Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: headlight high/low relay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kwtruck
received new relay today from pelican parts. has one extra terminal more than original one. its marked as # 30. do I need to jumper anything or just leave it unconnected?
shaggy
in a normally functioning relay 30 is your power in.
standard 5 pole relay right?
30 85 86 87 87a?

30 is power in from fuse or where ever.
85 and 86 are your mag. when energized they create a magnetic field which will switch power from 87a to 87 or vice versa depending on whether the relay is normally open for closed.

most relays normally(at rest(85 86 non energized)) have a circuit between 30 and 87 and when energized have a circuit between 30 and 87a if i remember correctly i dont have a relay on my desk to confirm this.

-Jim
pcar916
If you're talking about the dimmer relay 111 941 583 there should be a solid red wire from a constant 12v source on the "30" terminal. Not red with a white stripe, which is 12v switched on the 56 terminal.

The little yellow/red wire (on the S terminal) is the ground tickler from the dimmer switch on your steering column. When it is momentarily clicked it switches the power from 56 between 56a and 56b.

If you're looking at the factory wiring diagrams, F is actually 56b on the relay.

Note: There is a circuit difference between the wiring diagram (which doesn't show the "30" terminal) and the relay. The relay powers one side of the coil from "30". The wiring diagram powers that side of the coil internally with 12v from "56". Logically, they both get the job done.

Good Luck
kwtruck
the old relay terminals are 56, 56a, 56b,and S. the replacement relay has the same terminals but with an added # 30 terminal.
Tom
I went through this some time back. New relay required a jumper. Sean V8 914 answered my question, but I can't get the search function to work for me. Don't remember the jumper connections. Maybe you can find the thread.
Tom
TheCabinetmaker
Jumper wire from #30 to #56
pcar916
Guess I could've been more concise.

30 Red constant 12v from fuse box
56 Red/white switched 12v from headlight switch
56a White To high beam (alias F)
56b Yellow To low beam
S Yellow/Red To Dimmer switch (ground)

Good Luck again
kwtruck
thanks for the info. good people & easy to understand replys on this forum.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Feb 25 2010, 06:18 AM) *

Jumper Jumper Jumper.. It has been awhile but I intailly ran without jumper and could not lock on top high beams without holding the stalk until the jumper was installed..
pcar916
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 25 2010, 08:40 AM) *

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Feb 25 2010, 06:18 AM) *

Jumper Jumper Jumper.. It has been awhile but I intailly ran without jumper and could not lock on top high beams without holding the stalk until the jumper was installed..

agree.gif I've never had it jumper'd it because it's just too easy to run a solid red wire from a fuse 4 inches away! So I haven't tested that. Frankly it should work fine with a jumper!!!!! But it won't without it!!

Really, run a solid red from a hot 12v fuse to the "30" terminal and ground the metal canister. It's as easy as installing a double blade adapter, or soldering the wires together... you guys do solder right? It's the only permanent way... IMHO.

I have seen some replacement relays that are plastic. Haven't used 'em.

Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.