Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing accel. cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Curvie Roadlover
I was setting out to replace my throttle cable today. I crawled under the car and found the original cable very firmly attached to where it enters the tunnel. There appears to be about a 1" nipple that is not part of the cable (painted the color of the car) that the cable comes out of. But, man, that thing is like permanently bonded. The replacement cable has a metal sheath that it appears would slide over the nipple, but it's not threaded on the inside. None the less, I tried twisting the old cable off - no go. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Also, if I do ever get the cable out of the car, should I expect the new one to easily slide in right up to the pedal?
john rogers
Make sure you have disconnected the front of the cable at the pedal cluster before you try to pull it out the back. On the Pelican site there are several posts that show the tubes that exit at the firewall and what each is for. The first cable I did on our 74 2l had been in for years and I had to grab it with visegrips and wack it with a hammer to get it to pop loose. Good luck.
BenNC
I just did mine. The new cable slid right up to the front with no problems. Unfortunately, the sleeve portion did not fit over the post, but that's a different story.
Brad Roberts
Curvie..

Cut it off.. its junk... your replacing it or grab it with a pair of visegrips and twist it off. Dont grab it too hard or you will collapse the tube. If you cut it off... cut the cable housing off first.

I have had a hell of a time getting some of them off.

B
Curvie Roadlover
Thanks for your advise. The Terry cable goes on this week, and the old one gets :gilloutine:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.