Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Trunk Hold-Open Springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfort
I thought I remembered a discussion about this before but I can't find it. I need either to stretch/tighten the springs or to remove them entirely and install the 911 shocks to replace them. I am tired of holding the trunk lid open with my head or a yard stick. I am not strong enough to pull them out farther. What is the trick?
maf914
I have the same problem. There are a couple of notches remaining on the spring bracket and I wonder if I can pick up enough tension if I stretch it to the longest position notch.

The Haynes manual, page 198, lower left corner, Figure 10.17, shows a spring being stretched. It shows a heavy wire loop around the spring end hook - picture an oval wire loop. A horizontal lever bar is then passed through this loop and the end of the lever is placed behind the shock bushing. The handle end of the lever is toward the center of the car and the spring is stretched by pulling the lever toward the front of the car.

I haven't tried this yet. Looks like a lot of spring force involved. Don't know how it compares to the rear lid torsion bars for body alteration power! I have played with those before! laugh.gif

Let us know how it comes out!

Mike
Brad Roberts
I can do them by hand "barely" I suggest you find a coat hanger and wrap it around the wooden handle of a hammer and pull towards you. They are not that stout. Currently we dont have a bolt solution for the 911 struts... but it has been tested.

B
ChrisFoley
There is much less force stored in the front trunk springs compared to the rear trunk torsion bars.
I have successfully pulled them forward to another hook by wedging a large screwdriver between the coils and pulling with both hands, but I like the method mentioned above better. smile.gif
Mueller
the only caution I have is that if you do the coat hanger trick, make sure you are not pulling the handle towards your face...we'd hate to see something slip and you end up with a broken nose or missing a tooth wacko.gif

i use a thick leather welding gloves and just grab the spring.....
SpecialK
Might not hurt to have an assistant hold the trunk all of the way open while you adjust the spring up a notch.
seanery
Brad & Jeff,
Didn't Brad and I try to move his when we were in Ohio? Or did we just talk about it?
boxstr
I have done the R&D on the front trunk shox kit. Just waiting for the proper shox to get to me here at CAMP 914.
When they arrive I will send out a bulletin and they will be available from CAMP 914.
CCLINSHOCKING
mskala
I remember Brad convincing me they could be pulled by hand
a few years back. I am in nowhere near the shape I used to
be, but grabbing the spring with my leather yard work gloves
was enough to pull to the next (and last) notch.
Gint
BTDT. Go read this thread.
rhodyguy
ther was a car at the a-x last weekend that had a setup similar to camp914's strut kit on the front. better hurry craig. the coat hanger works great.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.