Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well this just does not look right
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
Got the tranny on the engine, and noticed my clutch arm, when pulled forward to just contact the fingers on the pressure plate, is quite close to the tranny housing. There is just not much room ( 1cm?) left for the arm to swing back and activate the clutch. WTF? (sorry about the pic quality)

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Did you turn the flywheel? If so, did you shim the ball stud for the throwout arm?

--DD
jeffdon
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 21 2010, 10:39 AM) *

Did you turn the flywheel? If so, did you shim the ball stud for the throwout arm?

--DD

There was some lightening done, but no major changes to the thickness of the flywheel....or so I think. How much travel should the T/O arm have?
underthetire
You would have to remove A LOT to get the arm that far back. Something is missing or fell off during install. You need a lot more travel than that.
underthetire
Did you replace the throw out bearing? Did you measure it to the old one if you did replace it?
jeffdon
QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 21 2010, 11:35 AM) *

Did you replace the throw out bearing? Did you measure it to the old one if you did replace it?

No, this one looks good, reusing it. Have not had the Arm/bearing off the tranny, but perhaps i should be replacing the plastic cup adn clips.....

How much travel should the TO bearing have?
underthetire
Im too sore to get under to check today, but I wanna say at least 1/2"
jeffdon
QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 21 2010, 11:52 AM) *

LOL! After some long wrenching sessions, I feel like I have been beat up. Sucks getting old. Too bad this type of work does not get you into shape!
underthetire
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Feb 21 2010, 12:08 PM) *

LOL! After some long wrenching sessions, I feel like I have been beat up. Sucks getting old. Too bad this type of work does not get you into shape!

Tell me about it ! That was friday I was under the car all day. In my 20's I could work all day and night, 30's all day with no breaks. Now all day with multiple breaks and I still pay the price the next day !
underthetire
Oh, and maybe if you kiss andy's ass enough, you could get him to take a look at it. He's in Oakland too. He probably drinks some weird German beer though.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 21 2010, 01:52 PM) *

QUOTE(jeffdon @ Feb 21 2010, 02:08 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 21 2010, 02:12 PM) *

Tell me about it ! That was friday I was under the car all day. In my 20's I could work all day and night, 30's all day with no breaks. Now all day with multiple breaks and I still pay the price the next day !

Wussies! I'm 62, have had a quadruple bypass, and pulled a motor last weekend by myself!
underthetire
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Feb 21 2010, 01:05 PM) *

Wussies! I'm 62, have had a quadruple bypass, and pulled a motor last weekend by myself!

See what I mean ? Last weekend (plural days) that should be an hour job ! poke.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 21 2010, 03:07 PM) *

See what I mean ? Last weekend (plural days) that should be an hour job ! poke.gif

Yep! 45 minutes saturday to get it ready, then 15 minutes to drop it sunday morning. happy11.gif slap.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Feb 21 2010, 01:10 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 21 2010, 03:07 PM) *

Yep! 45 minutes saturday to get it ready, then 15 minutes to drop it sunday morning. happy11.gif slap.gif

I need to eat more bran then ! bootyshake.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Why? you constipated? BBQ will give ya all the strength ya need.
jeffdon
Aha, its cause i did not have the tranny fully flush against the block. Pulled it and found also that the plastic cup is cracked, so gotta get one of those. No firing up this weekend I guess.

So now i have found a part in a box that i forgot to put on. looks like it goes under the impeller, but WTF is there a V-belt groove on it for? Do I need to pull my impeller and install this? I have seen a space in some diagrams, but not a pulley.

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
AC pulley or smog pump. Haven't seen one in years.
jeffdon
But I dont have AC.....can i just leave this off?
TheCabinetmaker
Yes. sorry, I edited my post
underthetire
Unless you need to smog it and it was for an air pump. If not, there was someone wanting to buy one on here a few days ago.
TheCabinetmaker
great job Jeff. Glad ya figured it out.
jeffdon
Thanks. I don't have the spacer under the impeller either....maybe i should put this in to act as such.

If I DON'T need it, I will gladly sell it to anyone interested.
ME733
QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 21 2010, 03:12 PM) *

.........How about in your 60s....all day break sessions... with a couple of work sessions thrown in ...If you feel like it.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Feb 21 2010, 03:43 PM) *

Thanks. I don't have the spacer under the impeller either....maybe i should put this in to act as such.

If I DON'T need it, I will gladly sell it to anyone interested.

I have one in my 74 that used to have a.c., I left it in for allighnment purposes, no spacer either..
Dave_Darling
You need either the pulley or the spacer in. Best to pull the fan and re-install that pulley unless you have a spacer handy.

--DD
jeffdon
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 21 2010, 08:31 PM) *

You need either the pulley or the spacer in. Best to pull the fan and re-install that pulley unless you have a spacer handy.

--DD

Thanks. And DONE.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.