Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For you George ! ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes
For all you guys living next to Atlanta ...

First Ancestor of All Porsche Sports Cars on Show in America for the First Time

Stuttgart. The Museum run by Porsche AG, is sending its legendary Type 64 Berlin-Rome Car on a long journey. Befitting the 60th anniversary of Porsche in America, the aluminium body of Type 64 will be presented from 21 March to 20 June 2010 at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, Georgia (USA), taking the first and most prominent exhibit at the Porsche Museum in Zuffenhausen to a new location outside of Germany for the first time.

The High Museum of Art is one of the world’s leading art museums. In its special exhibition “The Allure of the Automobile”, the High Museum of Art is expressing its recognition of outstanding automotive developments in the period 1930 to 1960, focusing on differences in the development of American and European design. Type 64 will be presented next to other icons in the world of the automobile from Bugatti, Duesenberg, Jaguar, Ferrari, Pierce Arrow, Packard, Cadillac and Tucker as a synthesis of innovative construction and design, supreme craftsmanship, and exceptional design.

Type 64 is of very special significance to the history of the Porsche brand: Built in 1938/39 under the guidance of Ferdinand Porsche, this unique car already had all the features that make sports cars from Zuffenhausen so very special the world over to this day: lightweight construction and superior aerodynamics, exceptional performance, reliable technology, and that unique design so characteristic of a Porsche. Originally developed for the Berlin-Rome long-distance race, Type 64, due to the war, never entered a race in its lifetime. But it marks an essential milestone en route to the first Porsche, Type 356 built in 1948.

The car’s streamlined aluminium body already showed distinctive indications later to be admired in all of Porsche’s sports cars, its DNA living on in the Porsche 356 through the Porsche 911 all the way to the Panamera. The symbiosis of motorsport requirements and the use of production elements made the car a perfect grand tourer able to reach an average speed on public roads back in 1939 of more than 130 km/h or 80 mph. No surprise, therefore, that Ferdinand Porsche himself used Type 64 for long journeys.

Accompanying the new construction of the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen, the aluminium body of Type 64 was re-built by experts in years of painstaking craftsmanship. Ever since the Museum was opened in January 2009, Type 64 has marked the beginning of the Museum Tour thrilling visitors from all over the world through its cultural impact and unique flair alone.

While Type 64 is being presented to the public in Atlanta, the Porsche Museum will be displaying the skeleton structure of the Type 64 body until the end of June 2010 – a skeleton made of wood upon which the 1.2-millimetre aluminium panels were hammered into shape.

Picture I shot at the museum last year ...

Click to view attachment
bandjoey
I'm sure George will be in contact with the Stuttgart Museum, now that we know they export to America, about major exhibits in other parts of the country..Go George Go!
driving.gif

dr914@autoatlanta.com
thank you. I have been planning to attend since I first heard that it is coming. Of course they and Porsche are here because of my vaulting enthusiam and best 914 museum in the world.

carr914
Do you have to Toke before you go into the HIGH Museum of Art? smoke.gif
Millerwelds
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 1 2010, 04:24 PM) *

You don't have to, but it is HIGHly recommended.
URY914
I hope they paint that car before they take it to a museum.....
jaxdream
Yeah paint would be nice , but as it appears to lack tires and wheels , must be some form of early hover craft with a hatch in the back to calibrate the flux capacitor , neat !!!

Jack / Jaxdream
Drums66
Very unusual Porsche......I expect a tall alien to step out and say
"we only want to serve you"(to serve man)!!! chowtime.gif

thanks for the pic!
carr914
One of the best Twilight Zone episodes.

I met Rod a couple of times when I was a kid.

T.C.
Drums66
I was very fortunate, Rod Serling did a lecture at a Jr college I attended here in San Diego(south western Jr.) just before he passed away(cancer) sad.gif
krazykonrad
From what I understand (and I may be wrong), 550-01 from the Collier Collection, which was featured in an Excellence article a couple of years back, should be there as well.

Konrad
ghuff
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Mar 1 2010, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 1 2010, 04:24 PM) *

You don't have to, but it is HIGHly recommended.

It seems viewing an exhibit like this under such influence would be uplifting, to say the least. beerchug.gif
detoxcowboy
I saw that car and thought it was a joke on vw/porsche a vw beetle passenger compartment inside a porsche
Click to view attachment
Katmanken
And just who do you think created the Beetle???

Hint, the name begins with Por----
EdwardBlume
Its art, just like our 914!
Cap'n Krusty
"Vaulting enthusiasm"? I don't really see the Porsche connection, but whatever ............

The Cap'n
SirAndy
I thought the one in the museum is a replica that was build by Porsche just before the new museum opened up.

Wasn't the original lost?
idea.gif Andy
SirAndy
Aha!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_64

shades.gif Andy
dr914@autoatlanta.com
ok here is the event. Great time to show our 914s. Please plan on rsvp immediately as I want to see at least 20 914s show up so I will not be embarrassed.

Dear Peachstate PCA Members,

Porsche Cars North America has invited you to drive your Porsche to the Governor's Mansion and parade down Peachtree Road all the way to the High Museum of Art on March 21 to kick off the opening day of the High Museum's new display "The Allure of the Automobile" where Porsche will be a featured marque.

In addition to participating in this unique, media-covered event, you will receive free tickets to view the new display at the high museum during a special museum tour at 11:15 AM. You'll also receive a commemorative sticker of the parade.

Please read the following invitation from Porsche Cars North America, and note that the parade is limited to the first 100 Porsches that are registered. We encourage both vintage and modern Porsches to parade. You can bring guests in your Porsche.

But register now, as these slots will go fast! See details below.

