect probably has something to do with the glass in your hand. Most of us have been there - right after the 'donkey' phase usually comes the 'complete ass' drunk.gif

You're correct! I had taken my leave of the lunch & wine that Porsche had supplied.

I was really pissed! 0.6 points sepatrated first and third place. Number 2 car was the best & he beat me by 0.2 points, I'm OK with that. The car that won was a sloppily prep'd car from Virginia & they take care of there own. Shouldn't have even in the mix, yet they made it win.

Still pissed? You betcha! Shouldn't have won, but shoulda been 2nd. The worst loss I've ever had & it had a pronounced affect on me.
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
".....those were the days, my friend..."
1970 Neun vierzehn
"....we thought they'd never end...."
1970 Neun vierzehn
"....we'd sing and dance forever and a day..."
1970 Neun vierzehn
"we'd live the life we chose..."
1970 Neun vierzehn
"...we'd fight and never lose, for we were young and sure to have our way..."
MDG
Thanks for the pics, Paul!

Nice Mary Hopkins reference too. When I was a kid I thought it was Snow White singing that song confused24.gif sounds like the same person when you're 6
johannes
Very nice pictures ...
Is this Ashville in North Carolina ? It's a place I visited about 10 years ago during my first trip in the USA.

Your pictures have faded a lot. Yellow is missing, that's why the grass became blue. You will have to make color correction.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.