Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some help. Trying to pull the heads.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I screwed up an exhaust stud on my 1911 motor. I drilled in a step-down stud a little askew.

So I am pulling the heads to have them fix all of the studs and add a breather bung.

I have the passenger side head 70% of the way off, but its hung up.

The cylinder is coming off with the head. It seems like it won't clear the piston. Not sure why.

Looking for ideas, suggestions, recommendations, etc... I'd love to get this done today.

Thanks!
sww914
Hit the cylinder with a plastic hammer. Don't hit the fins at an angle, hit them like driving a nail. You can pry between the had and the cylinder very carefully, making absolutely sure that you don't mar the sealing surfaces or break any fins. Some spastic dude will chime in now and say how you can never ever pry or hammer any fins but you can if you're smart about it.
Fortunately there are fewer spastic owners here than on 911 boards.
KaptKaos
Thanks Steve.

I was trying that with my rubber mallet. I already broke a fin too, which sucks.

Any other ideas?

KaptKaos
Got it off. The cylinder is still stuck to the head. That cylinder is toast and I'll need new rings too.

I hate you Dirk Wright!! laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.