Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bringing a 914 into Texas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
So the wife and I are debating a move to Austin, Texas. I could probably start a whole thread about this alone (and the Bay Area folks will probably have a heart attack reading this), but let's get straight to the point:

What problems am I likely to run into bringing my slightly-modified 1972 914 from California into Texas?

I'm not sure what emissions equipment was standard in 1972, but based on my reading of the Texas DMV site, I need it for any vehicle after 1968. My car has Megasquirt and a 2056. I am guessing a Megasquirt EFI is not something they are used to seeing on 1972 914's. Is this an immediate red flag for the inspectors? From 10 feet the engine still looks stock.

My car runs and drives, pretty much everything is on the car and working. I have upgraded brakes, a sideshift and a 5-lug conversion. Otherwise the car is pretty stock.

Any Texans care to chime in?
SirAndy
QUOTE(mightyohm @ Feb 22 2010, 11:11 AM) *

Any Texans care to chime in?

unsure.gif
tat2dphreak
What problems am I likely to run into bringing my slightly-modified 1972 914 from California into Texas?

none. emissions wise, cars 30 years+ are exempt. the safety inspection is basic.. it's $11 and the inspectors won't care if it has megasquirt or carbs, they don't look up to see what "stock" was. the only real inspection for emmisions is making sure you don't have a hole in the muffler/pipes.

you can get the antique plates and be exempt from that, too, and only have to register every 5 years.

btw, Austin is a GREAT place. you will really love it, but I'm sure it's smaller than SF.

DBCooper
I thought it was 24 plus years and you're exempt, not thirty. No? Doesn't matter, with a 75 you're cool either way.

Austin's great, the Texas equivalent of San Francisco in an otherwise very red state.
mightyohm
Thanks guys! (SirAndy, yeah, yeah... dry.gif )

Does the fact that I would be exempt from emissions testing during an annual inspection mean that they wouldn't do a visual inspection for emissions equipment during the first title/registration inspection either? I am guessing they look at the vehicle a little more closely if you are bringing it into the state vs. already in the state... but I could be wrong...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mightyohm @ Feb 22 2010, 01:38 PM) *

Thanks guys! (SirAndy, yeah, yeah... dry.gif )

Does the fact that I would be exempt from emissions testing during an annual inspection mean that they wouldn't do a visual inspection for emissions equipment during the first title/registration inspection either? I am guessing they look at the vehicle a little more closely if you are bringing it into the state vs. already in the state... but I could be wrong...

Nope... no visual, just a safety inspection. After 25 years, vehicles are exempt from emissions tests of any form.

And the tire monkeys that do inspections here are lucky they can find the engine, much less know what was supposed to be on it......

tat2dphreak
they did look under the car to see if the pipes had a hole in it, but that was it. it was a quick glance, check that the emergency brakes, all lights and the wipers work and that was that.

And the tire monkeys that do inspections here are lucky they can find the engine, much less know what was supposed to be on it......

that couldn't be more true, tho... one guy argued that my 472XXX number wasn't the VIN, because it wasn't long enough smile.gif
DBCooper
I did the same move myself, but with Sao Paulo and New York City in between. See how nice Austin is? Your stress level just ratcheted down two notches, and you're not even here yet!

mightyohm
Thanks for the info, guys. It's encouraging to know that I probably won't have a problem registering the car.
Katmanken
Isn't it a requirement in Texas that:

"All vehicles operable on Texas motorways shall provide enough headroom in the vehicle for the driver to wear a cowboy hat while driving" ?????
patssle
When you realize how much money you're saving from lower taxes, you might go buy another 914! Or two. Or three.

you can get the antique plates and be exempt from that, too, and only have to register every 5 years.

The vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. Vehicles displaying Antique plates may not be used for regular transportation or carry advertising. The vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance.
tat2dphreak
The vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance.

"yes officer, I was taking my car by the shop after work"
rolleyes.gif
and no cop here will pull you over and ask... a local teener in plano drives his daily with antique plates. and another with a 911 does the same.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Feb 22 2010, 04:13 PM) *

rolleyes.gif
and no cop here will pull you over and ask... a local teener in plano drives his daily with antique plates. and another with a 911 does the same.

