Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sail Vinyl or Not?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
OK. I've painted the sail shinnneyyy orange but I'm now having 2nd thoughts after seeing cars with and without.

Help me pick. Which one should I do.

Signed, Confused. blink.gif
underthetire
Sorry, can't vote without seeing pics of the car, what wheels, etc etc...
AZ914
I like the vinyl myself but this is how I think of it:

Vinyl with black targa
-or-
painted with painted targa

i.e., I think painted sails with a black top looks strange.
914_teener
I like the original look. I have noticed also that it kind of depends on the color. My car is the orig. Ivory White and I think it looks better with the vinyl.

Just my .02
Grelber
Orange sail and top, too.
DanT
this is Phoenix Red but gives you the idea...
I wanted all orange for a car that was AX/TT/street. With the emphasis on track and AX.

I am currently building a '75 in GP white and it will have sail panel vinyl and matching original black top.
Elliot Cannon
Paint the roof and the sail the same color as the rest of the car.
Rand
No vinyl, no trim. Best of all, shave the lip too.
slow914
Depends on the wheel and the height, low and tough = painted, stock and stockish = vinyl

werd
orange914
with flares = painted sail and top

without flares = new vinyl

you can always paint the sail panels and cover with vinyl later if you don't like it. you'll also have the metal prepped this way as vinyl & rust play hell on unprotected sheetmetal anyway
Brent
I always wanted to go gloss paint on top and sail while chrome trim. Thought it would be a clean look, but never a fan of the vinyl. I prefer the black look, but not the vinyl itself. Interested it was even one of your choices. Would love to see it.
shoguneagle
Either way the car should look great. I would paint the sails even if you do go the vinyl route. It prevents rust from moisture buildup that can occur when vinyl is used. With the black center on rims, the black vinyl may be preferred. Actually, either way on an orange car looks good.

Steve
zymurgist
I voted for orange paint only (partly because I love orange). As far as the top goes... how much time is the top really ever going to be on the car?
tat2dphreak
sail panel vinyl? just say NO.

EdwardBlume
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Mar 2 2010, 05:48 AM) *

sail panel vinyl? just say NO.

I've had it both ways, and either are fine... on a stocker, I'd stick with the vinyl.. on a more progressive setup, you can cut it...

Did Porsche really put vinyl on the windshield pillar?? barf.gif
tat2dphreak
yes, on a 100% "gotta be as it was" then sail panel is fine, if the car came with the A&P package. other than that? barf.gif
zymurgist
WRT the chrome strip... it looks great if you have vinyl. IMO it looks out of place if the sail panel is painted body color.
Zundfolge
If you're going to paint the sails, then go with textured trunk type paint (only all black) with the trim. Gloss black paint always looks odd to me.

I picked stock vinyl, but that's before I saw the pic of the car with the painted roof. With a painted roof I'd stick with color matched painted sails. Vinyl or black textured paint if you have a stock finished roof.
jeffdon
Vinyl should stay if your running the trim and have a black roof.

Here is a twist....what about the insides of the sails and under the basket handle? Same as rest of the car, or perhaps a matte/semi-matte black?
Andyrew
QUOTE(RobW @ Mar 2 2010, 06:29 AM) *

Did Porsche really put vinyl on the windshield pillar?? barf.gif

Early 73's. Orange914 has a post somewhere about them. (he's got it on his car, Looks pretty good in person! One of those nice rare touch's IMHO)
Drums66
Anyway you like.....I voted original with the vinyl
I like it!!!....especially on a black car wub.gif

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
orange914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 2 2010, 10:46 AM) *

Early 73's. Orange914 has a post somewhere about them. (he's got it on his car, Looks pretty good in person! One of those nice rare touch's IMHO)

the only pic i could find right now.

whatever you like. i'm glad we color matched the lower panels though i think it helps give some mass to the lower half - kind of makes the lower look bulky -. the tops seem heavey or large with the darker vinyl (depending on car color), especially next to a modern body sports car. i've heard on a two tone paint job you always want the lighter color on top, it gives a lowered look. confused24.gif
Click to view attachment
orange914
barf.gif

oh and thanks rob av-943.gif
7TPorsh
If my car was orange I may paint the sails and windshield frame gloss black, smooth out the top and do it gloss black also...keep all the chrome biggrin.gif

Need to photoshop all your choices
jt914-6
Bill....the decision is yours to make the car the way YOU want it. Input is good though and can make you think in other terms....
My orignal six, signal orange W/black sails & top.....

Click to view attachment

On my project six I went with body color sails sans lower chrome strip and sanded smooth top painted body color....

Click to view attachment
7TPorsh
I like the lower chrome with no flares; makes the body line
Click to view attachment
bandjoey
Thanks for the pix's and input. Since it's basically a stock car, the vinyl wins out right now.
7TPorsh
Mine had the vinyl when i bot it; made it look top heavy and thick. May look good on orange...just don't put too much padding underneath!
Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
I voted for the sail vinyl trim(because most of you know that I'm a whacked CW), but have no idea what you're planning for the car.

