Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock Passenger Door Mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aircooledtechguy
I scored me a passenger door mirror today on CL. Now I need to get ready to mount it.

1. Do all the cars have the captured nuts under the door skin similar to the drivers door that just need to be drilled out through the skin?? If so, I assume drilling from the inside of the door out is the way to do this??

2. If not and I will have to add my own nuts to the screws, does anyone have the correct location I will need to locate it so it's usable?? I know it needs to be aft of the drivers side a bit

Thanks!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Feb 26 2010, 09:01 AM) *

I scored me a passenger door mirror today on CL. Now I need to get ready to mount it.

1. Do all the cars have the captured nuts under the door skin similar to the drivers door that just need to be drilled out through the skin?? If so, I assume drilling from the inside of the door out is the way to do this?? yes and yes remove the door panel and push a sharp punch upward through the two tapped mirror holes, which will make small dents on the door skin and then you can drill and tap.

I guess that you do not have the "TECH TIPS 700" book?

2. If not and I will have to add my own nuts to the screws, does anyone have the correct location I will need to locate it so it's usable?? I know it needs to be aft of the drivers side a bit

Thanks!!

carr914
Yes the capture nuts are there
rick 918-S
There is a mirror installation thread here someplace. Check the search and see of you can find it. I used a punch through the captured nuts in the door to mark the location of the mirror. Once you have a light mark from the bottom you can re-punch it from the top. Drill carefully through the skin only.
plymouth37
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 26 2010, 09:27 AM) *

I used a punch through the captured nuts in the door to mark the location of the mirror. Once you have a light mark from the bottom you can re-punch it from the top. Drill carefully through the skin only.

agree.gif
johnnie5
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Feb 26 2010, 10:08 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 26 2010, 09:27 AM) *

I used a punch through the captured nuts in the door to mark the location of the mirror. Once you have a light mark from the bottom you can re-punch it from the top. Drill carefully through the skin only.

agree.gif

I did this job a few months ago, fairly cut and dried. Be careful not to drill into the threads of the nut and not to let your drill bit wander on the door skin!
rfuerst911sc
1. Remove inner door panel.
2. Look with a flashlight in the vicinity of the mirror mounting location you will see the nuts.
3. Take a spring loaded punch and center within the nut and make your punch mark.
4. From outside you will see the dimple. Take punch on the outside and make mark on outside.
5. Take drill with drill bit slightly smaller than needed and slowly drill hole. Once you have a hole you can visually determine if you're centered or not.
6. Drill final hole size carefully.
7. Take mirror screws and run them in and out of the holes.
8. If you have done well you can install the mirrors. If not some filing to clean the holes may be needed.
9. Install interior door panel and drink beer and marvel at your success ! biggrin.gif
aircooledtechguy
Thanks for all the great info guys. Yeah, I did try the search function. . . I guess I'll have to get my 9 y/o to help me with that in the future headbang.gif shades.gif

Thanks again. beerchug.gif
jcb29
The Tech Article is on the bird's site. I drilled the two holes from the outside without removing the door panel. On the left side, carefully measure the center point location of the rear hole. Transfer that location to the right side. Center punch and drill 1/8" pilot hole then carefully expand hole size with progressively larger bits up to 3/16" making sure you are centered over the bolt hole after each larger drill bit. Do not exceed 3/16" bit size because you will ruin the threads of the bolt welded to the inside of the door skin. Measure and drill second hole. Smooth edges of metal door skin with a rat tail file, touch up bare metal, let dry - mount reversed mirror with the correct screws and the hard rubber trim.
KELTY360
Hey Nate, is that a convex mirror?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.