Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: POS former owner of my car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carr914
I thought I would be nice and send the former owner of my 914-6 a couple of pictures of the car so he could see all the work that has been done.

I get a reply this morning that "I ruined the car" by putting flares on it.

1st of all this POS was going to do a VIN swap with a 1971 914-4 because the -6 was so badly rusted.

2nd I used Factory M-471 flares. I saved this car and it will be nicer than when it left the factory.

Obviously that will be the last contact I will have with this Dick.

For those that don't know the story of the car, here is a linky

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=90917&hl=

Rant Out headbang.gif

T.C.
IronHillRestorations
Yea, TC you really "ruined" that car. I just can't believe you took out all that precious rust
markb
Yes TC, totally ruined. Please send it to me ASAP for proper disposal of that hulk. av-943.gif

Some people just don't get it. The PO would have comitted a Federal offense, and ruined the value of the car with what he had planned. I'm glad you got it and "ruined" it.
GeorgeRud
There's always two schools of thought on the 914-6s. I have an original -6 that I keep stock for my reasons (possible resale, though I've owned it since 1977), and I would be reluctant to do much modification to it. It was in great shape when I purchased it, and has never needed more than a freshening of the paint, so I wouldn't want to lose that original patina.

Then, I bought a 914 that I converted to flares, large engine, 915 transmission, etc. that I can "play" with. The best of both worlds!

If I had a rusty 914-6 that needed a lot of work, I'd not have a lot of trouble modifying it as you have done. It's just a personal thing - your car, do what you like to it! The previous owner is out of the picture when he signed over the title.
detoxcowboy
I thought about the same idea, showing the PO what I have done, then it just might go right over his head too. What he thought 90% restored was more like 90% unmolested or 90% never taken a look at..
rick 918-S
Ya TC you have alot of nerve man. How dare you desicrate that car that way. You should have just driven the thing the way it was! WTF.gif

agree.gif You totally ruined it!
MDG
You'll have a car most 914 owners dream about. Screw the previous owner - it's a good thing you got that car away from him.
MDG
Oh, and I agree - it's going to need a thorough evaluation. I've been busy lately so it'll probably have to be up here for a couple of years. biggrin.gif driving.gif
Frodefe

carr914,
I wholeheartedly support your decision, and would not spend a calorie on that comment from the previous owner.
campbellcj
That's just ridiculous. If he wanted to be so "high and mighty" then he never should have sold the car. Whenever I have sold a car, of course I hoped the new owner would treat it well but I sure don't obsess about it or get too upset if/when I hear back about what happened after I signed-over the title.
Eric_Shea
Car Ruiner! w00t.gif
Katmanken
Did you offer him some cheese?

Cheese goes really well with some whine.
ConeDodger
AND you're a post-whore lol-2.gif
ME733
........IT,s never a good idea to tell the former owner about your car , and the restoration,trouble, hassle , expense, and improvements you made to "his" former car..(except in very special circumstances). Reason is ,you make him look stupid, cheap,crummy, and dumb. Naturally he will have nothing to say positive. That,s because he,s envious that you can do stuff he cannot. way to go on the restoration...........M.M.
badm
Just another 914 with those dumb ass NOS very expensive flares. T.C. the fact is that you have just saved at great cost a 914/6 from the junk yard, and are bringing your car up to GT spec show that you have no taste, at all. Ben lol-2.gif
computers4kids
OH My G*&d...I had to stop eating my sandwich when I started to look at your build thread...had never seen it before. You have taken on an amazing project and your workmanship is awesome...you should get an award for saving that one. Where the heck did that guy store that car...the beach? I always amazes me how bad these cars can rust out...don't see many like that in CA.

Now, on the PO's behalf, let me play devils advocate for a moment. Not everyone likes flares on 914s, no matter where they came from, but in your case I must admit it was the right thing to do.

I wish I had the talent you do sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Mark
dr914@autoatlanta.com
And besides ruining all of the rust T.C. you are not a very big 914 enthusiast

QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 28 2010, 07:56 AM) *

I thought I would be nice and send the former owner of my 914-6 a couple of pictures of the car so he could see all the work that has been done.

I get a reply this morning that "I ruined the car" by putting flares on it.

1st of all this POS was going to do a VIN swap with a 1971 914-4 because the -6 was so badly rusted.

2nd I used Factory M-471 flares. I saved this car and it will be nicer than when it left the factory.

Obviously that will be the last contact I will have with this Dick.

For those that don't know the story of the car, here is a linky

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=90917&hl=

Rant Out headbang.gif

T.C.

PanelBilly
I wish I had your car the way it is now
URY914
I'm surprised TC. That PO was such a joy to deal with when you were buying it....
Gint
I don't know why you'd give a rat's ass what the PO thinks. He didn't care enough to keep the car apparently.
scotty b
I think you should send Dr. Sandy Vagina a link to this thread and the build thread . poke.gif
rfuerst911sc
TC you tried to do a good thing by staying in touch with the former owner. What you've done with the car is not his cup of tea.........big deal. You are the one turning it from a rusty POS into a real beauty. I think you have done a great job gathering pieces and using what you had in your stash to turn this car into your own creation. Good for you and keep going as I want to see it done ! biggrin.gif
tradisrad
I think you saved it!
VaccaRabite
Cars and houses, PO usually never need to know what you've done with them, as chances are they will not like it.

USUALLY.

Zach
carr914
Thanks guys for your support.

I guess I'm alot different than this guy. But then again he was an ass from the beginning - He played games with the Title and never did give me the Title for the 71 914-4 that came with the deal.

I have bought cars from guys on this board and have tried to stay in touch with them and it has been positive.

I also have tracked down my old car that is now in Wales - He did things I would never have done ( or thought of) and I was thrilled about it. I sent him pictures from the 13 years I owned it and he was happy. I have found where the old Steel-Roof car is and have communicated with him ( not the guy I sold it to). I stay in touch with the member who bought the IMSA car, etc.

These cars are like my children and like kids, they can both make you proud and piss you off.

I just thought it was extremely Rude of this guy. Oh well, he probably doesn't have any friends either.

Anyway I am on the downward slope with this car and I can't wait to start putting it back together. It will be driven regularly when finished. I hope to keep this car forever.

For those that said I was talented - I'm not. But maybe my strength is being able to forsee the finished product from a pile of S@&t and know how to get there. I'm also a wheeler-dealer and have a surprizing low amount of money in this car.

Cheers and Goodnight Canada,

T.C.
EdwardBlume
Shake it off TC.... that /6 is yours now and I think its much happier! If the factory can install flares so can you.. and it isn't like you are going cheap or cutting corners...

Lastly, its not like you are cutting two 914s in half and welding them together to make a poor man's panamera... beer.gif
pbanders
Everyone else has covered it, but IMO, any PO who sells you a car with as much rust and other total neglect as that 914-6 had, due to his own lack of care and effort, has a lot of nerve saying jack to you about how you've decided to restore what he let go to pot.

It's all a matter of perspective, something a lot of people seem to lack. Good luck with your car and as a fellow 914 owner, I'll take one guy like you who actually cares about these cars to a million lazy-a$$ "armchair purists" like your PO.
T.C.
You had a vision to restore your six,Really nice job...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.