Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frozen front brake pads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
Title says it.
Look this is NOT for my 914, but it is for a Porsche. Mod may feel free tp move this topic, but I need help fast!

Car (911) has been parked for 4 years indoors. Front pads seem to be frozen to the discs. Don't think it's a caliper problem because they are almost new. Just seems to be an inactivity thing. Rears spin freely.

I jacked the car up to make certain the rears were free - they are.

Placed a 1X4 through the cookie cutters onto the discs. Pounded on it with a rubber mallet. No effect. Truck's coming for this car (sold). Suggestions?
Thanx,
Pat
underthetire
Pat, ive had pads stick, but usually just rocking the car back and forth breaks them free. Good luck man. I hate time crunches.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 21 2010, 04:15 PM) *

Pat, ive had pads stick, but usually just rocking the car back and forth breaks them free. Good luck man. I hate time crunches.

i was thinking a gentle bump with another rubber bumper should do the trick if time is of the essence.
Eric_Shea
Hit them with a big hammer... the car is sold so, it will be the new owners problem! w00t.gif

(sorry Ferg) hide.gif

Seriously, rock it, or pull the springs off the top of the caliper and get a BF screwdriver in there. The new owner will probably want new pads etc. if those are in that condition so... no great loss. Just get them free so you can stick it on the truck.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 21 2010, 08:48 PM) *

Hit them with a big hammer... the car is sold so, it will be the new owners problem! w00t.gif

(sorry Ferg) hide.gif

Seriously, rock it, or pull the springs off the top of the caliper and get a BF screwdriver in there. The new owner will probably want new pads etc. if those are in that condition so... no great loss. Just get them free so you can stick it on the truck.

Eric,
Can you be more specific (diagrams, pics, etc) about the springs.

Sorry, but Ferg is my buddy too & I don't want any surprises for him.
Pat
BTW - they're new pads (five years ago)(zero miles).
Pat
rick 918-S
Did you press the brake pedal? The soft lines my be swelled up inside holding pressure on the pads. You may need to remove the front wheels and do what Eric said.

Dave_Darling
Pretend you're changing the pads: Remove the wheels, remove the pins and spreader springs, and pull the pads out. You may have to apply gentle force to them (e.g., a punch and a BFH) to move them out and break them free of the corrosion which is what has likely stuck them to the pads.

Or you can try pushing or pulling the car (in neutral, with someone in the car ready to steer and brake or use the handbrake) to break the bond.

--DD
McMark
Someone forgot to liberally coat the rotors in oil. happy11.gif

JOKING
Pat Garvey
OK, I knew than answer before I asked the question. Just hoped that someone had found an "easy" fix. Wish this fix could work on a 914.

This is the fix:

1.Remove wheel.
2. Beat (rubber mallet) disc severely.
3. Tap caliper lightly with said rubber mallet. Listen for a click".
4. Insert BFS (screwdriver) into vents. Beat liberally, until movement is noted.
5. Replace wheel & do the roundy round until corrosion on disc is abraded.
6. Go have a drink of something special & wait for the body pains to hit from all the above.

I HATE being old!
Pat

p.s. - you guys were useless for this, and I know you've all done this. Sorry.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 22 2010, 07:00 PM) *

OK, I knew than answer before I asked the question. Just hoped that someone had found an "easy" fix. Wish this fix could work on a 914.

This is the fix:

1.Remove wheel.
2. Beat (rubber mallet) disc severely.
3. Tap caliper lightly with said rubber mallet. Listen for a click".
4. Insert BFS (screwdriver) into vents. Beat liberally, until movement is noted.
5. Replace wheel & do the roundy round until corrosion on disc is abraded.
6. Go have a drink of something special & wait for the body pains to hit from all the above.

I HATE being old!
Pat

p.s. - you guys were useless for this, and I know you've all done this. Sorry.

Useless... maybe. But we still love ya man! wub.gif shades.gif lol-2.gif
Ferg
Thanks Pat beerchug.gif pray.gif
jmill
I've bought plenty of old beaters with frozen brakes. I pull the tire and remove the 2 caliper bolts. Turn the steering wheel so you can get a good hammer angle on both sides of the caliper. I then beat the caliper off the rotor. You'll have a ridge on the rotor where the pad didn't rub. You have to slide it up over that. Use a brass hammer and a wood block so you don't tear up the caliper. It's labor intensive but works without tearing stuff up. You free up the piston with the brake pedal wood block and C clamp. Get it freed up and then slide it back on. You just want it to move not stop good right?
Eric_Shea
you guys were useless for this, and I know you've all done this. Sorry.

I'll be sure to jump in and help on the next thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.