Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa seal install?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay so I am ready to install my new windshield targa seal. I started to feed it down the drivers side & only get a few inches down before it doesn't want to feed. I don't want to put anything on there lube wise that might degrade the seal. So what do you use?

Also any other tricks on how you did yours? Does that screw come from under or over. Damned if I can remember confused24.gif
xperu
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 20 2010, 01:28 PM) *

Okay so I am ready to install my new windshield targa seal. I started to feed it down the drivers side & only get a few inches down before it doesn't want to feed. I don't want to put anything on there lube wise that might degrade the seal. So what do you use?

Also any other tricks on how you did yours? Does that screw come from under or over. Damned if I can remember confused24.gif

I used silicone spray, there are places/spots on the aluminium trim that were knocked in by the factory that I bent back out and it went in pretty easy. Mike
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(xperu @ Feb 20 2010, 12:52 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 20 2010, 01:28 PM) *

I used silicone spray, there are places/spots on the aluminium trim that were knocked in by the factory that I bent back out and it went in pretty easy. Mike

excellent advice except silicone grease is the best! Make sure you stretch it out a bit before installing laterally. The two blocks on each end need to face directly backwards, not at all inwards, and bump against the top side seals. That is why the stretching. The factory seals are a little short across the top because of the stretch steel inside of them
detoxcowboy
Feeding it is one way, works well almost all the way if your have new chrome channels and new seals.. I do and still lined it up w/ one side in where it supposed to fit in length nicely then inserted the other side channel 1 dull screwdriver length at a time.. no lube required..
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 20 2010, 01:05 PM) *

Feeding it is one way, works well almost all the way if your have new chrome channels and new seals.. I do and still lined it up w/ one side in where it supposed to fit in length nicely then inserted the other side channel 1 dull screwdriver length at a time.. no lube required..

yeah we tried that for years and then finally transitioned to the straighten the channel and use the silicone grease as they guys pinched too many seals using a less than dull screwdriver and slipping sometimes and scratching the paint on the windshield frame!!!!!!
underthetire
I like silicon wub.gif
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 20 2010, 12:13 PM) *

yeah we tried that for years and then finally transitioned to the straighten the channel and use the silicone grease as they guys pinched too many seals using a less than dull screwdriver and slipping sometimes and scratching the paint on the windshield frame!!!!!!

that is a possibilty but i found it easier then again I took my time.. I just found that some of the seals appear to be ment to slide but in reality better one small section at a time..
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 20 2010, 01:56 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 20 2010, 12:13 PM) *

that is a possibilty but i found it easier then again I took my time.. I just found that some of the seals appear to be ment to slide but in reality better one small section at a time..

Like the top side seals........... IMPOSSIBLE to slide in!!!
JRust
I got it in place finally. I did a combination of things mentioned. I think the key is just going slow. Whatever method you use it is going to be a slow deal. Barring doing it a bunch of times to get it down anyway. I haven't put the little screw in yet. I put my top on & clamped it down to let it set there. Hopefully with the top on holding it. The ends won't shrink up a bit & pull in dry.gif . Thanks for all the helpful tips
Mikey914
Jamie, if this is one of mine PM me your email for the instruction sheet. Takes about 30-45 min to install.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.