Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Safety Device or Autopower
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
serge914
The Safety Design bolt-on cage seem to be more friendly user with the plate bolted to the firewall. I heard of Kirk Racing that manufacture 914 cages also. Any comment on them ? Are they easy to install ? I will only do driving events for the next fews years, is it overkill? Thanks
machina
I researched all of these and decided to have one fabricated. All those bolts and the loose fit really bothered me.

Also, there are numerous other features that you probably want in your cage...nascar bars, petty bar, rear frame tubes and on and on.

just my .02

dr
Evill Ed
QUOTE(serge914 @ Mar 26 2004, 06:40 AM)
The Safety Design bolt-on cage seem to be more friendly user with the plate bolted to the firewall. I heard of Kirk Racing that manufacture 914 cages also. Any comment on them ? Are they easy to install ? I will only do driving events for the next fews years, is it overkill? Thanks

I've installed the Safety Device cages, they fit well and are high quality. They attach to the longitudinals, not the floor like the Autopower. They are very good cages IMO.

Stable Energies is the US importer / dealer 973-773-4870. Call them and ask Bob any questions you have regarding the installation. Tell him Ed refered you.

Regards,
Ed Villela
VegasRacer
I seem to remember that the Safety Devices cage had smaller tubing and would not work for my needs. Be sure to check the safety and tech rules from the groups you plan to run with.

I have an Autopower cage in my car. It was a bit of a PITA to put in, but it fits great. There seem to be a lot of them at the track.

If I had to do it over again, I would have one custom built.

I will only do driving events for the next fews years, is it overkill?

I sincerely hope that the roll cage, fuel cell, fire system, helmet, nomex and other safety items are never put to the test by me or any other drivers. We all know that is not the case. Most drivers will never find out first hand how well they work. Those that do will tell you it was the best investment they ever made. There is no such thing as being to safe in a race car.
brant
I believe... that the safety devices does have a smaller tubing as an option because it is seamless or something...

anyways.. this is a good thing, because the tubing can rate just as strong and be smaller or lighter weight...

I believe most sanctioning bodies recognize this and will allow the smaller tubing if its within these specs...

of course I think this makes it more expensive too...
check with the sanctioning body too....
Plus I know that a lot of experienced cage builder will specificially use this type of tubing to save weight...

brant
RocknRollFrenzy
Most sanctioning bodies now require seamless tubing for roll cages. if you're thinking about one day doing more than just DE's, i'd find someone that's got a copy of the rulebook of whatever organization you plan to run with and get a cage that meets their requirements.
machina
starting with 2003, SCCA requires all cages to be fabricated from DOM (seamless) tubing.

The size and wall thickness is based on the weight of the car.

In my case we were under the 2500 pound limit, so we could use 1.5" x .095 mild steel tubing.

check your tubing.

dr
ss6
I'm using the Safety Devices cage and am happy with it.

I'm just doing DE's so far, but with all those heavier cars out there with me (and the occasional stray Cayenne ar15.gif ), and lots of guard rails only a few feet from the pavement, I feel a lot safer being caged.

Whatever you do, DON'T put harnesses in unless you put in a cage. If the car rolls without a cage, and you're in there all trussed up with no freedom to bend, things will get messy.

Some poor soul rolled his 993 last fall (totalled), no cage. Lucky for him the car landed on the passenger side and proceeded to emboss the passenger seat in the roof. Our region's instructors too BIG notice of that one...
Greg
Can the the back pad remain in place with Safety Devices roll bar installed? Does the roll bar affect the seat travel?
brant
Greg,

safety devices makes one with and without that backpad-V.

With the back pad V there is helmet fitmet problems..
Plus if you look at the V it is not bolted to anything structural (just the single wall firebarier)...

I say this because I had the model with the V at one point and ended up cutting that piece out.. it was a waste of weight.

brant
serge914
This is such a great forum, Thanks. I am exactly in that situation,John, 5 points harness, race seat and no cage ohmy.gif .
My plan is to race in the Varac ( The Vintage Automobile Racing Association of Canada) series in a few years. I will make sure what they request. I also have a local race shop that does welded cages for around the same price. But I liked the idea of being able to remove the cage from the car later on.
brant
Serge914,

The car that I had my safety devices cage in... I took the cage out and am making it back into a street car.

so I know what you mean.. and not many people ever actually take a cage out later, but it does happen... (now I wish I wouldn't of cut the carpet out around the foot pads, since they are now going to show on the street car)....

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.