Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On the FLOOR - ON THE FLOOR?!?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Boldylocks
Lets start with a quote:

"Replace that thing! I had a student at last weekends auto-x whose gas pedal was wobbling all over. The pedal would deflect, causing the accelerator linkage to either stick full throttle or come off completely from the ball linkage.

Cheap insurance.

Bill P. "
-Hopefully some of you remember me. The clueless 914 owner, and perhaps thats why I'm always happy -its a sick love thing wub.gif
HOWEVER, this morning my gas pedal went to the FLOOR and the car seems to be stuck FULL THROTTLE....
Now, I have to work all day, but I have the weekend...and if anyone can point me towards some sort of 'fix it' instructions, or 'find out' whats wrong examples..it would be greatly appreciated.

I pushed down, the pedal stayed down, the engine stayed full throttle, the pedal can be moved up and down and up and down, and well, crap! HELP please..
garyh
I've seen this twice.

1st time was a bad accellerator cable. The return spring isn't strong enough for a bad cable.

2nd time was a bad gas pedal. The internal hinge had rusted. (Rust? In a 914?)

3rd time was a DAPO job on the return springs.

G.

(Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!)
Boldylocks
If its a bad cable, will I feel some sort of play with the cable? From what I remember (and its hard to remember with all the drugs) but from what I DO remember its that there did seem to be a cable I could feel with my hands that seemed to not be catching any fish. Is the solution near the engine, the pedal, the cable,,,

Do these things ever just COME unhooked. Because I know the rubber bands that keep the doors from flying open seem to brake every soo often and ......

You know, this must be love because these cars can really make you emotional...or then again, perhaps it was suddenly flying through my neighborhood at 60 heading to 70 without any sign of slowing and swooping around all the little kids going to school was JUST LIKE A MOVIE...I turned on the radio and found some great 80s tune and was enjoying it...
NOT.
boxstr
Check down at the wood floor board and pedal area, one or both could be the cause of hanging up and causing your full throttle mode.
If that proves fruitless, then go back and chek the cable and the return springs in the engine bay. New cable is always "a good thing" so that may be on yuour adgenda of things to change.
Keep us posted, alway s like to know the results.
CCLINGETINSITDOWNANDHOLDON
SirAndy
easy things first.

1) check the throttle return spring.
it's in the engine comp. on the throttle body. (under the air-cleaner). the spring is supposed to be attached to the engine sheet metal in the back.
you can also test for a sticking cable there, just move the TB-lever by hand and see if it moves fairly easy.

2) check the pedal-cluster.
make sure the throttle pedal moves easy up/down but NOT left right. if you checked 1) and the cable wasn't sticky but the pedal does not move up/down easy, suspect the pedal cluster.
they *do* rust. if so, you need to get a rebuild kit (call rich at HPH).

3) if the gas-pedal moves left/right, the hinges are toast (rust again). you will need to replace it.

4) if the throttle cable is sticky, you need to replace. (yes, you guessed it, they too do rust)

Andy
Jeffs9146
Here is a discussion we had not to long ago!

Pedal Repair

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.