And it is not that expensive to register with regular plates if you are really worried about it. 52.50 in Tarrant county (fort worth area). Plus another 12 bucks for inspection, and that whole pesky "limited mileage" thing is gone.

And how hard is it, really, to make sure the wipers and lights, brakes work, and the tires aren't bald?????? biggrin.gif
xperu
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 22 2010, 04:58 PM) *

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Feb 22 2010, 04:13 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

And it is not that expensive to register with regular plates if you are really worried about it. 52.50 in Tarrant county (fort worth area). Plus another 12 bucks for inspection, and that whole pesky "limited mileage" thing is gone.

And how hard is it, really, to make sure the wipers and lights, brakes work, and the tires aren't bald?????? biggrin.gif

Like he said, I brought mine from California, had it inspected insured and tagged with Antique plates, I live in Galveston County with a short time in line to get it done. You will love Austin, pretty country and nice mountains to run your car up and down. Mike
patssle
You will love Austin, pretty country and nice mountains to run your car up and down

Only somebody in Texas would call those "mountains"!
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(patssle @ Feb 22 2010, 07:05 PM) *

You will love Austin, pretty country and nice mountains to run your car up and down

nope, it's called the "hill country" for that reason smile.gif

but there are some great twisties around there.

914Sixer
I am over here in the Hill Country in Boerne. A little over and hour away.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 22 2010, 11:31 AM) *

I thought it was 24 plus years and you're exempt, not thirty. No? Doesn't matter, with a 75 you're cool either way.

Austin's great, the Texas equivalent of San Francisco in an otherwise very red state.

NO WAY! I live near SF. Austin is nothing like it. I was in Austin in January just to see it after being in San Antonio for a month. I know you Texan's are proud of your state and there are some nice parts. You can keep it. I'll stay here. It is much cheaper to live in Austin and may be a good place to retire.

I will only agree to move to Texas when Chuck Norris becomes President of Texas.
76-914
Austin is an oasis in Texas. Born and raised there. Still own property there. Your gonna love Austin and the people are even better. At first you'll think their nosey but they just care about you. Be prepared to gain about 30 pounds. And remember; they do everything around food. If you invite someone over be prepared to cook something. If you go visit someone remember to bring something to eat. No alcohol in grocery stores. Just beer. No booze can be purchased before noon on Sunday. Most convenience stores have BIG tubs of beer iced down and priced as two-fers. Your given a tall slim paper bag (aka a Texas Coolie) for each beer. No, it won't keep it cold and yes everybody knows it's beer. That wouldn't be proper. Welcome to the south. Mexican food is known as TexMex and makes this CA stuff look like wussy food. It's hot! Best mexican restaurant; Matt's El Rancho. 50+ years. Try their shrimp relleno. It's to die for. Best BBQ in Austin. Rudy's. Best BBQ in Texas is 30 miles SE in Lockhart. Try Kruetz's. Pronounced cryt-sis. 50+ yr's also. Best suset; the Oasis overlooking Lake Travis. Live music capitol of the world. Just remember this. Don't drink Lone Star or Shiner original brew. They taste so badly you'll have to lick your er, uh shoes to get the taste out of your mouth.
And when your cruising a country road during daylight hours and an oncoming cars flashes their lights twice it means RADAR ahead. A wave or a single flash is a thank you, back. Enjoy. aktion035.gif
mightyohm
One thing I haven't figured out yet - why do so few homes in the Austin area have garages?
hot_shoe914

[/quote]

Are these guys any relation to the Ninja Trunk Monkeys? confused24.gif poke.gif
bandjoey
Austin. The tree hugging capital of Texas. Full of liberal pansies happy11.gif no garages due to the earthquake fault and volcanic action from the politicians farting all the time.
You'll like the DFW area. LotS better.
Oh and car registration fee includes a complimentary handgun carry permit w00t.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 23 2010, 05:52 AM) *

You'll like the DFW area. LotS better. w00t.gif

Wonderful city. And a wonderful football team to match. biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
[quote name='hot_shoe914' date='Feb 23 2010, 01:12 AM' post='1277574']
[/quote]

Are these guys any relation to the Ninja Trunk Monkeys? confused24.gif poke.gif
[/quote]

No.. they are no relation to Ninja Trunk Monkeys. A tire monkey has no idea which end of a screwdriver goes in his hand. Ninja Trunk Monkeys know tools and fix stuff.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 23 2010, 07:52 AM) *

