Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB NLA fuel line gaskets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
mgphoto
Hello,
I am trying to find a reliable source for the NLA copper gaskets that are located between the fuel tank and the fuel line connections.

They are part numbers:

311 201 235 A

914 201 147 10

I tried one source but they seem to be unable to supply the correct sizes, either the center hole is too big or the outer diameter is too small, both of which are causing dangerous gasoline leaks.

Thanks,
Mike

detoxcowboy
You will only ever find the small one in the correct size. Metric Copper Sealing Washers are available alot of places but your right the OD or the ID will always be off, So like you I could never find the perfect size so I made one out of one they are cheap so you can screw one up or two.. TIP of the day: Anneal Them same as for exhaust copper rings.. heat them up with a blow torch or your stove first let them cool off.. this softens them for a better seal..
kkid
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 28 2010, 09:24 PM) *

You will only ever find the small one in the correct size. Metric Copper Sealing Washers are available alot of places but your right the OD or the ID will always be off, So like you I could never find the perfect size so I made one out of one they are cheap so you can screw one up or two.. TIP of the day: Anneal Them same as for exhaust copper rings.. heat them up with a blow torch or your stove first let them cool off.. to is softens them for a better seal..

What is the OD/ID of the larger wahsher? I will try to look in another country where metric is standard.

Is the washer solid copper just like the exhaust gasket or crash type like the oil drain washer?

Thanks
tod914
The original washers are some type of material like cardboard. I'm going to look into haveing them remanufactured.
mgphoto
QUOTE(kkid @ Mar 1 2010, 08:03 AM) *

You will only ever find the small one in the correct size. Metric Copper Sealing Washers are available alot of places but your right the OD or the ID will always be off, So like you I could never find the perfect size so I made one out of one they are cheap so you can screw one up or two.. TIP of the day: Anneal Them same as for exhaust copper rings.. heat them up with a blow torch or your stove first let them cool off.. to is softens them for a better seal..

What is the OD/ID of the larger wahsher? I will try to look in another country where metric is standard.

Is the washer solid copper just like the exhaust gasket or crash type like the oil drain washer?

Thanks

Hello Yuki,
They are solid, the outer diameter for both is .630 while the inner diameter for the smaller is .325 and for the larger is .400 with a thickness for both of .044.
Slightly smaller inner diameters can be opened but larger outer diameters will be a problem, slightly thicker should not make any difference.
Thanks for your help.
Mike

PS: thanks d_c_boy for the tip!

kkid
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Mar 1 2010, 11:10 AM) *

Thanks

Hello Yuki,
They are solid, the outer diameter for both is .630 while the inner diameter for the smaller is .325 and for the larger is .400 with a thickness for both of .044.
Slightly smaller inner diameters can be opened but larger outer diameters will be a problem, slightly thicker should not make any difference.
Thanks for your help.
Mike

I've found an old manufacturer who can make any size of gaskets/washers in any matrials. What would be the best material for this application?

BTW, where did you get the copper gaskets from? It is not an original is it?

Thanks
kkid
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Feb 28 2010, 05:56 PM) *

Hello,
I am trying to find a reliable source for the NLA copper gaskets that are located between the fuel tank and the fuel line connections.

They are part numbers:

311 201 235 A

914 201 147 10

I tried one source but they seem to be unable to supply the correct sizes, either the center hole is too big or the outer diameter is too small, both of which are causing dangerous gasoline leaks.

Thanks,
Mike

Hello,

Let me ask you a quick qustion while I am waiting for a quote from a gasket manufacturer. Have you checked with AA? According to their web catalog they have these parts as a genuine and priced cheap. Must be correct sizes.

Just a thought
mgphoto
QUOTE(kkid @ Mar 2 2010, 12:05 AM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Mar 1 2010, 11:10 AM) *

Thanks

Hello Yuki,
Thanks for your help.
Mike

I've found an old manufacturer who can make any size of gaskets/washers in any matrials. What would be the best material for this application?

BTW, where did you get the copper gaskets from? It is not an original is it?

Thanks

Hello Yuki,
The originals are copper.
mgphoto
QUOTE(kkid @ Mar 2 2010, 03:15 PM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Feb 28 2010, 05:56 PM) *

Hello,

They are part numbers:

311 201 235 A

914 201 147 10

Thanks,
Mike

Hello,

Let me ask you a quick qustion while I am waiting for a quote from a gasket manufacturer. Have you checked with AA? According to their web catalog they have these parts as a genuine and priced cheap. Must be correct sizes.

Just a thought

Hello Yuki,
I tried the AA parts. The 311 201 235 A is not the correct size, first outer diameter was to small, then the inner diameter was to big. I did order a third set of the gaskets from them recently but I am reluctant to pull the gas tank for the third time just to have it start leaking again.
I will try the detoxcowboy's suggestion to heat the gaskets to anneal them.
Thanks,
Mike

mgphoto
Hello again,
I received the third set of fuel tank gaskets from AA, (I am including a photo).
As you can see there is a difference in size for the outer diameter, when placed on the fuel line there is a wide gap which does not cover the full width of the line, (I am including a second photo of that).
I got in touch with a local guy who does metal work, mostly jewelry, he said he might be able to duplicate the gaskets.
Thanks,
Mike
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.