Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT ....What the heck is going on
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
I just dont get it. Yesterday at 11 am regular unleaded was running $1.68. Went pass this station again around 5:30pm last night and it was $1.89.
Just went to the post office and its now $1.82 WTF.

I just don't get it, how can gas jump 21 cents in a afternoon then the next day start creeping back down. I sure would not want to be the one doing the book keeping wacko.gif

Are prices jumping like this by you?

- G

I'm not complaining. I know its not going to get any better.
RonnieJ
I had the almost exact same price increase/decrease as you here in W.Va. You got me blink.gif
KaptKaos
You are too lucky. Here gas is well over $2 a gallon. I think $2.19 last time I look for regular, and that's at CostCo.

Welcome to California.
Sammy
The big oil companies are screwing you wink.gif
Boldylocks
The prediction for us Southern Cali nutz is that we will spend THREE BUCKS for gas before this year is over...
Man, this makes me so happy I literally cant contain the pee....
WEeeeeEEEEeeeee...

Now..someone answer my dead gas pedal question...please.

Is it an easy fix...
its STUCK in full throttle but the pedal can be moved up and down....
what usually SNAPs with this type of problem...

1973 914....
KaptKaos
That is one UGLY cat!!
GWN7
Jumped from $0.62L to $0.78L here Wensday (times by 4 = US gal.) or $2.38 US a gal now
Boldylocks
We are pretty spoiled folks though...

For the smelly breath folks amongst us...its strange that a .2oz container of Binaca -whatever that stuff is...

Costs more than $2.00, but folks gladly put on the shiny suits and cute shoes, head out to chase down the womenz and spend that 2 plus dollars without hesistation...
AND THEN
,... complain when they have to pay more than 2 bucks for a heaping gallon of GAS to get out there and chase them ladies....

Please...we are lucky, and we are very very SPOILED...
and I wont stop complaining about that GOD DAMN expesive BINACA!!!!
till gas prices drop. I've been around ONE too many people who have level 9 breath of death...if Binaca was cheaper I bet that would change...

Damn gas prices cause soo many problems...like a butterfly in central park...
seanery
Garold, it's the weekend screw. We get that every weekend down here. Wednesday it'll be say $1.59 the Thursday evening it'll jump to $1.79 or $1.84 then it will slowly work it's way down to where it started by Sunday. Then the cycle repeats itself. As crazy as this sounds, I prefer the LA way, the price just didn't change much, maybe a couple cents, it's higher than here, but more consistent.
eeyore
Here's my theory on the gas prices in California:

The gubmint has caused a situation that fostered a monopoly. I don't know if its still the case, but a few years ago, CA required different seasonal blends for winter and summer. Now they require a 'cleaner' blend than every other state in the union. There's also the environmental issues that probably fosters the decrease of refining capacity in the state. Now, I don't suppose too many refiners were willing to take the overhead hit of switching production every 6 months. How many had the capacity to switch to producing the CA-only 'cleaner' blend, especially in the post-MTBE world? The result is only a few (evil big business!) refiners could afford the overhead of producing gasoline for CA. The refiners may be gouging CA consumers, or they could simply be trying to recoup the overhead expense of dancing the oft-changing tunes played by CARB.
seanery
Also, consider that each state taxes fuels (diesel, gas, natural gas, kerosene) differently. In CA, I believe they post how much of each gallon is tax. It's quite high.
J P Stein
Well, lessee.
28 different "blends" required in 50 states.
No new refineries built in the US since the 80s...we now import 10-20 % of our refined products.
Gas hog pickups & SUVs.
Then there's the big one:
CHINA.
It's only gonna get worse, folks.
914ghost
Yes, all of this illustrates the need for someone to figger out the swap of a TDI into a 914.
Its the only thing that will keep us poor kids on the road someday soon.
I'd feel a bit odd putting deisel in, but if i can get 45+ mpg AND decent performance I may be able to live with it.
Its gonna happen so I'm calling "NOT IT" . smile.gif
-Bob O
Marlow
I guess I'm lucky . . . I just filled up my Tundra here in Northern Virginia and paid $1.59 a gallon for regular. Cheapest I could find it. Spent almost $35 on a 26 gallon tank (needed about 24 gallons). I saw $1.96 at a gas station in Washington DC today but they seem to average in the $1.80's.

Joel
Mueller
just filled up the Volvo 16 gallons....2.07 for regular......ouch..
campbellcj
You guys outside of California have got it good... my cars take 91 so I don't watch prices for regular but I've been seeing 2.55 for 91.

On the way to work I drive past one of the most overpriced stations I've ever seen. (Malibu Colony 76). I betcha they will break $3.00 by Memorial Day.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 26 2004, 08:33 PM)
You guys outside of California have got it good... my cars take 91 so I don't watch prices for regular but I've been seeing 2.55 for 91.

Hey! We in Nevada get our gas from Cali. Their stupid refinery problems cause us problems. It's $2.05+ for regular crap here.

I think it's some conspiracy to get people to take the bus. Why else would they make all these 'safety' features mandatory that adds weight and cost to cars but to make it so fewer people afford them as transportation.

Oh well, life goes on.
campbellcj
I would have to imagine that gas prices in Hawaii are thru the roof! Any members from there?

Fortunately we can (er...do, at least) charge a lot of vehicle costs to business use but it still is getting pretty gnarly. (That's a technical term here in SoCal). I guess it serves me right for buying cars with average mpg's under 20, and moving to the burb's so the wife and I are driving a combined 40k miles a year or so wacko.gif

It -almost- makes me start to miss our old diesel Jetta. (The old-school NA version, 60hp on a good day but decent torque. I saw 53mpg in that car on one road trip.)
anthony
Richmond Costco today:

$1.98 Regular
$2.19 Super
Andyrew
I think I payed 2.25 or so at chevron yesterday for premium.

Andrew
tracks914
93/litre here for 91 octane. That's 3.72 a us gallon. Good news is 89 octane is only 79/litre that's 3.16 a gallon.
Tx Bush for the Iraq invasion. That really brought the price down....NOT
It's up about $1 a US gallon since the war. finger.gif
Mr.C
I bought a short block last week for the old diesel rabbit. This ones turbo charged with a callaway manifold and a better than stock turbocharger. Can't wait to get it going again with the way prices are rising.
With the fuel and boost turned up it was actually quicker than my 1.7 914 and got close to 50 miles to the gallon! mueba.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.