Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I might be a dumbass...how to reset odometer?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
Now keep in mind this is my first 914 but I was looking at my speedometer/odometer over the weekend in my 75 chassis. I can't find any " reset " button for the odometer ? dry.gif I looked all over the place so who has the secret handshake to unlock the vault that resets the odometer biggrin.gif ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Feb 22 2010, 02:37 PM) *

Now keep in mind this is my first 914 but I was looking at my speedometer/odometer over the weekend in my 75 chassis. I can't find any " reset " button for the odometer ? dry.gif I looked all over the place so who has the secret handshake to unlock the vault that resets the odometer biggrin.gif ?

Yepp. It's under the dash to the right of the steering wheel.

shades.gif Andy
PThompson509
Unless it has gone AWOL (like mine did). mad.gif

However, if your is indeed missing, North Hollywood Speedometer can build you a replace very quickly (as they did for me). piratenanner.gif

Cheers!
Peter
underthetire
JUST DON"T RE-SET IT WHILE DRIVING. Sorry for the caps, but that will screw up the odo.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 22 2010, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Feb 22 2010, 02:37 PM) *

Yepp. It's under the dash to the right of the steering wheel.

shades.gif Andy

Just took a flashlight and looked under the dash to the right of the steering wheel and I see nada. So it's either gone or I'm blind. Anyone have a picture ?
Katmanken
Mine came loose and the cable and button hung down under the dash. Look and feel around for it.
jt914-6
Speedo with reset cable attached.....

Click to view attachment

Reset knob location. It's the brown one in the pic. (not factory knob) Near the dash brace.

Click to view attachment
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Feb 22 2010, 04:36 PM) *

Speedo with reset cable attached.....

Click to view attachment

Reset knob location. It's the brown one in the pic. (not factory knob) Near the dash brace.

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the pictures. Tomorrow I'll take another look. So to reset the odometer do you push or pull on that knob ?
Cap'n Krusty
Neither. You turn it. The Cap'n
swl
turn
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 22 2010, 05:14 PM) *

Neither. You turn it. The Cap'n

That would have been my 3rd guess biggrin.gif . Thanks
rfuerst911sc
Today I crawled under the dash and there it was just hanging there. It even had the small twist knob on it. I gave it a twist and the odometer reset just like it was supposed to biggrin.gif . Now another question. I currently don't have the kneepad installed but when I do where does this reset cable mount ? Or do you just feel around until you find it ? Seems odd it would just hang there.
Eric_Shea
Right where jt914-6 showed you in his "picture". wink.gif

You might want to start today over! lol3.gif
Kirmizi
You might want to start today over!

Where's the reset button? av-943.gif lol-2.gif blink.gif
Mike
76-914
poke.gif Don't feel dumb. I found mine before I knew what it was. Once I discovered it's purpose I almost drilled a hole for it then I saw the existing factory hole. duh!!!!!!! The factory pad won't interfer with the reset.
rfuerst911sc
Tough crowd of comedians biggrin.gif . I'm coming down the curve of a 3 year plus resto/conversion to a six so I've earned the right to ask stupid questions beerchug.gif Thanks gentleman.
r_towle
remember dont turn it while the wheels are moving at all....
Do it right at the pump..

If your odometer is fubar there is a good article on pelican parts regarding how to fix it yourself...they get broken by people turning the knob when moving.

Rich
Andyrew
Wow, I thought I knew all the little gadgets on these little 914's.. I was wrong! I did not know this car had that!

I guess thats explained by the fact that I have under 2k miles of driving under my 914...
lotus_65
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 23 2010, 09:59 PM) *

remember dont turn it while the wheels are moving at all....
Do it right at the pump..

If your odometer is fubar there is a good article on pelican parts regarding how to fix it yourself...they get broken by people turning the knob when moving.

Rich

this can't be warned about enough. it's a pita to fix and completely unnecessary, just don't touch it while moving.
johnnie5
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Feb 23 2010, 03:49 PM) *

Today I crawled under the dash and there it was just hanging there. It even had the small twist knob on it. I gave it a twist and the odometer reset just like it was supposed to biggrin.gif . Now another question. I currently don't have the kneepad installed but when I do where does this reset cable mount ? Or do you just feel around until you find it ? Seems odd it would just hang there.

Did your car have aftermarket a/c at one point? Mine did, and when I got rid of the 'lower' dash with the a/c vents, I found my trip reset hanging there with an extension on it - but no knob. I removed the extension, re-mounted it in the factory location/hole and purchased a knob from the local flaps.

Here is a pic of what it looked like when I found it...
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Feb 24 2010, 07:57 AM) *

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Feb 23 2010, 03:49 PM) *

Did your car have aftermarket a/c at one point? Mine did, and when I got rid of the 'lower' dash with the a/c vents, I found my trip reset hanging there with an extension on it - but no knob. I removed the extension, re-mounted it in the factory location/hole and purchased a knob from the local flaps.

Here is a pic of what it looked like when I found it...

My car has never had AC to my knowledge as the front trunk has no cutout. I think it was just moved at some point in time for what ever reason. And to the others that have warned about setting this while moving that I knew. Thanks guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.