Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pics of my oil leaks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeremiah98125
I took some pictures of my oily engine and wondering where it's all coming from.. I ordered some new valve cover gaskets, push rod seals & oil cooler seals but it looks like there's also oil coming from the front end of the engine too? I'm trying to fix them all while I have the exhaust system off the car.. Here are my questions:

1: Should I drain all the oil & remove the filter to do the oil cooler seals?

2: Where might the oil at the front end of engine be coming from?

3: In the last pic, there seems to be a gap that the arrow is pointing to. Does this look normal?

thanks

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
URY914
My guess: classic push rod pubes seals.
aircooledtechguy
Heres a few things I notice by the photos. . .

1. The oil cooler is soaked like oil is blowing through it - likely the front main seal blowing oil through the cooler fins.
2. The bottom of the fan shroud is soaked, especially on the bottom - see #1
3. Oil running down the case above the push rod tubes - see #1 again smile.gif
4. Lots of wetness on both ends of the push rod tubes - change all the o-rings with Vitton replacements and carefully clean the bores that they fit into. Any crud will cause more leaks.

The gap in the shroud is just the way they are cast. There's no gap further up the seam

Since you will likely want to pull the motor/trans to replace the front main seal, that's a good opportunity to do the rear main and the oil cooler seals as well.

Beware: This is the exact series of events that cause some cars to be relegated to jack stands for years and the draining of retirement accounts while a full resto ensues. . . Focus, & STAY AWAY FROM THE LIGHT!! av-943.gif
tod914
Take it to the local do it yourself car wash. Spray some cleaner on it after it cools, and powerwash all the gunk off. Zeps Citrus degreaser works good, and it's cheap. You can get it at Home Depot. It won't tarnish the case like Gunk and other products will. Just don't let it dry on. Should help identify all your leaks once it's clean. Just noticed, looks like your exchangers are off. Not sure you want to spray water up in there then.
detoxcowboy
drunk.gif Seriously, It is easier than it looks and worth the effort, You don't necessarily have to pull the engine but in the end it would be easier.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.