Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 lug conversion question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
I'm getting set up for my 5-lug conversion, and ordering the last few parts(front bearings, brake pads, etc.

my -4 suspension has new ball joints and tie rod ends. I'm hoping these can be saved... what has been your experience? will these still be usable? is there a non-pickle fork method that helps these be saved?

agentblr
Yes and yes. Just substitute a different nut from the tie rod and whack it with a BFH should pop right off. Everything else will bolt right up driving.gif
Eric_Shea
Depends... you have a 72. Do you have late model ball joints or early? Do you have late model 911 struts or early?

Ball joints will be strut dependant.

Tie Rod ends are the same. Using a proper pitch fork you should be able to get them loose without destroying them.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(agentblr @ Feb 23 2010, 01:46 PM) *

Yes and yes. Just substitute a different nut from the tie rod and whack it with a BFH should pop right off. Everything else will bolt right up driving.gif

DON'T EVER do it that way! Odds are you'll mash the threads or otherwise damage the tie rod end. Have a helper pry the tie rod upward (or downward, as the case may be) and hit the casting surrounding the tapered tie rod end with a BFH. Most times you don't even have to pry, it'll just pop loose when you whack it. I leave the nut on loosely so the thing doesn't fly out and hit something. Use an appropriate amount of force with the hammer.

The Cap'n
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 23 2010, 03:46 PM) *

Depends... you have a 72. Do you have late model ball joints or early? Do you have late model 911 struts or early?

Ball joints will be strut dependant.

Tie Rod ends are the same. Using a proper pitch fork you should be able to get them loose without destroying them.

it's a late 72, wedge pin. the 911 front end I'll be bolting on is off a 73 911 (boge struts)

I was less worried about the tie-rod ends, I think I could tap those out with a punch or the side.

the ball joints are tougher. I was thinking those might be able to be done by removing the top pin, hten tapping the A-arm then doing the bottom castellated nut last.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.