Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone seen any well sorted 912Es?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaime
I'm looking for a 1976 912E to use as a summertime daily driver and have been having a horrible time finding one that's a/ well sorted and b/ reasonably priced. It doesn't have to be perfect, I just don't want it to come to me with major stories and chronic troubles. Any price tag north of 10K just won't work for me, and much less would be much better. (Maybe I have unrealistic expectations? Wouldn't be the first time!) And, for sure, it wouldn't have to be able to pass a smog test, because I don't live in a smog-test state.
I've poked around through all of the ones currently available online -- at Samba, on eBay, some of the Craigslist ones -- and haven't seen any that fit the bill.
So, I thought I'd stick my nose in here and see if one of ya'll knows of one.
Mucho thanks for any help and/or suggestions and/or leads you care to offer!
VaccaRabite
Well Sorted
91*
Cheap.

Pick 2.

Zach
tat2dphreak
a local guy here has a well sorted 912 E, 200k miles on the latest engine rebuild, daily driver.

buying one like it for under 10k... GL

I haven't seen a 911 or 912 under 10k that I would look at as more than a donor.
mepstein
It's hard to get a deal on any large advertising site or media. If there is a deal, it's gone in seconds. The real deals are word of mouth, careful asking/hunting around and making offers on cars that are not even offered for sale. I just got offered a 914 LE for free. It's just a roller but it wasn't listed on any advertising site. Ask your local Porsche repair shop if they know of anyone who might want to sell. Deals are often made, not just found.
zonedoubt
I looked at a really nice one about 6-7 years ago for around $9K. I kick myself for not pulling the trigger on buying it.
Ferg
You have a better chance at buying a 74-77 911 that is decent for less than 10k than you do a 912e...
tradisrad
SF Bay Area http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1610364480.html
Cevan
QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 25 2010, 11:40 AM) *

You have a better chance at buying a 74-77 911 that is decent for less than 10k than you do a 912e...

That's b/c it's likley gonna need engine work. $$$$$$
sean_v8_914
good description...
one year only
less than 3000 made
red headed step child untill reciently]
goood luck
Ferg
QUOTE(Cevan @ Feb 25 2010, 10:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 25 2010, 11:40 AM) *

That's b/c it's likley gonna need engine work. $$$$$$

Only if you buy the wrong one shades.gif I'm just saying for 10k or less, I'd rather buy a "sorted" mid year, than a uber high mile SC or 912E.
Al Meredith
I have owned 3 912Es , The one I have now #3 is SN 265. I bought it 3 years ago here in ATLANTA, for $5500. 102000 miles from the origional owner. It needed everything, everything for the brakes, new tires, new shocks. shift bushings, tierod ends. The PO said he had the engine rebuilt for $8000 about a year ago. The RMS was leaking badly, we found the seal and the rear bearing was loose. I built a 2056 with Jake's parts, and It runs very strong. I love driving this car, lots of torque (120 FtLbs at the rear wheels from 2500 to 5500) great aroud town and has plenty of passing power in 5th at 70MPH. It still needs paint.

I'm relating this story because you should be able to pick one up for less than $8000. Over $10000 should be in VGC.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 25 2010, 10:40 AM) *

agree.gif I've even see a few early 80s models for around 10k, and even if they needed engine work hey would be very well sorted afterwards. so for 12-15k you can have a VERY nice car. I've even looked at a few of these 911s to become daily drivers... a good 3.0L engine can last a long time when properly maintained.
jaime
Thanks, guys, and I do see what you're saying: the odds of finding a well sorted E at 10k or below, well, they aren't good. All I'm saying is, if you happen to see one and you're feeling charitable, let me know!

As to the mid-year 911s, if I could find one at around 10k that had all the work done to it that *needs* to be done, I'd be a happy camper. Sadly, all the ones I usually see have had half to none of the work done and are priced out of this world or have had all the work done and are priced out of this world. I see em on craiglist for pretty hefty sums -- more than I'd pay, at least -- but I think most of them probably don't sell.

All I'm saying, really, is that I'd like a 912e for less than ten grand, because if I'm going to have to pay too much more than that, it'd make much more sense for me to get an SC. That sound about right?

Thanks!
Cap'n Krusty
PM me. There's a 912 E local to me that is probably for sale. All there, doesn't get driven much, runs well.

The Cap'n
tat2dphreak
As to the mid-year 911s, if I could find one at around 10k that had all the work done to it that *needs* to be done, I'd be a happy camper. Sadly, all the ones I usually see have had half to none of the work done and are priced out of this world or have had all the work done and are priced out of this world. I see em on craiglist for pretty hefty sums -- more than I'd pay, at least -- but I think most of them probably don't sell.

that's the deal, you have to be ready to take those "cheaper" 911s the last leg of the relay to get them where they really SHOULD be. but it can be done
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.