Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front calipers stuck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buhs914
So a couple weeks back when i took my car for a test drive, i noticed that the front brakes were dragging on the rotors. I immediately took the car back and put it up on jackstands and removed the front wheels. Upon inspection i noticed that the rotors would not spin. Should i take the calipers off and rebuild? or is there something else i could do?
davep
There is not much choice. First, check the easy part by opening the top bleed nipples and seeing if that relieves pressure on the pads. If the rotors turn freely, then it is most likely that the rubber lines have swollen shut inside; that tends to tun them into one way valves. Replace with new rubber lines; usually 10 to 20 years is the maximum useful life of a rubber line. The other possibility is that the brake pedal is not returning to rest position; if so, then the pedal cluster needs rebuilding.

If relieving the hydraulic pressure does not allow the rotors to spin freely, then the calipers must be rebuilt. It is almost mandatory that both calipers be done at the same time. Eric Shea at PMB Performance has a great rebuild service, or you may be able to do the job yourself.
underthetire
And if the calipers are stuck, there are tricks to getting the pistons out if you DIY. So feel free to ask here before you proceed.
Eric_Shea
How long has it been sitting?
buhs914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 22 2010, 02:42 PM) *

How long has it been sitting?

it's been sitting for a total of around 6 months. I drove it once or twice since then. I'll have to do the above recommendations and see where that gets me.
Eric_Shea
If they are still stuck; it's probably the calipers. The swollen lines will release the pressure over time releasing the calipers.

So, still stuck = rebuild them.
Release after a short time = new lines.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.