Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 oil tank install ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
I started cutting the holes in Mikes car for the oil tank and wanted to check on the oil line hole. Obviously by measurements I have marked the correct spot but this seems like a REALLY awkward spot to run a line. I wanted someone(s) confirmation it is correct and a pic of how the oil lines are run would be great smile.gif Also where/how does the other line run ?
Gary
If it helps, there's a hole template here, and a picture of an install here.

G
burton73
Scotty B,

These pictures are from –duc’s 3.2 car after they took the engine out right before I got it. I can send you picures from my 6 #41 on Monday but this is what they did on my blue car. I have to weld these up for my V8.

Bob
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
burton73
I am thinking that this car ( My Blue car) had a front oil cooler. I wonder if all 6’s are drilled there?
Bob
Click to view attachmentGint's tank
scotty b
Thanks guys. You've confirmed my measurements. That routing for the line is just fubar IMO, but apparently that's how she be huh.gif I'll cut that last hole tomorrow sawzall-smiley.gif
Gint
It's correct. If you think it's awkward now, wait until you try to get it in!

I'll see if I can dig up the oil routing diagram I have somewhere. That could take a while though.
rfuerst911sc
You will find that the oil fitting going to that one just fits. And I mean JUST fits. Much easier to hook that one up with the engine out. Depending how you're running the lines you may have to cut another hole straight out from that one. That's how I did mine. Ran the -12 hose in front of the engine mount over to the tank. It's tight but once installed looks neat and tidy. Good luck.
IronHillRestorations
There's a flat rubber gasket ring that fits over the lower spigot, and then and a large nut secures the bottom fitting after the tank is installed.

There's two different nylon spacers for the M8 studs, one goes on the stud before installing, and the other goes on the stud after the tank is in place.

There's also a large rubber boot and a snap ring for the filter console hole.

If I can get over to the shop this evening I'll take some pics of the factory tank hardware.
scotty b
That would be great Perry. I don't know if Mike ever had all of that or not, all he gave me was the tank with the one line attatched. I hope he has all that hardware at home unsure.gif
J P Stein
Ayup, that's where it goes.
A serise of pics.
I used SS braided AN 12. Adaptors are needed at both ends.
At the tank connection, I used big washers , steel & rubber snubbed up with the adaptor to hold the bottom of the tank in tight.......that is similar to the stock method at that place.

Not bad order, the last should be first. Nope, it's a hash.biggrin.gif
number6
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 21 2010, 11:21 AM) *

I am thinking that this car ( My Blue car) had a front oil cooler. I wonder if all 6’s are drilled there?
Bob
Click to view attachmentGint's tank

Hi Bob. Yup, the car had a front cooler when I bought it.
Eric_Shea
I always thought it was a weird place for a line as well...

IPB Image
SirAndy
It's a straight shot to the oil-tank through the hole in the engine tin.

In the pic below, you can see the basic line routing although the line wasn't clamped down yet and is just dangling there ...

bye1.gif Andy

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.