Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 MAP?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
hey Brad, (and all you admins-)
What if we had another section to the site-
A US map with a star on it for the location of everyone (their car) and the location of 914 resto/parts places like Pelican Parts, AutoAtlanta, HighPerformanceHouse, etc.
THis could be like a database and just provide some info on where is everybody at?

Sound cool? (yes, your comments are always welcome....) smile.gif
SirAndy
sounds cool cool.gif

my geographical knowledge of the united staes is, hum, "limited" ...
but i could do the programming behind the scene.
madd_dogg_914
I like the idea. It would give us a broad overview of areas that are "914 friendly" in case we were planning a trip or sumthin.
Chris H.
Great concept Aaron.

I'd be more interested in the owners' locations than the shops, as we just don't have many 914's left in this area and it's be nice to know who was where... and...it sounds like we're just about to be down a yellow 914/6 in Illinois any time now..(Bob D's car is all but sold unsure.gif )

Plus, yeah for trips it would be great.
Bleyseng
I like the idea of where everybody is who is posting! I know where all the parts places are-California, duh.
Geoff
Curvie Roadlover
Great idea! aktion035.gif
Aaron Cox
I live in a city of 100,000 peeps. I have seen 2 teeners more than once- and saw one driving through my city. I was just wonderin if they actually live nearby. Alot of the owners arent even part of this group. I pulled over when i saw a red one w/ rivieras parked on a street. got out a piece of paper and wrpte "www.914world.com" and "roadglue.com" along w/ my email address on it. no response yet sad.gif just trying to expand our little community
Aaron Cox
so brad...waddya think? is it doable? mellow.gif
would be pretty cool! driving.gif
Lawrence
Yep.. this would be a cool resource. smile.gif
TravisNeff
you could make a GIS map, and make ie queriable by the input data, density of owners, speed shops, race tracks, parts places etc. Have to do it in ARCVIEW or ARCGIS, or something like that. you can even get trick with arial maps as well, you can get this data for each state - would be qiute a job to get all 50 though.
Brad Roberts
I like the idea. I wanted to do a searchable database doing this same thing but it was poo-poo'd a while back. I have an idea on how we could do this. Several websites I have visited use a map of the USA and make it "clickable" over each state. I'll see what I can do... but dont hold your breath.

Listing companies:

The plan was to stay away from this. I really dont want to list shops/parts places for free and I really dont want to persue charging them (this would be advertising) which is what we dont want.

So far.. everybody who has asked "where to get parts" normally gets answered pretty quickly for their area.

Open to thoughts/ideas.

B
Curvie Roadlover
Brad, I agree about the listing of companies. Like you said, If you ask where to go for a particular part or service, you get an answer pretty quickly. I could see where listing vendors would be openning up a can of worms. Also, with the map function up and running, you'd know who to ask regarding vendors, according to where you live.
Mark Henry
Yes!

But don't forget North America does not end at the 49 parallel, there are some people who live across the border. Also what about those guys from across the pond, some are from the UK and Europe.
Bleyseng
They get "listed" under "other"
Sorry, couldn't resist....
Geoff
914werke
This is what we developed for my organization (shamless plug tongue.gif)
http://www.pinnaclerealty.com/Main/propert...ings/search.cfm

Simple but effective. biggrin.gif

Rich
CIO Pinnacle Realty Mngt.
Brad Roberts
WHOA.. P-E-R-F-E-C-T.

Can we use it... huh huh ?? Can we ??

Very nice. Best USA I have seen on the web yet.

B
Aaron Cox
that is cool! now we could just plop stars or little 914's or fuchs images as location markers. pretty spiffy biggrin.gif
Jeroen
hey... what happened to the rest of canada???
smash.gif

Cheers,

Jeroen
Curvie Roadlover
Those are the only 2 provinces with 914's. There are rumors of maybe 1 in Ontario though biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
I have a friend who can turn that into an interactive FLASH thing. Like.....you hover over the desired state and it pops out at you, and then each "location marker" (fuchs rim, star, mini-teener, etc, etc.) brings up a box of info : member ID, name, year of car(s), location,..etc.

SOund SPiffy or what?should i persue this? mellow.gif
tracks914
Could you add the ten northern states too? (um I mean provinces) rolleyes.gif
Curvie Roadlover
See, I knew there was one in Ontario. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.