Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horizontal window fuzzy strip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Ed or Doctor...(and anyone else doing this)
I saw you making new window fuzzy stips for Buttercup, with some kind of orange tube under some kind of felt material but was too busy to really watch.

What materials did you use, and a brief build description please.. i.e., glued down, crimped edges, etc.

Also, if anyone has a pictures or 2 of this during the build process, please post. These looked better than factory when installed in the door, and I need to make smash.gif some too. Thanks Mucho!
rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
no need to make them inner and outer are quite cheap now as they have the outer in exact reproduction and they are good!!

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 26 2010, 06:02 PM) *

Ed or Doctor...(and anyone else doing this)
I saw you making new window fuzzy stips for Buttercup, with some kind of orange tube under some kind of felt material but was too busy to really watch.

What materials did you use, and a brief build description please.. i.e., glued down, crimped edges, etc.

Also, if anyone has a pictures or 2 of this during the build process, please post. These looked better than factory when installed in the door, and I need to make smash.gif some too. Thanks Mucho!

bandjoey
You know us cheap 914 owners. It looked like $3 in parts and 20 minutes of work. Let's see what Ed or the Dr says. popcorn[1].gif
amazing_otter
While you'll have to wait for Ed or Dr. Evil to tell how they did it, I can tell you that they used 3/4" (I think...it might have been 5/8") velcro as the "fuzzy material".

Credit for the velcro idea goes to MaryShortridge who found some leftover in our crafts cupboard when searching for a hot glue gun.
rick 918-S
George, We were looking for new ones but it kind of slipped through the cracks and we didn't get any ordered. In order to get the project in a near complete state The build crew needed to think on their feet. (as most of us 914'ers have to from time to time)

Proves Mary and company are real 914er's with that velco idea. idea.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif thumb3d.gif

bandjoey
QUOTE(amazing_otter @ Feb 26 2010, 08:01 PM) *

While you'll have to wait for Ed or Dr. Evil to tell how they did it, I can tell you that they used 3/4" (I think...it might have been 5/8") velcro as the "fuzzy material".

Credit for the velcro idea goes to MaryShortridge who found some leftover in our crafts cupboard when searching for a hot glue gun.

Perfect! Was the orange tube gluesticks?
bandjoey
Hi Ed. Is the orange tube hollow for flex or solid for no flex? Great Job by the way. Thanks for the pix. You De Man!
rick 918-S
That orange looks like residential electrical wiring.
bandjoey
Now we need some ideas for the vertical window felt
Dr Evil
All I did was recognize someone else's genius smile.gif It was all Mary and Ed. I think the orange is wire.
914werke
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 26 2010, 05:18 PM) *

no need to make them inner and outer are quite cheap now as they have the outer in exact reproduction and they are good!!

What is "quite cheap"? idea.gif
ejm
That's stranded automotive wire (12 gauge I think) and 3/4 velcro (loop side) held together with hot glue. There was some other felt material we planned to use then Mary came back with the velcro. wub.gif

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Feb 27 2010, 03:17 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 26 2010, 05:18 PM) *

What is "quite cheap"? idea.gif

I know someone who recently bought a pair for $60-70 each from a supplier in the southeast blink.gif Price wasn't the issue, like Rick said we had a car to put together.
rick 918-S
We knew we needed those seals but we spin out in the last lap. I figured when I saw the parts car in the photo during the event that Duane the engine guy brought you would likely have to pull the ones that were in that car. Alot of work to get an old abused pair of felts.

Man I like that solution alot. Without those seals the doors could not be assembled.
EdwardBlume
Funny, I'm working on this fuzzy strip trim now... taking a nice pair off the race car to "donate" to Dad's car....
tomeric914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 26 2010, 09:18 PM) *

Reviving a 6 month old thread...

George, what is the part number for the outer repro fuzzy window strips? I can only find the originals on AA's site.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.