Austin. The tree hugging capital of Texas. Full of liberal pansies happy11.gif no garages due to the earthquake fault and volcanic action from the politicians farting all the time.
You'll like the DFW area. LotS better.
Oh and car registration fee includes a complimentary handgun carry permit w00t.gif

agree.gif

Austin is the San Francisco of Texas. The motto there is "Keep Austin Weird". Nice place to go driving, though. And they have the yearly Pun Off on O'henry's birthday. Great if you love to listen to puns.......
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 22 2010, 11:16 PM) *

Austin is an oasis in Texas. Born and raised there. Still own property there. Your gonna love Austin and the people are even better. At first you'll think their nosey but they just care about you. Be prepared to gain about 30 pounds. And remember; they do everything around food. If you invite someone over be prepared to cook something. If you go visit someone remember to bring something to eat. No alcohol in grocery stores. Just beer. No booze can be purchased before noon on Sunday. Most convenience stores have BIG tubs of beer iced down and priced as two-fers. Your given a tall slim paper bag (aka a Texas Coolie) for each beer. No, it won't keep it cold and yes everybody knows it's beer. That wouldn't be proper. Welcome to the south. Mexican food is known as TexMex and makes this CA stuff look like wussy food. It's hot! Best mexican restaurant; Matt's El Rancho. 50+ years. Try their shrimp relleno. It's to die for. Best BBQ in Austin. Rudy's. Best BBQ in Texas is 30 miles SE in Lockhart. Try Kruetz's. Pronounced cryt-sis. 50+ yr's also. Best suset; the Oasis overlooking Lake Travis. Live music capitol of the world. Just remember this. Don't drink Lone Star or Shiner original brew. They taste so badly you'll have to lick your er, uh shoes to get the taste out of your mouth.
And when your cruising a country road during daylight hours and an oncoming cars flashes their lights twice it means RADAR ahead. A wave or a single flash is a thank you, back. Enjoy. aktion035.gif

I'm from outside of Austin originally...

blasphemer! Shiner bock is great! lone star will give you the shits, tho.

there's real mexican food(not just tex mex), too, but you have to know where to look, one such place in austin is called "Guadalahara's" you have to know a little spanish to order there, or just point at the menu smile.gif you can get REAL barbacoa, and Nopalitos and you will be STUFFED for about $5!

another great BBQ place called the county line but yes, Rudy's is great. the original outside San Antonio, tho, and I recommend the road trip. and the prime rib there is great when they have it. we also like catfish down here. other places won't eat it, because they don't know how to get the taste right. but when they do it's GOOD. we cook about 50lbs per summer just for us smile.gif

also, as you know, you won't be near an ocean, but there are a dozen or so lakes and rivers close by, and that is where the weekend hangouts are. boating, water skiing, fishing and drinking beer. smile.gif everyone floats the Guadalupe River and has a second tube full of beer/booze being kept ice cold by the water.

worst part about austin is the traffic. it's worse there than DFW, mainly because hippies don't want to have new roads... but this has kept austin with many VERY nice parks to hang out at.
mightyohm
My experience is that the food in Austin is excellent. I've had some of the best Mexican food in my life in Austin, and that says a lot for someone who used to live in San Diego and now lives just outside the Mission district of San Francisco...

I've been to the Salt Lick and a couple other BBQ places, iron something or other. Can't remember all the names.

The things I am a little nervous about include the change in weather (it's 55 degrees here every day) and the traffic I keep hearing about. Otherwise it sounds like a great place to live.
Dr Evil
Dude,
I will come out and visit you smile.gif Austin is a place in Texas I would gladly live in.
jpnovak
Yes, Austin is a great place.

Registering the car will not be a problem. You will need an inspection when you first bring the car in. They will fill out the "green" sheet. It is a simple lights, wipers, brake check inspection. They will not care about the motor or anything else.

The antique plates are the way to go. 5 year registration and never worry about it. If you drive daily you may want to opt for the window sticker compared with the plate plaque. I have been pulled over by over zealous LEO since he did not see a window sticker as I drove by. There was no questions when I mentioned the antique plates.

Hill Country drives are fantastic. Some of the best roads I have driven. It is easy to be gone for a full day and not find the same road twice. A backroad gazetteer or Atlas is your friend in exploration.

