Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Tachometer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
I did tune-up and driveability for over 20 years within GM dealers. I had always known a tachometer can cause ignition problems but never had one cause any problems at work.
I'm sure you have figured out my 8 cylinder converted 914 unit was causing me problems. I had some misfire issues intermittently, always the best kind of failure. Well it started to really miss, brake down even at light throttle today. I decided to pull over and pull the plug, but I had the wiring sealed up tight and couldn't remove the wiring at the coil. The great thing about a 914 is you can pull the gauges right out. I disconnected the tack wire and it ran perfect.
Andyrew
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Feb 23 2010, 08:50 PM) *

I did tune-up and driveability for over 20 years within GM dealers. I had always known a tachometer can cause ignition problems but never had one cause any problems at work.
I'm sure you have figured out my 8 cylinder converted 914 unit was causing me problems. I had some misfire issues intermittently, always the best kind of failure. Well it started to really miss, brake down even at light throttle today. I decided to pull over and pull the plug, but I had the wiring sealed up tight and couldn't remove the wiring at the coil. The great thing about a 914 is you can pull the gauges right out. I disconnected the tack wire and it ran perfect.

Weird.

Coil or HEI?
drive-ability
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 23 2010, 09:04 PM) *

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Feb 23 2010, 08:50 PM) *

Weird.

Coil or HEI?

I am running Edelbrock tune port injection, just like on the mid-late 80s Camaro and Corvette. It has a coil and a signal amp. I have seen a lot of tachometers react to a bad plug wire etc but this was different, it would gain rpm when the engine wasn't . Maybe there is a root cause still laying in wait like the signal amp which may have a week signal, at this point I don't know... I am going to connect another tachometer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.