Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rubber Brake hoses.... where to get
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wayne1234
Well I'm finishing up some of the tedious stuff... I knew the DAPO had put on some stainless braided brake hoses, but after reading how they can fail without warning on here. I looked at them some more they are new but it looks like they are some sort of "generic" set up... there is no DOT label and also there is not a slot to mount one end of them the the spindle WTF.gif So these need to be changed, I'm going to go the more reliable rubber ones, but I know I am missing some clips, and does the hard line look correct? I remember reading but cant find it now that the is a "hat" clip that is somewhere. it that for the front spindle? I looked at the bird site and didnt see it maybe I'm blind... I have ordered most of my stuff from the bird site, I looked at the AA site once early on and it was hard to navigate through so just went back to Pelican...so where else should I be shopping for my brake parts, so I can make sure they are not a generic and have the mounting slots and some new clips?? I have the same situation in the rear also and will be replacing them as well... Thanks
type47
PET figure 604-05 shows a change in the design. The break is up to and including 71 having the "hat" fittings and 72-on having a clip (U-shaped slide on clip). What year is your car?
jonferns
Look over the hard lines see if any are crushed or kinked, you can pick up hardlines at your FLAPS. As far as the soft lines go, definetly replace those stainless-braided lines, most (IIRC) aren't DOT approved; you can get the rubber hoses from GPR:

Front brake hoses
Rear brake hoses
wayne1234
car is a 74, although who knows if the front suspension was changed at some time... what would I look for? I will post pics my phone has been updating for the last hour...
Has anyone got these hoses from gpr before and can verify that they have the right mounting slots? I think they need to be on both ends.... Thanks
jonferns
Wayne, I also have a '74, I forget whether it clips to the strut or not. Here's the best pic I have of my car, if you'd like I can get a better pic in the next few days. Give Jonathan at GPR a call and ask him if that's what you need.

Click to view attachment
kconway
If the tab on your strut has a slot, then you use the clips. If it's a hole without a slot to slide the brakeline onto then you use the hat. My 74 has bilstein struts and had the slot. I'd be willing to bet you need the clips.

Kev
wayne1234
I have that clip at the body, mine is currently not clipped at the spindle.......

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
kconway
I think your missing an inline "coupler" between the SS flex and the hardline that accommodates the clip. You definitely need the clip. My SS lines had a coupler.

Look at this SS line, note the slot for the clip. Change your brake lines. The bird has DOT approved ss lines but I have no experience with them. It looks like the photo of the rubber lines also has the slot for the clip.

Click to view attachment
wayne1234
So is the coupler part of the new rubber line? Seems like it should be...

confused24.gif
By the way what is a PET figure as mentioned by type47 earlier??? what am I missing confused24.gif
kconway
Look at part 281-611-775B-M33 on page: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._BRKhyd_pg3.htm

The photo of the rubber lines shows the slot for the clips at both ends, one for the strut and the other for the tab in the wheel well like Jon's photos shows. You can go with either rubber or SS with clips and should be okay.
type47
QUOTE(wayne1234 @ Feb 24 2010, 08:04 AM) *

By the way what is a PET figure as mentioned by type47 earlier??? what am I missing confused24.gif

Ohhh, be ready for spending many unproductive hours! I was lucky early in my 914 interest to pick up a parts manual that lists "EVERY" part on a 914 with information about how many, model years, descriptions, sizes..... this manual was my bible on how to assemble a 914 and used to order parts by part number. The PET is an updated modern digital version of the paper manual, it's much like the parts diagrams you see on the Auto Atlanta site.

Found a link, let's see if this works:

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...914_KATALOG.pdf

Worked for me. I think this is one of the top 3 things a 914er should know about/be familiar with. The same type of document is available for almost every Porsche model (at the same address as the 914 katalog.)
wayne1234
Holy Crap cheer.gif How have I missed this PET before... I just scanned through there a little bit. Thanks for the link it works great. I cant tell you how many times I have wondered if there is suppose to be a washer here type of thing... or messing with the assembly of something mine was missing, which takes forever... my factory binder set helps alot , which I didnt always have, Yep I can see spending alot of time referring to things as needed... I cant say Thanks enough
strawman
QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 24 2010, 08:30 AM) *

Worked for me. I think this is one of the top 3 things a 914er should know about/be familiar with. The same type of document is available for almost every Porsche model (at the same address as the 914 katalog.)

Wow, that is cool. I tried to find one for a 911, since I'm using a 911 front suspension and front/rear brakes. Do you know where I can find that one? I tried a Google search, as well as fuching with the above URL (i.e., replace 914 with 911) but came up empty.
Geoff
strawman
QUOTE(strawman @ Feb 24 2010, 10:48 AM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 24 2010, 08:30 AM) *

Wow, that is cool. I tried to find one for a 911, since I'm using a 911 front suspension and front/rear brakes. Do you know where I can find that one? I tried a Google search, as well as fuching with the above URL (i.e., replace 914 with 911) but came up empty.
Geoff

Ahhh, just found it for a 1977 911:

https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi..._77_KATALOG.pdf

I ended up searching "PET 911" using Google. Enjoy!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.