Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoring Horn pad stock steering wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I have a very nice leather stock steering wheel, and the horn pad shows the typical wear with color missing in spots. I would like to restore to a newish look. What have you used on the horn pad? Paint? Powdercoat? Dye?

On ebay I came across a guy who restores 914 steering wheels and he mentions in his ad that he "uses dye" to restore the pad. Anyone have a source or what type of dye this may be?
Thanks

GeorgeRud
There are a variety of vinyl paints/dyes available on the market. Krylon is one that is locally sold and seems to work well. I also have used a dye named Surflex (sp?) in the past on leather seats, but I don't know if it would work on vinyl.

I'd probably try to test whatever product you choose on another piece of vinyl first as you will always be looking at the horn button and would be bothered with a less than perfect restoration.
markb
I've got 3 or 4 extra pads I'd love to donate to you for experimentation..... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.