Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear view mirror mount removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
I just installed a BMW rear view mirror. Isn't there some sort of solvent to remove the mirror mount that's glued on?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 20 2010, 02:34 PM) *

I just installed a BMW rear view mirror. Isn't there some sort of solvent to remove the mirror mount that's glued on?

The original on the car was stuck with a patch that comes off with a razor blade. If mirror glue was used usually a razor blade started under it will lift the residue off.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 20 2010, 03:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 20 2010, 02:34 PM) *

The original on the car was stuck with a patch that comes off with a razor blade. If mirror glue was used usually a razor blade started under it will lift the residue off.

Heat gun and a razor blade. Or you could just smash.gif then replace the winsheild.. lol-2.gif unsure.gif
detoxcowboy
Thin Slim Thin Flexible Putty knife sharpened slightly then dulled slightly to thin it at the edges. slip in behind base and dig into the glue from all sides and it will comes of in minutes or less. I have done this four times now with same cheap putty knife and actuall only takes a minute or less now.. Razor blade and windex to clean off any residue
d914
mek always works
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 20 2010, 03:02 PM) *

Thin Slim Thin Flexible Putty knife sharpened slightly then dulled slightly to thin it at the edges. slip in behind base and dig inot the glue from all sides and it will comes of in minutes or less. I have done this four times now with same cheap putty knife and actuall only takes a minute or less now.. Razor blade and windex to clean off any residue

Put the putty knife under the mount, tapped it once and the thing popped right off. Cleaned up great with a razor blade. Thanks.
Cheers, Elliot
70Sixter
This is unusual. Ordinarily they just fall off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.