Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How far would you drive to attend a 914 event?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
Like the pole says. I'm flying a trial balloon by all of you to see how far you all would realistically consider traveling to a 914 event. I'm not picking a location or starting a new event that will land on or interfere with all the things we have going now. I'm just thinkin if there was a all 914 weekend in the middle of the country how far would people travel to attend?
EdwardBlume
I've never been east of Reno on the ground... with my trailer and some music.. I could enjoy that....
SirAndy
I drove from CA to Arrr-Kansas in a 914, so this should be a piece of cake ...

How about a build week at your place to get the raspberry car back together? We could rent a celette bench and have some fun ...
w00t.gif Andy
SirAndy
Just mapped it out on Google, too funny.

Basically, get on I-80 in San Fran and go for 1,800 miles, then turn left in Iowa.

av-943.gif Andy
ConeDodger
Putting together an event in Two WhoreBars Rick? lol-2.gif Fall Colors Ramble?
tat2dphreak
all about timing, more than 6 hours in the 914 and I'd probably have to take an extra day. MUSR is a perfect example. in the CRV I could probably do it in 1 day, but in the 914... 2 day trip.
EdwardBlume
The longest trip in my 914 was from Santa Maria to Sacramento and back. I was 11 years old.
Andyrew
Longest trip in my 914 was to San Jose from modesto.

Didnt make it back, overheated... Flat towed.. (didnt help it was 113 outside)
Phoenix-MN
Since my car is actually going to be drivable this year driving.gif I voted 1000

MoveQik
I'm about a 10 hour drive max guy. Anything more and you have to break the drive up into different days and that is too many days away considering it isn't a family vacation.
agentblr
I'm in kansas city but I'll go 8 hours in any direction driving.gif
shoguneagle
I think a lot depends on the planned event and what it consists of. I have been know to drive a 1000 miles at a drop of a hat to very interesting events; otherhand, I have been known not to drive around the block to attend some events. It depends on what the event is and who is planning on attending.

Steve Hurt
Todd Enlund
A lot depends on finances and timing. For a weekend event, 1000 miles seems realistic... From here, even Denver is 1200+

If money weren't an issue, and I could afford two weeks... then there is no boundary.
High Path
I'm in the twin cities. If I get it running smile.gif And if I solve my charging problem smile.gif I'd be willing to drive 100 miles or so. Duluth would be a fun trip.

How much does it cost to tow a car 150 miles blink.gif No, really, I suppose I should know that before I stray so far from home.

I'd love to attend. If you hold this closer to Mpls the odds of my making it would go up.

I'll find out next month if I'm getting laid off, with 14 months severance (please, oh please... aktion035.gif ) if so then I'll have lots of time to get the car in better shape, and will be looking for excuses to drive it some place.

driving.gif

How come every poll I look at claims I've "already voted" when I know I haven't?
confused24.gif
ejm
I never have a problem driving as far as the airport.

btw.. which weekend is summer in Duluth?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ejm @ Feb 25 2010, 06:19 PM) *

I never have a problem driving as far as the airport.

btw.. which weekend is summer in Duluth?

I think you must have earned your wings by now.

It's the one just after I take off my thermo-underpants and the one just before I put them back on. dry.gif
championgt1
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 25 2010, 09:42 AM) *

Just mapped it out on Google, too funny.

Basically, get on I-80 in San Fran and go for 1,800 miles, then turn left in Iowa.

av-943.gif Andy

You could take the 914 limo and travel in STYLE!! party.gif
Sleepin
We run about 600 miles one way to Phoenix for the Route 66 Ramble every year...but that is a special event. So 1000 miles round trip for anything you put together! poke.gif lol-2.gif
markb
I drove 1000 miles each way to go to an event hosted by a brewery. But my motives may be suspect. biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
This year is within 200 miles one way - 100 one way with the teener (as that is the range of my AAA and the car has not proven itself for longer trips yet.)

I used to have no problems driving 700 miles one way for events, but that was before I had a kid and grad school.

Next summer, the rules will change. Or not, if we have another kid this year. We will see.

Zach
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I regulary drive 489 1 way to Hershey , 1,000 is very doable. And I am a old

man (71) with bad back and hips. Drove to MSUR once in my pick up , that was

a 2 day drive. 1,000 miles in a 914 is very douable. I can do the drive to

Hershey in 7 to 8hrs. depending on traffic . As long as I am alone , ( no wife )

. What ever you plan Rick you know I will be there if physically possible.

Dave slap.gif

The trip of a life time would be to drive the 914 to the West Coast Event but I

really don't see that ever being possible!
bandjoey
Anything beyond 1000 has to include a whoopie cushion and someone cute to talk to.
hot_shoe914
Well, I am not really sure. If I have the time I would go coast to coast and border to border. I know you probably don't believe that but oh well. I did just do 1650 round trip to the Buttercup build. That included a litte snow driving also. Made the first run non stop after driving all day for work. Broke it up coming back though.
lotus_65
icon_bump.gif

could be a big event...
rick 918-S
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Feb 28 2010, 09:47 AM) *

icon_bump.gif

could be a big event...

agree.gif I should have said how far would you drive for the event of events!

Just sayin... shades.gif
mikelsr
I put 500 miles but would do a 1000 miler (I just completed a +2800 for the trip to Daytona).
ChrisFoley
My dad's family is having a reunion in MN sometime this summer.
I don't know if I would make the round trip drive in my 914 though.
If I could combine an SCCA event at Road America along the way I might consider towing the race car.
Its about 1400 mi to Duluth from here.
ClayPerrine
We did 650 to the Atomic Ramble in Abq (Still can't spell it) and 750 in two days with 2 914s to Huntsville Alabama for the Rocket city ramble.

We were also considering the WCC before I got laid off......... Now I don't have any vacation time until late fall, and that is reserved for MUSR 11.

pete-stevers
914 may be mothballed for a while.....
But while i would love to get out to see the guys
i think i will be spending my time working on my 59 single cab
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.