Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: is the 901 trans a posi?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
craig3x
will it spin both tires if doing a burnout?
Krieger
Probably not, unless your lucky. Jack up your car so the rear is in the air. Turn one of the wheels. If the other wheel turns in the same direction you have "posi"
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(craig3x @ Feb 24 2010, 07:54 PM) *

will it spin both tires if doing a burnout?

Very few 914s were ever equipped with locking differential. Also I doubt that a four cylinder 914 could do a burnout without highly abusing the car!!!!!
shaggy
i have never seen one that was from the factory and i have taken apart a lot of 914's and 901's.
only ones i have ever seen were quaife torque bias diffs. really nice. really smooth but you pay the price.

-jim
messix
QUOTE(shaggy @ Feb 24 2010, 08:16 PM) *

i have never seen one that was from the factory and i have taken apart a lot of 914's and 901's.
only ones i have ever seen were quaife torque bias diffs. really nice. really smooth but you pay the price.

-jim

nice looking yj shaggy!
pcar916
Burnouts and a 914... got a spare mainshaft or two? piratenanner.gif
shaggy
QUOTE(messix @ Feb 24 2010, 08:29 PM) *

QUOTE(shaggy @ Feb 24 2010, 08:16 PM) *

-jim

nice looking yj shaggy!

thanks its getting there. waiting for spring break to swap axles and finish the lift.
just a little more time...
-Jim
Bleyseng
I have seen one LSD factory 914 tranny and one 901 LSD diff out a 911 I kick myself for not buying when I saw it..
Dr Evil
I have rebuilt factory LSD 901 boxes. They are rare, and not cheap. The standard diff is open so you can peel out due to all of the power being diverted to the slipping wheel. With LSD or TB diff you have a harder time burning out due to the wheel that is hooking up getting power.
craig3x
well watch the end of this video and tell me what you think. I couldn't tell if I was spinning both wheels
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0CUlLecxbo
sean_v8_914
one legged willie
sww914
The transmission mainshaft is 1/2 as thick where 1st gear attaches as the rest of the shaft. Don't do burnouts in your 914, sell it and get a Mustang.
zymurgist
I'm guessing the V-8 guys can do 914 burnouts in 2nd gear. wink.gif
pcar916
QUOTE(sww914 @ Feb 25 2010, 08:00 AM) *

The transmission mainshaft is 1/2 as thick where 1st gear attaches as the rest of the shaft. Don't do burnouts in your 914, sell it and get a Mustang.

In addition the 901/914 transmissions are cantilevered on the intermediate shaft, meaning unsupported in the rear behind 1st/reverse gear. That's an even more serious problem with 1st gear burns.
SirAndy
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Feb 25 2010, 08:30 AM) *

I can lay down 30 feet of rubber taking off in 2nd. With 9" GoodYear schlicks. cheer.gif

And they don't squeal like a street tire, which is really weird. Just smoke and no noise.
driving.gif Andy
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 25 2010, 10:55 AM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Feb 25 2010, 08:30 AM) *

I can lay down 30 feet of rubber taking off in 2nd. With 9" GoodYear schlicks. cheer.gif

And they don't squeal like a street tire, which is really weird. Just smoke and no noise.
driving.gif Andy

My Ford cannot help but to burn every time I gently feathes the accelerator pedal. My 914 never will because I don't abuse it!!!!!!!!
Madswede
O'Brien's 914 finally at sea level two years ago (almost exactly). Of course, this isn't a 901 trans, but still.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b370/ser...nt=PICT0032.flv

(UPDATE: Not sure if the video is working - I can get there, but can't get it to play) headbang.gif

- Nelson
Dr Evil
the rotary vid is clearly only burning the left wheel. Not posi.
whatabout1
You'll pop the 901 gearbox.

I added a Quaife about 20 yrs ago and treat 1st gear very kindly.
Mike Bellis
My V8 seems to have no problem breaking both tires loose. It's hard to keep the 245/45/16's with a 60 compound tread wear stuck to the pavement. The PO did some "race" tranny work. I wonder if he installed an LSD along with the taller 5th?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 25 2010, 05:42 PM) *

the rotary vid is clearly only burning the left wheel. Not posi.

agree.gif
Bleyseng
I put a LSD in my Westy so I can do burnouts on gravel, its fun!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 25 2010, 10:25 PM) *

My V8 seems to have no problem breaking both tires loose. It's hard to keep the 245/45/16's with a 60 compound tread wear stuck to the pavement. The PO did some "race" tranny work. I wonder if he installed an LSD along with the taller 5th?

Chances are you do not have an LSD or TB diff as they are about $1200-1400 plus cost of installation and set up. But, maybe you are lucky.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 25 2010, 07:41 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 25 2010, 10:25 PM) *

Chances are you do not have an LSD or TB diff as they are about $1200-1400 plus cost of installation and set up. But, maybe you are lucky.

Maybe he welded the spiders when he had it appart.

BTW... I am lucky!
Dr Evil
Welded spyders is a stupid mod that makes your car very dangerous. You will have the worst understeer/no steer of your life. Then it will be all over wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 25 2010, 07:43 PM) *

Do you drive around corners? idea.gif

If so, it's not welded up ...
shades.gif Andy
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 25 2010, 10:41 PM) *

Really? From what? How does it handle? Are you FOS?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 25 2010, 07:49 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 25 2010, 07:43 PM) *

Do you drive around corners? idea.gif

If so, it's not welded up ...
shades.gif Andy

I know it's not welded. I had a Shure Grip in my Mopar. around every corner the inside tire would squeel as it lost traction.

As far as cornering... I prefer to drift... MDB2.gif
J P Stein
I flogged the crap out of my 901, with & without an LSD. Both lit up the 10 inch slicks (yes, even the non-LSD)......and finally broke a CV. I switched to 2nd gear starts and it still spun em' on demand. I did find one needle bearing cage broken (but the needles were not adrift) during a tear down. The 901 is stouter than you may think. Recently Brit put in a light weight clutch/flywheel package......that made it interesting. Now to launch you bring up about 4-5K on the clock (SWAG...no tach actually), side step the clutch while ramming home the gas....nice long black marks....no big deal, I don't even say OMFG!!! cause that is expected.(tis fun, tho.) You wanna baby your trans? Try some preventative maintenance to keep it happy.

BTW, the clutch/flywheel & some internal trans gutting took more than 20 lbs of rotating weight out of the drive line.
sean_v8_914
I agree. I believe that most 901 horror stories are based on 30+ yr old trannys that have not been gone thru. before I put my V8 in mothballs, second gear tire frys were a daily event. now I HAVE A 64 rANCHERO FOR TIRE FRYING DUTIES
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 25 2010, 07:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 25 2010, 10:41 PM) *

Really? From what? How does it handle? Are you FOS?

Its a Peloquin LSD and handles great plus hill starts in rainy Seattle aren't a problem anymore. I now can drive the Westy up steep gravel roads in the mountains without traction problems. Put one in your bus.
Dr Evil
my bus has a power glide auto from a chevy
Eric_Shea
Those who would like to do burnouts in a 914 should do lots of them...

It's a Darwin thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.