Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying Tires at Tire Rack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I went to the tire rack web page to price a set of 205 /16 /55 and went to check put to see what the total would be with shipping and tax.

The checkout showed $0.0 tax; does this seem right ?
DanT
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 27 2010, 08:42 AM) *

I went to the tire rack web page to price a set of 205 /16 /55 and went to check put to see what the total would be with shipping and tax.

The checkout showed $0.0 tax; does this seem right ?

yes, I have bought tires from them here in California over the internet and it comes out $0 tax.
you might also try discount tire direct, they do the same plus no shipping $$
jcd914
Typically the sale tax is based on the location of the selling bussiness. Nevada (home of Tire rack I think) has no sales tax.

I order car parts from www.alleurasianautoparts.com or www.egermanparts.com both based in Nevada and charge no sales tax (both are WorldPac distributors and carry the same stuff).

Jim
VaccaRabite
Tire Rack is awesome. I buy all of my tires from them. They do a lot to support the car enthusiast community, and their management is active on a few forums.

Zach
underthetire
yep. If they don't have a store front in your state, they can't charge tax.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 27 2010, 10:23 AM) *

True, but you have to remember, at least in CA (but I believe this is true in many other states), YOU are required to report the purchase and pay the tax. While they don't yet have a tracking system up to speed, it's been the law for a long time. Trust me, the honor system hasn't worked all that well, and they're working furiously to fix that. Cars, boats, and airplanes are fairly well covered, and now they're moving on to other items.

The Cap'n
Gint
On Tire Rack's site you can also find and designate a tire shop near you. Then they will even ship directly to that shop and you can have them mount/balance. That way you don't have to be around to receive the tires or drag them to a tire shop. Works great.
Eric_Shea
I fell in love with my local Discount Tire stores. Here's why:

They literally make it very simple. I find the lowest prices online (Tire Rack, Joe's Tire Shack, etc.), call my local store and while he's on the phone with me, he checks the URL. He then gives me the same price and I pay for the shipping amount I'd pay with the online retailer, mounting and tax. Tip: Tire Rack rarely has the lowest prices.

I found they would do this while I was searching their site and, I'll be damned if they haven't gleefully owned up to it every time I need tires. I get to shop locally and get a great deal. Might want to check that out Jim.

The ass-dragger was the last victim. I just took the 50 series off and went for vintage rubber. Like the ride and the look better.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Gint
Unfortunately for me the local Discount Tire has screwed up more than 1 nice wheel. Big O is better. I definitely shop around. The last set of tires for my 914 came from Big O. But the wife's ZJ snow tires came form the rack. COuldn't beat that price with a stick.
Eric_Shea
Unfortunately for me the local Discount Tire has screwed up more than 1 nice wheel

That's not a franchise issue. That's a dork on the tire machine issue. I take mine right to the manager and ask right up front; You know how to mount these right? Where will you put the weights? etc. Maybe it's the wheels but, they act very reserved and handle everything with kid gloves when I go there. It "always" elicits car conversation as well.

Probably the Periwinkle. biggrin.gif
Gint
Ya think? Once was a sign, twice was a problem. Poor management at that store for sure. It won't be happening again that's all I know. Glad to hear Utah tire monkeys are the shitz.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 27 2010, 12:04 PM) *

I fell in love with my local Discount Tire stores. Here's why:

They literally make it very simple. I find the lowest prices online (Tire Rack, Joe's Tire Shack, etc.), call my local store and while he's on the phone with me, he checks the URL. He then gives me the same price and I pay for the shipping amount I'd pay with the online retailer, mounting and tax. Tip: Tire Rack rarely has the lowest prices.

I found they would do this while I was searching their site and, I'll be damned if they haven't gleefully owned up to it every time I need tires. I get to shop locally and get a great deal. Might want to check that out Jim.

The ass-dragger was the last victim. I just took the 50 series off and went for vintage rubber. Like the ride and the look bet

Thanks for the tips. The blue wheels are awesome smile.gif
Elliot Cannon
Get the price from Tire Rack then take that to the local tire store and see if they will meat or beat that price.
kconway
Jim,
I've done it twice now. Both times no tax, had them drop shipped to Al Reed's shop to have him install them on wheels he was polishing for me.
Kev
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(kconway @ Feb 27 2010, 03:06 PM) *

Jim,
I've done it twice now. Both times no tax, had them drop shipped to Al Reed's shop to have him install them on wheels he was polishing for me.
Kev

Great idea ! To bad I just picked up the wheels from Al.... There's a guy on PCH in Seal Beach that I'm going to use; but next time...
ConeDodger
If you are eligible to shop the military BX/PX they match any price you can find and there is no tax - Then, they mount and balance for free...
hydroliftin
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 27 2010, 11:33 AM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 27 2010, 10:23 AM) *

True, but you have to remember, at least in CA (but I believe this is true in many other states), YOU are required to report the purchase and pay the tax. While they don't yet have a tracking system up to speed, it's been the law for a long time. Trust me, the honor system hasn't worked all that well, and they're working furiously to fix that. Cars, boats, and airplanes are fairly well covered, and now they're moving on to other items.

The Cap'n

The Cap'n is right. California residents should all pay their fair share of use tax on their on-line purchases. It keeps things fair for brick and mortar merchants and it helps local government support police, fire department and other vital services.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Feb 27 2010, 12:06 PM) *

...Nevada (home of Tire Rack I think) has no sales tax.

First - Tire Rack in based in Indiana, although they do have a warehouse in NV (also DE)

Second - I lived in NV for 8 years and I can promise you there _is_ sales tax.

There is no _state income tax_ in NV.
pbanders
I went to the local Discount for years. I now go to a local 2-bay tire and wheel shop, that's a listed installer for Tire Rack. They specialize in large wheel/tire combos, and do a lot of work for the local racing community. They have a road force balancer and are meticulous with their work. I'd much rather spend my money there than at some gigantic franchised outfit.
GeorgeRud
The sales tax laws vary state by state. In Illinois, if the seller does not collect the sales tax (10.25% in our county) for your out of state purchase, you are required to send the appropriate tax to the Ill. Dept. of Revenue. Now, of course, few (if any) people do send in the tax. If you have a business and get audited, they will certainly catch you and make you pay the tax, fines, etc. on your out-of-state purches.

That said, I love the Tire Rack and used them for almost all my tire needs. Nice, knowledgable people. Their main facility is in South Bend, Indiana, but I know they have more than one location that they ship the tires from.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.