Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Belt Questions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wallys914
What sizes or part numbers are the belts for the alternator and water pump?

Have any of the V8 guys had problems with squealing belts at higher RPM's?

I had been hearing this squealing at higher rpms,I thought it was the valvetrain, but I was driving my car today and when I floored it I heard that annoying squealing permanently, when I got home I noticed that I lost my water pump belt and that (somehow) my alternator belt flipped over.
jmmotorsports
The belts I use are Gates 7410 and7355. I get a little noise at start up sometimes but never had any problems.

Jerry
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(wallys914 @ Feb 28 2010, 04:55 PM) *

What sizes or part numbers are the belts for the alternator and water pump?

Have any of the V8 guys had problems with squealing belts at higher RPM's?

I had been hearing this squealing at higher rpms,I thought it was the valvetrain, but I was driving my car today and when I floored it I heard that annoying squealing permanently, when I got home I noticed that I lost my water pump belt and that (somehow) my alternator belt flipped over.

I use a Dayco # 15355 for the High output/single wire alternator. Vasser pump is electric.

I had to go down one size on the belt to be able to get it tight enough using a Renegade alternator bracket.

Good luck!
Bruce Hinds
If your belts flip they are most likely out of alignment. It doen't take much.
wallys914
Can someone that is running a renegade setup tell me what is on the first. Groove of the balancer? I had water pump, in front and altenator in the back with a little bit of a angle on the altenator belt. Now looking at it I think the altenator should be up front with te water pump in back... to releave the angle on the belts...

Thoughts...
computers4kids
Here ya go
Krank
Awwww, now my keyboard is full of drool!
Bruce Hinds
Nice looking set up. I don't think it matters which slot runs which item as long as they are straight. My renegade set up is a little different. I have the water pump on the passenger side because that is the side my radiator outlet is on and I put the alternator on the driver's side so it could have a short run to the electrical panel. It also seems to fit better that way.
You may have trouble with those tall valve covers, I needed a slight dimple in the firewall for the short style covers, just on the one side.
Make sure you get the system burpped well, you don't want to overheat those nice aluminum heads. Make sure there are no high spots in the lines from the pump to the heads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.