Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CSP Style Dual Carb Bellcrank Linkage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I was in the market for a new dual carb linkage my weber idf's. I searched around and decided on a bellcrank style linkage. I liked the CSP linkage however I wanted to spend around $100 (the csp is around $150 with shipping). I found one that looked decent on TheSamba.com. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=660468

I decided to purchase one. It cost right around $100 with shipping and paypal fee. It took about 10 days to get from GB to US. I installed it a few days ago. The quality is very good. I have installed it and my first impression is that I should have thrown out my crossbar a long time ago. Much more precise and easy to use than the crossbar type. The problems with this were that I had to rig something up for the bellcrank return spring (very easy- took a couple minutes) and it is necessary to rig up some sort of throttle cable hold.

Overall very pleased.
bobhasissues
Show us some pictures with this installed.
I'm curious to know exactly where the crank is designed to be mounted.
tornik550
Just ran out and took a quick picture. I unhooked many parts of the engine earlier today for a different reason. Please note that the linkage is not adjusted yet. Also, I made a quick throttle cable mount that didn't work well so I took it off (thats why the throttle cable has so much slack). I am in the process of making a new one. I like the location of this linkage- it makes the engine bay seem less cluttered.
tomeric914
Nice linkage!

Are you running without the thermostatic flaps in the shroud?

Are you running the stock oil cooler?
tornik550
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Feb 23 2010, 09:37 PM) *

Nice linkage!

Are you running without the thermostatic flaps in the shroud?

Are you running the stock oil cooler?

Yes and no. I did remove the thermostatic flaps. I have read that it is a bad idea but I still was compelled to remove them. I've got an external oil cooler. I don't remember the size of hand.

So far, I am very happy with the linkage especially considering it cost $100. I'm having trouble making the throttle cable mount- mainly due to lack of time and material (10pm at night).
tornik550
Does anybody know what the technical name for the rod indicated in the picture? It is threaded on both ends- normal threads on one side, reverse on the other. FYI- the threads are 5mm x 0.8 pitch.

I am thinking that it may be easier to synchronize the carbs if they are longer since my engine is wider than normal (engine spacers...). I can't find a place to buy the rods because I don't know what they are called.
r_towle
looks good and I would like to see what you come up with for a cable mount once you get that setup.

Rich
r_towle
You might want to just get rod stock and two dies to make your own.

Rich
McMark
You can buy replacement rods from McMaster-Carr as well, in various lengths.
E-Man
It's called a threaded rod. McMaster-Carr or http://www.midwestcontrol.com/
tomeric914
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Feb 23 2010, 10:17 PM) *

Yes and no. I did remove the thermostatic flaps. I have read that it is a bad idea but I still was compelled to remove them. I've got an external oil cooler. I don't remember the size of hand.

Removing the flaps changes the airflow balance between both sides of the engine as well as the "throw pattern" of the air over the cylinders/heads.

I'd keep an eye on your cylinder head temps. Westach makes a nice dual cylinder head temp gauge that fits in a 2-1/16" dia opening.
tornik550
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Feb 24 2010, 06:06 PM) *

QUOTE(tornik550 @ Feb 23 2010, 10:17 PM) *

Removing the flaps changes the airflow balance between both sides of the engine as well as the "throw pattern" of the air over the cylinders/heads.

I'd keep an eye on your cylinder head temps. Westach makes a nice dual cylinder head temp gauge that fits in a 2-1/16" dia opening.

I was under the impression that the flaps would mainly cause an uneven cooling of the engine when the engine is being warmed. From what I understood, I thought the flaps were completely open when the engine is hot. Is this true?

The reason that I took them off was that I bent the flaps when I was rebuilding my engine. I took them off to rebend them and I forgot to reinstall them. I noticed once the engine was back in the car.

DBCooper

I haven't used it (no more aircooled cars), but my sons have used that linkage off and on (also CB and Berg as the cars come and go) since it was introduced some eight or ten years ago. Works great.

IPB Image
Gint
That is a CSP linkage setup. It's just used. Which is fine, just posting so you know. I purchased a CSP linkage setup a few years back and just never got around to installing it. Story of my life actualluy...
tornik550
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 24 2010, 07:28 PM) *

That is a CSP linkage setup. It's just used. Which is fine, just posting so you know. I purchased a CSP linkage setup a few years back and just never got around to installing it. Story of my life actualluy...

I purchased the linkage thinking that it was used. When I received it, I checked it out, I really don't think that it is used. I say this for a few reasons- 1. there are absolutely no signs of use, 2. the guy has been listing these for about 2 years, he has apparently sold many of them. Regardless- my opinion is that this setup is FAR better than the crossbar.
Cap'n Krusty
Interesting. Porsche used a similar setup on the early 356s. When they went to the Zenith carbs, then the Solexes and then through all the multiple throttle body 911s, they changed to the cross shaft with drop arms. I've always found that style more stable and easier to adjust and to hold the adjustment. I've probably tossed 50 or more of the bell crank style linkages over the years. However, Jake's new cable linkage seems to be the real answer.

The Cap'n
Gint
It's a CSP copy then. Doesn't really matter... regardless.
tomeric914
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Feb 24 2010, 06:17 PM) *

I was under the impression that the flaps would mainly cause an uneven cooling of the engine when the engine is being warmed. From what I understood, I thought the flaps were completely open when the engine is hot. Is this true?

When warm, the flaps are open as far as they can go and they direct the air. On the oil cooler side, the flap covers the oil cooler when cold and then moves up to allow air through the oil cooler and over the heads and cylinders.

Removing the flaps in their entirety does 2 things. It provides an unbalanced airflow (ie. one side gets more airflow than the other because the pressure balance has been changed from how it was designed) and the ability to direct the airflow is lost.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.