Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rivieras 15 x 5.5 $254.99 OBO
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
sean_v8_914
Riviera wheels in fair to good condition. These wheels are 15 inch by 5.5 with the Porsche 914 offset. They are 1 inch wider than the Riviera offered for bugs. Bolt pattern is 4 x 130mm typical to 4 lug VW bug, Beatle, karmann ghia, square back, notch back, type 3, type 4, Porsche 914 and Porsche 924. A little elbow grease and you will have nice alloy wheels for dirt cheap. they were on a forest green car and are painted to match that car. make me an offer I cant re-use. c'mon, insult me. I dare ya.
sean_v8_914
b mnhb
sean_v8_914
hbkmgh
sean_v8_914
fvcfddsfdyhsfthftsjsft
sean_v8_914
vcnvcznzc
Tom_T
Sean - those look like the "brushed aluminum" finish which are on the ones which I have on the set on my 73 914-2.0 since 75 or earlier.

To check, it will have tiny parallel ridges on the unpainted aluminum areas.

If it is the brushed finish - for those potential buyers out there:

A. - These are the true original Rivieras made for the 914, based on the smooth angled outer lip of the wheels at the tires (later "fake"/repro Rivieras have an up-turn "L" at the rim edge). Although he doesn't show the original plasti-chrome center caps with the "R" logo, there's a pic of mine below for reference.

B. - The brushed finish were far more rare than the polished version, if you like the "satin look" finish. However, they were all aftermarket wheels - not a Porsche/VW factory option (although some dealers sold them back in the day).

C. - The finishing process is different than for the polished version, wherein you'll need to clean it up with 000 steel wool, a fine wire brush or wheel to get the oxidation off, then polish to satin finish with Simichrome or similar chrome polish, etc. However, you need to be very careful to neither brush/polish off those tiny brushed ridges, nor to deepen them with the wire brush/wheel.

Pix of my polished aluminum Riviera alloy wheel with center cap:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The original background areas' color on these was a satin black as shown on these, but mine are a bit rough & haven't been cleaned - let alone redone, & have sat in my garage with my 914 on blocks for 24 years, after 13 as a DD for me & orig. owner before me.

The pix above give you an idea of how & where to repaint the background at the rim & spokes, as well as the center cap design (repro replacements are available from vendors at TheSamba.com classifieds).

Hope this is helpful to all interested.

Good Luck Sean! beerchug.gif
Tom_T
PS - if they are indeed brushed aluminum finish, then they're probably in much better condition than Sean thinks guys & gals - and should clean-up very nicely for a reasonable effort!
Tom_T
piratenanner.gif
PS - if they are indeed brushed aluminum finish, then they're probably in much better condition than Sean thinks guys & gals - since they're supposed to have that "less shiny" satin look to a certain extent, and should clean-up very nicely for a reasonable effort!
biggrin.gif
bdstone914
Your mother dresses you funny. There is your insult. chair.gif

Those wheels appear to have the correct offset for a 914 which allows the use of wider tires than most of the VW offset Riviera wheels will allow.

Free bump.
Bruce
sean_v8_914
interesting. i had noticed some time ago that there were different looking Rivis out there. Ill post some closer pics to see if these are real OG Rivis.
dont make me post a pic of my patchy pants.
Tom_T
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Feb 26 2010, 05:06 AM) *

interesting. i had noticed some time ago that there were different looking Rivis out there. Ill post some closer pics to see if these are real OG Rivis.
dont make me post a pic of my patchy pants.

Sean - you can already tell that those are the original Riv's by comparing the rim edges to mine. What you need to do is get a close-up of or just look at & determine if yours are brushed alum or polished (smooth) finish.

BTW - IIRC "OG" = "Original/Old German" but Riv's were American mae IIRC (not German in any case).

icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif
sean_v8_914
bmp
jonferns
Did my friend Nick give you a call yesterday?
sean_v8_914
yup.
oldschool
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Feb 28 2010, 01:08 PM) *

yup.

Sean I know I write funny but answer my PM yes /or /no
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.