Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intermittent wiper troubleshooting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Marlow
I pulled the wiper rack yesterday to clean and lube all the linkages while I've got the gas tank out. It seems that I have the intermittent wiper relay under the hood on one of the cowl support beams. I have four clicks to my wiper stalk on the column; dead, dead, slow speed, fast speed. Which position is supposed to be "intermittent" and does anyone know how to troubleshoot the relay and switch?

Thanks,
Joel
Hi_Fi_Guy
All the way down is Intermittent. You should get

wipe, 10sec delay, wipe, delay, etc.

If you have access to an owners manual there is a good description of the functions.

Ironically the base Boxster I have still uses this sme type of system... you have to pay the extra ten grand for a Boxster S for fully intermittent wipers. In 914 land you have to buy a 914-6 to get the same.
SirAndy
pulling the lever towards you will make the wipers run 4 times
while you squirt fluid on yer windshield.

can also be used to trigger a electric washer pump to run.

to get the 4th position (all the way down), you have to notch the cover on the column to enable the lever to move down all the way.
also note that not all models had the 4th position option ...

Andy
Marlow
My wiper switch already has the 4 positions. The two lowest ones do nothing (one of them should since that would be "Off"). Problem is that I have the intermittent delay but not sure how to diagnose the wiring for that . . . was hoping someone here like Bowlsby would know. The only electrical diagrams I have are from the Haynes manual and they're hard to find. I have yet to find a mention of intermittent wipers. They seem to claim that the relay I believe is for the wipers is for a "Headlamp cleaning system" which I've never seen!
Rog914
Just installed one on my car a week ago & works great. To check your wiring go to the "Classic Message Threads" then to "Wiper Relay Instructions" that Sir Andy did. Thats how I installed mine and gives lots of good info.

To start off check and see if you have 5 wires coming off your relay. When I got my wiper relay harness it only had 4 wires coming off and I thought that I had got ripped off until I read Sir Andy's thread to find out that the fifth (5) wire was in the car's wiring harness with the connector. The reason I'm saying this is when I put that fifth (5) wire into the harness, it "clicked" into the wiper relay harness kinda weak. Like it might fall out if you take the relay out and plug it back in. So you might want to check to see if all the connectors are firmly in the W/R harness.

Hope this helps

Ralph

74 2.0
94teener
Wiring diagram for the "flick-Wipe" system are right in your Haynes manual, Page 165.

Phil
Marlow
Ok, all my wiring seems to be there but my relay number is a bit different than SirAndy shows: my relay is 111 955 531 and SirAndy's article shows 477 955 531. Even though the first three numbers are different is it the same relay internally? The diagram on the side of the relay looks similar but I can't compare exactly since the photo has flash reflection on it.

Anyone got an idea of how to benchtest the relay itself? I pulled the plastic cover off the relay and can make it "wipe" if I push on the relay contact but otherwise no go.
brant
Also....

does anyone have an extra one of these relays they want to sell...

I just figured out that PO stole this relay from my car, which explains why the wipers don't work right......

brant
Marlow
Can anyone confirm that I should be getting 12 volts on the brown/black trigger wire when the wiper switch is at the lowest position? I'm thinking I might have a problem with the wiper switch but want to confirm my finding.

The relay seems ok, I get the 4 wipes when I pull on the lever to spray cleaner on the windshield.
Rog914
Joel, Yes the bosch 111 955 531 was replaced by bosch 477 055 531A which I think both are NLA I think. The one I got in my car is the bosch replacement by SWF-Germany and works great. It had the bosch 447 955 531A p/n on the box when I got it but not on the relay. Got from a CA vendor (forgot which one) for about $60.00. So where still available but not by bosch.

Sorry, I don't know how test the relay.

Ralph

74 2.0
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.