Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: jerky deceleration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r3dplanet
In my '71 1.7 I hate how it decelerates: when I let off the gas, the RPMs drop to idle in about 0.5 seconds. That might be okay on the track, but its a total pain for daily driving.

I'd check the deceleration valve, but there isn't one. Anything else that might cause such a problem?

thanks!
jasons

Lightened flywheel?
r3dplanet
It's possible. The motor has been this way since I've bought it. Is there an easy way to tell?
underthetire
The decel valve would help, should have one stock anyways. You might also be lean on the ECU, if your lean the RPM will drop quick.
r3dplanet
Okay. I'm awakening this thread because another member here sent me a shiny deceleration valve. I can see from the diagram in the Haynes manual where the vacuum lines connect .. sort of.

Does anyone have a good photo of their engine bay with a clear view of how the valve is connected and where it bolts into place? I have an early 1.7 liter engine. What confuses me is that the manual shows the 5mm control port vacuum line is somehow spiked in between a very short vacuum line between the thorax of the intake spider and the auxiliary air valve.

Thanks!
roadster fan
I believe there is a rubber "y" fitting to allow you to make the transition form the plenum and aux. air valve. It has a funny bend in it and a connection for the decel valve.

One of the experts will chime in, probably with a part number or pic.

Jim
underthetire
QUOTE(spankmeister7 @ Jun 6 2010, 08:56 PM) *

thorax of the intake spider

Thanks!

Thats awesome. My new name for the plenum now. I'm just gonna call it the thorax!

I'll take a pic of one and post it if i can find my camera.
roadster fan
porsche part# 022 133 083 is the part you need to configure the system like the drawing i think. Here is drawing Rubber Fitting It is part #4 in the drawing and list. Hope this helps,

Jim
underthetire
here. goes between the AAR and has a little port for the decel control. Obviously not in us on my car with the megasquirt.
narino
Probably a dumb question, but I'm assuming this method is for a FI engine. How would one fix the rapid deceleration on a carburated engine?

underthetire
Put fuel injection on it piratenanner.gif
r3dplanet
Yes, the thorax. Sometimes the exact nomenclature escapes me and I sometimes revert to entomological references. I was looking at the plenum, couldn't remember the word "plenum," but decided it looked liked a spider. Hence the thorax.

I'm so incredibly pleased about the "elbow." Thanks so much! I've escalated from lugubrious despair to propitious hope. How pleasing. Now I just hope that this will cure my deceleration issue. I know that the early 914s like mine didn't have a deceleration valve, but perhaps this will solve my issue. Everything else seems to be tip-top.

I wonder sometimes if the deceleration valve was added to the mix in later models to deal with issues like this, or whether the differences in ECUs simply made the valve desirable.

I just ordered the parts from AA. When I get it installed I'll report back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.