- Bill Ibsen, Peachstate Region PCA President

===================================================

On Sunday, March 21, Atlanta's highly renowned High Museum of Art will present "The Allure of the Automobile," an eagerly anticipated exhibition that will feature 18 of the rarest automobiles from the 1930s to the mid-1960s. Both the 1938/39 Porsche Type 64 and the 1953 Porsche 550 Le Mans/La Carrera Panamericana Hardtop Coupe will be included in the Exhibition, along with spectacular vehicles from Aston Martin, Bugatti, Duesenberg, Mercedes-Benz, Ferrari and other historic brands.

Porsche Cars North America (PCNA) is proud to help bring this historic event to the city of Atlanta as the Lead Corporate Sponsor, especially since Atlanta is our home. Just as significantly, 2010 is the 60-year anniversary of when Porsche first began to sell cars in the U.S., and the exhibition itself will mark a very rare trip outside of Germany of the "Grandfather" of all Porsches, the 1938/39 Type 64.

Clearly, with all these incredible happenings, now is time for Porsche fans, PCA members and employees to show Atlanta how to throw a Parade! And that's exactly what we plan to do.

We are inviting you -- as a Porsche fan or local PCA member -- to join us on Sunday morning, March 21st to drive your coveted Porsche in a parade that will make its way through the city to the High Museum of Art where you will be the first to see the Exhibition, including a sneak peek at Porsche's most revered Type 64.

Here are the facts of what's planned:

LOCATION: The Governor's Mansion at 391 E Paces Ferry Road NE

TIME: 8:00 - 9:15 a.m. Car Registration

START TIME: 9:45 a.m.

WELCOME AT THE MUSEUM: 11:00 a.m.

MUSEUM TOUR: 11:15 a.m. - 12:00 noon

If you plan to participate, and we hope you do, please RSVP through our agency at porsche@thereynoldsgroupinc.com or by calling: 404.941.2248. Please be prepared to give us your name, the name of any guest you plan to ride with, your full contact information, including phone numbers and email, your affiliation, and your Porsche car. Please RSVP before March 17, and remember we are limiting the number of Porsches to 100.

We are glad to invite you to take part in this exciting endeavor, and we are looking forward to a remarkable opening day.

Warmest regards,

Tony Fouladpour

Business Communications Manager, PCNA

This email was sent to My Region Members by Leslie Mitcheltree and the National Porsche Club of America, Inc. You may opt-out of receiving emails from PCA National by updating your PCA membership record at our web site. Read the PCA privacy policy.
© Copyright 2010 Porsche Club of America Inc. All rights reserved.
QUOTE(johannes @ Mar 1 2010, 03:20 PM) *

For all you guys living next to Atlanta ...

First Ancestor of All Porsche Sports Cars on Show in America for the First Time

Stuttgart. The Museum run by Porsche AG, is sending its legendary Type 64 Berlin-Rome Car on a long journey. Befitting the 60th anniversary of Porsche in America, the aluminium body of Type 64 will be presented from 21 March to 20 June 2010 at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, Georgia (USA), taking the first and most prominent exhibit at the Porsche Museum in Zuffenhausen to a new location outside of Germany for the first time.

The High Museum of Art is one of the world’s leading art museums. In its special exhibition “The Allure of the Automobile”, the High Museum of Art is expressing its recognition of outstanding automotive developments in the period 1930 to 1960, focusing on differences in the development of American and European design. Type 64 will be presented next to other icons in the world of the automobile from Bugatti, Duesenberg, Jaguar, Ferrari, Pierce Arrow, Packard, Cadillac and Tucker as a synthesis of innovative construction and design, supreme craftsmanship, and exceptional design.

Type 64 is of very special significance to the history of the Porsche brand: Built in 1938/39 under the guidance of Ferdinand Porsche, this unique car already had all the features that make sports cars from Zuffenhausen so very special the world over to this day: lightweight construction and superior aerodynamics, exceptional performance, reliable technology, and that unique design so characteristic of a Porsche. Originally developed for the Berlin-Rome long-distance race, Type 64, due to the war, never entered a race in its lifetime. But it marks an essential milestone en route to the first Porsche, Type 356 built in 1948.

The car’s streamlined aluminium body already showed distinctive indications later to be admired in all of Porsche’s sports cars, its DNA living on in the Porsche 356 through the Porsche 911 all the way to the Panamera. The symbiosis of motorsport requirements and the use of production elements made the car a perfect grand tourer able to reach an average speed on public roads back in 1939 of more than 130 km/h or 80 mph. No surprise, therefore, that Ferdinand Porsche himself used Type 64 for long journeys.

Accompanying the new construction of the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen, the aluminium body of Type 64 was re-built by experts in years of painstaking craftsmanship. Ever since the Museum was opened in January 2009, Type 64 has marked the beginning of the Museum Tour thrilling visitors from all over the world through its cultural impact and unique flair alone.

While Type 64 is being presented to the public in Atlanta, the Porsche Museum will be displaying the skeleton structure of the Type 64 body until the end of June 2010 – a skeleton made of wood upon which the 1.2-millimetre aluminium panels were hammered into shape.

Picture I shot at the museum last year ...

Click to view attachment

eitnurg
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 4 2010, 08:23 PM) *

I thought the one in the museum is a replica that was build by Porsche just before the new museum opened up.

I'm sure you're right. Only one of the three originals survived WW2 - seen recently at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2003. And it's not that one.

Click to view attachment

Interesting that of many websites that mention the Porsche Museum item only one I found says "recreation" - a couple say "restoration", which it isn't, and most don't mention it at all. It seems well on the way to somehow gaining the provenance of "the real thing".
johannes
Now the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rry-8lADnJ4
flipb
George,

Was our beloved 914 well-represented? Didn't see any in the video but it's hard to spot from the wide aerial shots...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.