Usually it is only the central Austin homes with a small or no garage.

Look me up when you get here. I organize a group of early 911 owners and we drive all the time. My 914 project is still on stands getting some WRX power.
xperu
QUOTE(patssle @ Feb 22 2010, 07:05 PM) *

Your spot on with that remark! LOL; the highest mountain in the Houston area is a freeway overpass, born a California Son and spending a good part life in the Los Angeles area I can appreciate a nice drive up a curvy mountain road, even Rim of the World or south to Mt. Palomar. Mike
76-914
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Feb 23 2010, 08:31 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 22 2010, 11:16 PM) *

I'm from outside of Austin originally...

blasphemer! Shiner bock is great! lone star will give you the shits, tho.

there's real mexican food(not just tex mex), too, but you have to know where to look, one such place in austin is called "Guadalahara's" you have to know a little spanish to order there, or just point at the menu smile.gif you can get REAL barbacoa, and Nopalitos and you will be STUFFED for about $5!

another great BBQ place called the county line but yes, Rudy's is great. the original outside San Antonio, tho, and I recommend the road trip. and the prime rib there is great when they have it. we also like catfish down here. other places won't eat it, because they don't know how to get the taste right. but when they do it's GOOD. we cook about 50lbs per summer just for us smile.gif

also, as you know, you won't be near an ocean, but there are a dozen or so lakes and rivers close by, and that is where the weekend hangouts are. boating, water skiing, fishing and drinking beer. smile.gif everyone floats the Guadalupe River and has a second tube full of beer/booze being kept ice cold by the water.

worst part about austin is the traffic. it's worse there than DFW, mainly because hippies don't want to have new roads... but this has kept austin with many VERY nice parks to hang out at.

poke.gif Shiner Bock is excellant beer but read my post. "Shiner original brew". I stand by that comment. It's very much like Lone Star, though. The county line kind of gave in to quanity over quality years back. Maybe it's changed. Your right about San An's Rudy's. The one in Schertz, right. And by God; I had forgotten about Catfish & hush puppies. OMG. Your right about the traffic, Wayne. Where you from? Hey, you know what we all forgot to mention that ties in with those great Hill Country roads???? Bluebonnets & wildflowers. From April thru May. One of the most beautiful sites that I have every enjoyed. 1000's of rolling hills painted in beautiful colors.
tat2dphreak
I'm from Burnet originally, and would drive down to Austin on the weekends, or go down to New Braunfels, for Schlitterbahn and floating the river. Llano for the slabs. then party on 6th St. at night.

it's been a while since I ate at the county line, maybe they sold out.

Burnet is actually not a bad little(TINY) and you can take the steam train down there to the antique shops smile.gif

and I think it was only not mentioned because it obvious, Austin is THE place in TX for live music. SXSW music festival, Austin City limits, etc. but the closed Liberty lunch a few years back sad.gif I got to see Rollins band there back in 95. biggrin.gif

I'll live in Dallas for the foreseeable future, but I'll always love Austin.

I misunderstood which Shiner you meant... yea, no one drinks the "original" they drink bock or the new ones, like the steakhouse ale,which has the after taste of a BLT, and is just as filling biggrin.gif
mightyohm
Hey Austin people -

We moved last week and I am now a resident of Austin! (I even remembered to update my profile on the board, see?)

Can anyone recommend a shop to get my 914 inspected at that is going to understand the reversed shift pattern and folding handbrake?? I don't know if I would trust the shop I went to today with the "other car" to make it around the block in the 914.

Help!

zymurgist
My only complaint with Texas is that they haven't discovered the hog. You need them for proper barbecue. poke.gif

Begun, the barbecue wars have... stirthepot.gif
tat2dphreak
they shouldn't need to drive it... except from the parking lot into the bay...

