Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Deflector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
I just bought an air deflector that is 64" by 34" and will be bolting it to my trailer in front of the tire rack. You've seen these deflectors on big diesel trucks, kind of looks like a big snow board.

I might have to move the tire rack back 6 inches to get the rake I want, but here is my question?

Is it better to mount it low or high?

I can mount it on the trailer A frame, directly behind the triangle aluminum box, but I'd have to move the tire rack back at least 6".

I can mount it next to the back lip (cover) of the aluminum box but will still have to move the tire rack.

In any event, where will I get the best air flow to help mileage?

Click to view attachment
Randal
Here is a picture of the (dirty) deflector. This is the angle I think will work, but I'll need to move the tire rack back 6".

Right height?

Click to view attachment
Randal
One more picture:

Click to view attachment
koozy
I think it will work just fine. Is it fiberglass or aluminum?
Randal
QUOTE(koozy @ Feb 27 2010, 02:31 PM) *

I think it will work just fine. Is it fiberglass or aluminum?

Fiberglass. It will look good when repainted. Structurally perfect

One can only guess how many miles it has seen.
URY914
Looks cool and should work well.
URY914
Higher would be better as it will smooth out the air over the top of the car.
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ Feb 27 2010, 02:46 PM) *

Higher would be better as it will smooth out the air over the top of the car.

I'll mount it high as you suggested and also leaning back as in the picture. Think moving the tire rack back 6 inches would be just about right. Of course I'd still have to figure out where to put the tank. Maybe weld the rings to the front cross bar of the trailer. Yea, that might work, but it would be hell to get the (heavy and awkward) tank into the rings without any real flat surfaces except the top 2" of the cross bar.

Or I could get rid of the trailer box, which would be the easiest of all solutions.

Or i could mount the deflector right where it is shown in the picture, then use removable pins on the bottom so I can just lift it out of the way when I need to get into the box.
URY914
Maybe you could somehow hinge the deflector to flip it up for access to the box. Removing it each time doesn't sound like much work now but it will soon become a PITA when you need to get it the box for one little thing.
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ Feb 28 2010, 11:22 AM) *

Maybe you could somehow hinge the deflector to flip it up for access to the box. Removing it each time doesn't sound like much work now but it will soon become a PITA when you need to get it the box for one little thing.

I think that idea might work, the question being how high it will lift before hitting the tires.

The cool thing about the deflector is the attachment points. That together with the U channel (previously attached to the top of the truck) which is drilled so you have any combination of angles to work with.

Here is the back side of the deflector.

Click to view attachment
koozy
Ah, I think I got it... Make it so the thing is hinged at the top. It goes over the edge of the box when in driving position and when you need something in the box, the bottom drops so the deflector is vertical.
koozy
Then it doesn't hinder tire removal either
Randal
QUOTE(koozy @ Feb 28 2010, 12:28 PM) *

Ah, I think I got it... Make it so the thing is hinged at the top. It goes over the edge of the box when in driving position and when you need something in the box, the bottom drops so the deflector is vertical.

Given the rake I want, i.e., the picture with the AD over the box, not behind it, I think the AD will lift up when the pin is removed. My only question is whether it will lift enough to open and get stuff out of the aluminum box.

It will be easy to figure it out when I can get back to the trailer again.

Here is a picture. Imagine all the red bars as being behind the deflector.

Here's to good mileage. drunk.gif

Click to view attachment
URY914
Happy motoring!
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ Feb 28 2010, 02:37 PM) *

Happy motoring!

I went back and looked at the air deflector again today. Installation is going to be easy.

I just have to bolt the U channel to the front uprights on the tire rack.

Then move the four attachment points on the air deflector out about two inches

The top attachment points will then bolt right into the top hole of the U channel, the bottom will be attached using existing L channel.

The bottom attachment will be easily accessible, so with a 1/2 pin and keeper, that can be pulled out, the air deflector will go up about 15 inches allowing the lid on the aluminum box to open.

URY914
Don't you love it when a plan comes together.
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 1 2010, 12:32 PM) *

Don't you love it when a plan comes together.

Yea. Can't wait to test the mileage.
grantsfo
My trailering MPG went up when I put shell on my truck.
camaroz1985
Also will help keep those little stones and stuff from being kicked up onto your car, though I guess you had the tires there before.
Chris Pincetich
Does this mean we will see Randal and 222 at a GGR AX this year? beerchug.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Mar 2 2010, 08:53 AM) *

Wow that would be cool! Havent seen 222 forever!
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Mar 2 2010, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Mar 2 2010, 08:53 AM) *

Wow that would be cool! Havent seen 222 forever!

agree.gif biggrin.gif
Randal

Well I have all the mechanicals worked out and test fitted the air deflector on the trailer. It's going to be cool looking and my aluminum box is accessible by just pulling two pins.

Now I'm fixing the body work stuff and will shortly paint it.

I had forgotten how resin smelled.

Can't decide which color to paint the deflector, i.e, white, silver or dark blue (like the letters 222).

Finished pictures sometime next week.
Randal
Uggg...

I sanded then primed my air deflector, after fixing the big holes I had to fill with fiberglass and resin and low and behold, hundred of little holes from miles on the road, a-top a semi.

I've just covered all the holes with puddy and will sand with 80 grit, then primer again to see if I missed any.

