Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine # Matches Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
Just courious, how can I tell if the engine in my car, came with the car when built. The VIN# 7472901421 and the engine block # is EB002449=1.7. My car was built 08/73, but the 74 came with either a 1.8 or a 2.0. Mike
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(xperu @ Feb 20 2010, 11:05 AM) *

Just courious, how can I tell if the engine in my car, came with the car when built. The VIN# 7472901421 and the engine block # is EB002449=1.7. My car was built 08/73, but the 74 came with either a 1.8 or a 2.0. Mike

4742901421 !! look above the relay board drivers side inner fender well in the engine compartment at the sticker.
That will tell you if it was originally a 1.8 or a 2.0 Obviously the eb is a 1.8 and about the correct sequence for a 8/73 build date
xperu
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 20 2010, 12:14 PM) *

QUOTE(xperu @ Feb 20 2010, 11:05 AM) *

4742901421 !! look above the relay board drivers side inner fender well in the engine compartment at the sticker.
That will tell you if it was originally a 1.8 or a 2.0 Obviously the eb is a 1.8 and about the correct sequence for a 8/73 build date

OK George, and George "thanks" for all the tech help you have given me me over the years. Mike
type47
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 20 2010, 10:14 AM) *

Obviously the eb is a 1.8 and about the correct sequence for a 8/73 build date

I thought EC was a 1.8... Interesting build date could either be the last 73 or the first 74 depending on the end of the vacation break. Are your gauges with or without the center "dot"/button?
Drums66
QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 20 2010, 10:43 AM) *

I thought EC was a 1.8... Interesting build date could either be the last 73 or the first 74 depending on the end of the vacation break. Are your gauges with or without the center "dot"/button?

.....It is as well(EC-1.8) shades.gif
xperu
QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 20 2010, 12:43 PM) *

Silver dot center on gauge needles. The sticker George mentioned were not there, must have been removed when sandblasted because I do remember paper stickers being there before. Mike
detoxcowboy
some early 74's had silver button gauge ans some did not.. my 74 2.0.. ninth made at least by sequantial engine #''s, did not have silver button, but did have the early temp.. so whooo whoo whoow hoo heee, being as your car is a 1.8 and is still a 1.8 your probably good, I think there is a registry available to check or something but cost some $$$ to get an official letter, I would justy go with it as original in your head until your selling at a concourse level and the paper work gets you more $$ you have a nice car appears un-molested, mine was same way and afterg getting into it I realized unmolested is like ingnored but that also shows you that everything is probably orginal.. just enough work to keep it running unitl some fool me or you dumops the money into it to restore and relaibly drive it w/ confidence, thats my 2 cents on verifying #'s..
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 20 2010, 11:43 AM) *

EB 74 1.8 EC 75 1.8 another way to tell is to look at the rear right of the engine compartment between the two bolts for the right rear top holder and the center engine lid catch, and see if there is a stud sticking forward to hang the charcoal cannister. If so, it was a 1.8 originally.....EASY!

We are neglecting poor Pat's originality and history! (although I think that they should be combined!)
ME733
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 20 2010, 03:11 PM) *

EB 74 1.8 EC 75 1.8 another way to tell is to look at the rear right of the engine compartment between the two bolts for the right rear top holder and the center engine lid catch, and see if there is a stud sticking forward to hang the charcoal cannister. If so, it was a 1.8 originally.....EASY!

We are neglecting poor Pat's originality and history! (although I think that they should be combined!)

...................GOOD GRIEF!!!!......this is the stuff I was hoping to get a thread started in originality section....with photos....I vote that george should start it ....George, after 35 years It,s EASY for you !!!and science fiction to most everyone else!!!......P.S. thanks...M.M.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 20 2010, 02:00 PM) *

some early 74's had silver button gauge ans some did not.. my 74 2.0.. ninth made at least by sequantial engine #''s, did not have silver button, but did have the early temp.. so whooo whoo whoow hoo heee, being as your car is a 1.8 and is still a 1.8 your probably good, I think there is a registry available to check or something but cost some $$$ to get an official letter, I would justy go with it as original in your head until your selling at a concourse level and the paper work gets you more $$ you have a nice car appears un-molested, mine was same way and afterg getting into it I realized unmolested is like ingnored but that also shows you that everything is probably orginal.. just enough work to keep it running unitl some fool me or you dumops the money into it to restore and relaibly drive it w/ confidence, thats my 2 cents on verifying #'s..

That is the longest sentence I have ever read. Whew! I'm worn out. drunk.gif happy11.gif
type47
The reason I asked is that I have an EC engine in my '74 and it is the factory engine.
Dave_Darling
I thought the EB motors were the low-compression CA-only 73 1.7?

The only way I know of to verify that a given engine came with a given car is to get a Certificate of Authenticity for your car from Porsche.... And get lucky. Often they do not include engine or transmission numbers, and sometimes the information they do have is wrong. sad.gif But it's still about the only real way to know.

--DD
xperu
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 20 2010, 02:11 PM) *

Well I checked as you suggested George, but no studs; it was a California car I brought to Texas. I have sense had the engine built out to a 2.0, but after looking through the specs posted on this forum things didn't match up. If I was to sell my car "which I'm not" I want to represent the car as it really was/is, the car seemed to me completely original. The plate frame says OTTOs Porsche Venice CA., so maybe they still have records from the VIN#. Mike
davep
No EB engines were used in the 914. So, not original.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.