I got mine inspected at a jiffy lube here, but I did have to tell them where 1st was... then the guy just had me drive it in, because he was nervous about it... screwy.gif

tat2dphreak
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 28 2010, 04:28 PM) *

My only complaint with Texas is that they haven't discovered the hog. You need them for proper barbecue. poke.gif

Begun, the barbecue wars have... stirthepot.gif

you were looking in the wrong spot, there's even wild hogs on spits here smile.gif

but yea, brisket is more dominant than pulled pork for sure...

we actually cook a lot of pork back bones, too... very tender and juicy.

and we get wild hogs processed for 2" thick pork chops for the pit. smile.gif
zymurgist
I guess I fail at stirring up trouble. biggrin.gif
patssle
QUOTE(mightyohm @ Jul 28 2010, 01:17 PM) *

Hey Austin people -

We moved last week and I am now a resident of Austin! (I even remembered to update my profile on the board, see?)

Can anyone recommend a shop to get my 914 inspected at that is going to understand the reversed shift pattern and folding handbrake?? I don't know if I would trust the shop I went to today with the "other car" to make it around the block in the 914.

Help!

I was afraid of somebody driving mine as well, but just check that they can speak proper English and have a few brains - and show them the shifter.

All they have to do is test the brakes. Then they'll drive it into the shop where they'll do their thing.
mightyohm
The shop I went to said they take it around the block, drive 20 mph, push the brakes hard and make sure it stops in a straight line. Maybe I should find another shop?
patssle
QUOTE(mightyohm @ Jul 28 2010, 02:22 PM) *

The shop I went to said they take it around the block, drive 20 mph, push the brakes hard and make sure it stops in a straight line. Maybe I should find another shop?

Yes, find another shop. Absolutely no reason to take it in the road. I wouldn't let them take it in the road if it was a 2011 Honda.

My place put it in reverse, went back 100 feeet - stopped. Drove forward 100 feet and into the garage. Didn't turn the steering wheel.
DBCooper
Actually that's the test for motorcycles, but I don't remember it for cars. Could be though, I've never registered one as an antique. They even have lines drawn on their "course" where you start braking, and where you need to be stopped by. I think the regulation might be that the brakes are demonstrated to be functional. Not a bad thing.

Be sure to try Rudy's, that was good advice, or take a road trip to Luling or Lockhart. Mention those names to anyone, they'll know exactly what you';re talking about, and then they'll smack their lips. Pass on Salt Lick. Did they tell you no state income tax in Texas? You having fun yet?
tat2dphreak
actually, as an antique, in TX, there is no safety inspection required.... my current 914 has antique plates...

Grelber
When I got my first inspection here in the DFW area, I told them that they weren't allowed to drive it. He said "OK", and jumped in the passenger seat. We went around the block, and did a brake check.

Antique plates are the way to go. $58.00 registration that is good for 5 years, and NO INSPECTIONS.

Also, with antique registration you can use year-specific plates as well. I scored a really nice set of 1974 plates that a local VW guy restored.
SCV
Welcome to Austin! As others have said, its a fun place to be; good food, music, parks, etc.. I've lived here most of my life and wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Texas.

Check out Guerro's for Tex Mex.

Stephen
mightyohm
Success! I opted not to do the antique plates as I drive the car pretty regularly. Inspection was no problem, I don't know if the guy really knew what he was looking at. I had a harder time getting my "other car" to pass due to some burned out bulbs!

Registration was no sweat, shocking compared to my experiences at the CA DMV...
ConeDodger
My status: Mourning the loss of Jeff and Kylie to Texas. sad.gif
charliew
Actually there is no way in hell austin is like sf.

Ride over to llano to coopers bbq one evening and try the porkchops and you will always want to go back. Then go to the guadalupe in New Braunfels and ride a tube with a cooler of beer. Then when it gets cooler go check out the cave in san marcos. There's also a cave down by san antonio. There's a fault that runs parallel to 35 a long ways it made the caves I think. Also when it gets cooler go try out devils backbone outside of san marcos. Get a map and check out the hill country. Check out wimberly. It'll give you some ideas on what to save up for. You will never miss sf unless you are "different," in this ole country boys opinion. Hope you like to shoot guns, thats a real good pastime, that and setting in the shade watching a stocktank waiting for the feral hogs to show up.

OT but I've got a cousin that lived almost her entire life in long beach and I always just thought she was different, (she really is as she's never been married) till the other day I met a young teacher that works with my wife and she's also from la. After only a few minutes she seemed like a exact duplicate of my cousin except she's about 50 years younger. Same manerisms accent, and all, it was really interesting. Actually I spent a summer in long beach in about 58 and the kids said I sounded like I was from tx but they didn't seem to sound different to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.