Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: question on 911/914 stub axle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ldscamaross
hey all. im looking to get some axle stubs off of a 76-84 911. i am doing the subi tranny that porscharu is doing and i was trying to come up with anther way to adapt the cvs to the project. im using vw bus axles with the 100x6 bolt pattern which is what the magic flanges are set up for. the other side of the bus axle, the wheel side doesnt mate up to the 914 stub axle. i know you can just switch the cvs out but i was thinking of another rout. are there any years where the 911 had the 100x6 bolt pattern and the splines that match the 914 rear hubs. i have found pieces of info that would sugjest that the 76-84 stubs would work and ive seen some pics of them that looks like it would work. but i dont know for sure. does anybody know or has anybody looked at this? any info would be great. also i am intrested to buy them if anybody has them around.
thanks
strawman
Can't help you -- I'm using the 108mm stubs from a 1969 911. That will permit me to use the 930-style CVs. My plan is to use the factory Subaru rosette joint at the Suby trans side, 930 CVs at the outer end, and have custom axles cut.

Are you dead-set on using VW van axles?

Geoff
914Sixer
You might try getting a set of early (65-68) 911 stub axles. They are very similiar in size and shape to the bus axle.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(strawman @ Mar 1 2010, 08:24 PM) *

That will permit me to use the 930-style CVs. My plan is to use the factory Subaru rosette joint at the Suby trans side, 930 CVs at the outer end, and have custom axles cut.

Are you dead-set on using VW van axles?

Geoff

I'm using 911 axles cut and resplined to use the Subaru joint on the transaxle end. At the wheel side I'm using 911 stubs and hubs. I've had these done at a major axle shop.
The stock 914 axles are also long enough to be cut and resplined. They are the same diameter as the 911 axles but are longer. The bus axles are about 1 1/2"
shorter than the 914 axles.

Bob
stock93
BigKat, Who resplined them for you? I've been looking at having the same thing done.

The bolt pattern is actually 6 on 86.39mm or 3.400" for bus CV joints. The outside diameter was 100mm. I recently had to drill the pattern on something else for another project.
ldscamaross
i am using the bus axles because i am using the magic flanges with a subaru transmission. it is discussed ont the subaru transmission possibility thread. the bus axles are shorter but they need to be because the subi tranny is a little wider. does anybody know if the 911 stub axle will slide into the 914 rear hub?
pcar916
QUOTE(ldscamaross @ Mar 3 2010, 10:59 AM) *

i am using the bus axles because i am using the magic flanges with a subaru transmission. it is discussed ont the subaru transmission possibility thread. the bus axles are shorter but they need to be because the subi tranny is a little wider. does anybody know if the 911 stub axle will slide into the 914 rear hub?

Early 911 stub axles (circa '69. I don't know about the '70) fit perfectly and use the 911 cv's as well. This assumes you have already converted to or already have 5-bolt hubs. When I was researching this last fall I had a very hard time finding the early CV's though.

Anybody know where to get them now, and the early 911 stub axles? I haven't checked since then, but I won't be able to use my 914-6 stub axles at that point.

With that solution you have to have either 914-6 axles with the shoulder turned to accept the thicker CV, or go with SwayAway or something like it. But it let's you use 930 CV's inboard if you have those transmission flanges.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.