Wish I had some heavy (fill type) primer in the garage. stirthepot.gif

Click to view attachment

URY914
Perfection always takes time......
Randal
Progress:

Click to view attachment
Randal
And another:

Click to view attachment

Randal

What I learned.

I used Rustoleum from the local hardware store. A proper automotive paint would have been better.

To get the paint to flow out of the gun I had to thin it about 25%, which made it run very easily.

Between coats I let it dry for a day, then wet sanded out the runs.

I still have one small run, but it isn't bad. One more cycle and it'll good to go.
grantsfo
Looking good Randal. I looking at building something similar to this.

IPB Image
URY914
Looks good. BTW, don't call the "runs" call them "sags". The pro do and it makes you sound like you know what you're talking about, even....
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 26 2010, 01:20 PM) *

Looks good. BTW, don't call the "runs" call them "sags". The pro do and it makes you sound like you know what you're talking about, even....

Actually I didn't "sag" as many as I thought. The one sag that did show up was a bad blocking job by me .

One more cycle and I think it'll look presentable.

Next I need to re-paint the trailer.

Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 26 2010, 08:20 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 26 2010, 01:20 PM) *

Actually I didn't "sag" as many as I thought. The one sag that did show up was a bad blocking job by me .

One more cycle and I think it'll look presentable.

Next I need to re-paint the trailer.

Finally got the final coats on, without any sags. I wasn't going to paint them today as it's cold for California and we had lots of clouds. But the clouds parted, my part got warm and I went ahead and shot it.

Didn't come out bad and I was using a paint (Rustoleum) that runs easily, especially when thinned to shoot out of a gun.

Learned a lot during this process.

Today:

Click to view attachment

Finished at last:

Click to view attachment

URY914
Very nice!
PeeGreen 914
Nice work Randal.
Randal
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 1 2010, 03:52 PM) *

Nice work Randal.

Thanks.

All done now.

Click to view attachment

Randal
And another:

Click to view attachment

Randal
Last one:

Click to view attachment
6freak
Nice work ..but Ill bet you just created more drag then you started with ...JMO...you where going for better mileage correct!
URY914
You need three lights aross the top like the big rigs have. shades.gif

Looks great! biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(6freak @ Apr 8 2010, 11:16 AM) *

Nice work ..but Ill bet you just created more drag then you started with ...JMO...you where going for better mileage correct!

That could very well be, but we'll find out when I tow the car next. Yes, mileage was the objective.
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 8 2010, 01:58 PM) *

You need three lights aross the top like the big rigs have. shades.gif

Looks great! biggrin.gif

Now lights would be cool!
PeeGreen 914
Looks awesome aktion035.gif I would bet it will help protect whatever you are looking to tow as well. beerchug.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 8 2010, 03:55 PM) *

Looks awesome aktion035.gif I would bet it will help protect whatever you are looking to tow as well. beerchug.gif

Paul, maybe someone else as well, said it would better mounted higher to get air flow over the car, so that is what I did.

It's adjustable, so I just have to try different settings.
Randal
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 8 2010, 03:55 PM) *

Should do a good job of that, given the height.

Thinking about what you said brought up an interesting idea. What makes the white fog like they use in wind tunnels to view air flow?

It would be pretty easy to video it at speed as long as you could figure out something allowing you to visualize the air flow.

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
I think they actually use a machine that is similar to the party fog machines. That would be a cool test to conduct smile.gif
DanT
Randal, your tires on your tire rack give you more drag than the car does...IMHO
Once you move the air over the tires it should continue right over the car.
Other than keeping rocks and debris off the front of your car, I doubt you will see much difference in MPGs...of your truck...
and remember the air coming off the back of your truck with the tailgate up actually forms a vacuum in that area.
Randal
QUOTE(DanT @ Apr 9 2010, 09:36 PM) *

Randal, your tires on your tire rack give you more drag than the car does...IMHO
Once you move the air over the tires it should continue right over the car.
Other than keeping rocks and debris off the front of your car, I doubt you will see much difference in MPGs...of your truck...
and remember the air coming off the back of your truck with the tailgate up actually forms a vacuum in that area.

I wonder how much the vacuum is reduced given that I have a complete cover over the bed of my truck?
DanT
the cover just keeps the wind out of the box. You still have two areas that create vacuum. the back of the actual cab, and then the back of the box at the tail gate.
your car sits so low and the tire rack is even pretty low...so I am not sure there will be a huge difference, but you will definitely keep some debris off the front of 222.
I am probably completely wrong biggrin.gif
URY914
It gives the rig a clean look. That's what counts.
blabla914
Thinking about what you said brought up an interesting idea. What makes the white fog like they use in wind tunnels to view air flow?

Have somebody video your rig driving in a light rain or just a wet road. The spray will show you a lot. Cheap and easy to do, but difficult to get the timing down. You have to have your rig all set to go and somebody lined up to video when it's raining. Naturally it can't be raining too hard as the rain will obscure what the spray is doing.

I see a consistent 1-2 mpg gain on my crew cab gas chevy using a tonneau cover when I'm not pulling a trailer. I'm not sure it has the same effect dragging the trailer. I just haven't done enough driving with/without tonneau and the trailer. That said I have to agree, even your tires aren't that high relative to the top of the tail gate

In the end, I have to agree....Most of the benefit will be keeping the crud off your car.

Kelly
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.