Let me ask you this - does your COA state that the car came with the appearance group? Do you care if it has been redone to original specs? Are you planning on EVER showing the car, or just enjoy it?

These are things I'd consider, but that's just whacky me!
Pat confused24.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 2 2010, 06:22 PM) *

Mine had the vinyl when i bot it; made it look top heavy and thick. May look good on orange...just don't put too much padding underneath!
Click to view attachment

Padding?
No padding was ever underneath the vinyl. At least, it wasn't supposed to be.
Nothing but the vinyl, it's backing & glue. Nada else.
Padding was used on Buicks, Olds, Caddy, etc.
Pat
PanelBilly
Padding would be the worst option
bandjoey
QUOTE(orange914 @ Mar 2 2010, 02:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 2 2010, 10:46 AM) *

the only pic i could find right now.

whatever you like. i'm glad we color matched the lower panels though i think it helps give some mass to the lower half - kind of makes the lower look bulky -. the tops seem heavey or large with the darker vinyl (depending on car color), especially next to a modern body sports car. i've heard on a two tone paint job you always want the lighter color on top, it gives a lowered look. confused24.gif
Click to view attachment

I like this the best, with rocker paint and vinyl. Right now with pedrini wheels, but what about with fuchs in black/chrome?
Brent
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 2 2010, 03:09 PM) *

Click to view attachment

This is so sexy! I love the gloss sail and the chrome trim! Makes it look like a modern finished top piece. I was never a fan of the matte finish, then I am a chrome person too.
zymurgist
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 2 2010, 07:52 PM) *

agree.gif

Somebody should photoshop a 914 sail panel vinyl with padding and an opera light. For the love of all that is good, don't do it to an actual 914 though. barf.gif
jeffdon
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Mar 3 2010, 03:40 AM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 2 2010, 07:52 PM) *

agree.gif

Somebody should photoshop a 914 sail panel vinyl with padding and an opera light. For the love of all that is good, don't do it to an actual 914 though. barf.gif

Don't forget the landeau bars!
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Brent @ Mar 3 2010, 01:00 AM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 2 2010, 03:09 PM) *

Click to view attachment

This is so sexy! I love the gloss sail and the chrome trim! Makes it look like a modern finished top piece. I was never a fan of the matte finish, then I am a chrome person too.

a local guy pained their 914 like this, then, instead of using the bottom sail panel chrome, pained it as a pinstripe and extended the pinstripe and black down the rear fender where that "lip" naturally disappears. I know it sounds funky, I'm not explaining it well at all... but it looked VERY cool. maybe I'll try to PShop it on a 914 profile to show you what I mean....
Eric_Shea
I think it helps move the eye off the sail panel itself. I believe that was the original intent but... that's all in my mind:

IPB Image
JRust
I like it on my 1970 with just paint. I may do one of my extra tops in the same color to have the option of switching. I like it as it is though. If I was going for originality I would keep the vinyl
bcaschera
I vote orange only. The solid color looks soo smooth, but if you have black trim (rocker panels, bumpers, decals etc.) I would keep the black top until all the trim is painted to mach. IMHO.
aktion035.gif
Rand
I confess, I have stopped reading replies so I'm sure I've missed the best replies. But I still wonder why anyone would apply any feaux material over metal/paint? Vinyl, the fake wood crap, any other feaux. Barf. Give me paint on metal. Why would you layer anything over that?
7TPorsh
it was the '70s man!
party.gif
effutuo101
I prefer the orange. but, here is what I did with the trim pieces to break it up a little bit.
gothspeed
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Mar 2 2010, 03:02 PM) *

Bill....the decision is yours to make the car the way YOU want it. Input is good though and can make you think in other terms....
My orignal six, signal orange W/black sails & top.....

Click to view attachment

On my project six I went with body color sails sans lower chrome strip and sanded smooth top painted body color....

Click to view attachment

I really like the lower sail trim removed on your pic. I think satin trim on your car would look super stealthy.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Mar 4 2010, 11:48 PM) *

I prefer the orange. but, here is what I did with the trim pieces to break it up a little bit.

that's a cool solution!

I like the blacked out trim with the black rims... beerchug.gif

I don't like the bottom piece of chome with no sail panel, but with the trim blacked out, it looks sick!
Eric_Shea
it was the '70s man!

party.gif

And we didn't have smiley DJ's and little smiley raves. We had real bands, real drugs, real sex and real parties... "kegger's baby!"

(sorry... flashback moment) blink.gif
DipShit
SIGNAL ORANGE _ WOO HOO
tracks914
I have one of each (bone stock and restomod) but now prefer the painted restomod look.
And I know the white car hadn't been lowered yet in this picture.
orange914
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Mar 5 2010, 11:26 AM) *

I have one of each (bone stock and restomod) but now prefer the painted restomod look.
And I know the white car hadn't been lowered yet in this picture.

white flared, fiberglass bumpers really looks good whited out agree.gif
J P Stein
None of the above...not to mention YPAF. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.