Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gettin' the 6 driveable...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
So my six sat for most of the past 10 years. I want to get it driveable and given the period it sat, thought some things needed to be done first. The car started, ran and drove when I bought it.

I want to pull the gas tank and have it reconditioned -boiled out and sealed, and then replace the filter sock, rubber lines and gas filter.

It has been years since I turned a wrench; but I am willing and able. How big a task is it to remove the tank and replace the lines? How do you get the existing gas out, about 1/2 tank? What do you do with the existing gas in the tank - assuming it is likely bad gas?

I have a local radiator shop that boils and seals tanks so that was my plan for that part. Thanks for the suggestions/advice and hopefully step by step DIY guide. I am excited about getting to work on this car.

Cairo94507
EdwardBlume
Yes you can do it! and if you get stuck give one of us neighbors a call!

There are more than one way to pull the gas tank depending on how much fuel (weight) is in the tank. Eventually you will need to take a leap and cut the line and move fast. Just don't do it anywhere near a water heater or other open flame.. I took my car outside and closed the garage.

I also like to use a bolts and the existing clamps to plug lines... it just keeps things closed and controlled.

If the fuel pump works you can use it to pump fuel from the tank... if not, you can jack the front up, get underneath with a big container, pull the 4 bolts and cover under the steering rack, cut the lines under the tank, and drain the fuel. If there's not too much gas, you can lift the tank provided there's enough slack in fuel line, snip and lift out.

The last tank I emptied had bad gas... you can dispose of it by contacting your county disposal and ask where it can be taken.

I recommend the stainless fuel line set from Tangerine as a replacement:
Tangerine

Where are you having your tank done and how much? I have a tank I want sealed as well, and haven't gotten there yet on my project...

I also have an extra complete tank and cannister pack from a '73 if needed.

Oh, and lastly, use the correct fuel clamps when reassembling everything... the wrong ones have open slats that can cut the lines eventually and lead to a leak and potential fuel fires...

McMark
When resealing the tank, this epoxy sealer is the only one I'll use.
BigD9146gt
I haven't used the stuff mark mentioned... however I've used plenty of Castwells' other stuff and it always has been top quality.
jd74914
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 2 2010, 01:54 PM) *

When resealing the tank, this epoxy sealer is the only one I'll use.

agree.gif Everything else I've used has been junk compared to the Caswell coating. It is awesome (coincidently I'm actually going to be coating a custom Al tank with it in a week or so)! smile.gif
Jeffs9146
How big a task is it to remove the tank and replace the lines?

I will be doing this myself soon!

Removing the tank is simple if it is empty! The lines are a bit more complicated but not hard to do.
Cairo94507
RobW and the rest of you who responded - thank you, I think I will give this a try. I will call the radiator shop and see what they charge and what they use to coat the inside of the tank and see how it compares to the Caswell coating. I post my findings when I can call them. Thanks again. FYI 1 quart of Caswell will do a 20 gallon tank for $69.99 per their site.
McMark
I'll bet $20 the tank place doesn't use a two-part epoxy.

If you're not scared of working with acid, you should just do the whole project yourself. It's not hard. I'll be doing a VW bus tank sometime soon. Maybe I'll make a refinishing video. idea.gif
70_914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 2 2010, 05:51 AM) *

How big a task is it to remove the tank and replace the lines? How do you get the existing gas out, about 1/2 tank?

Get some hose clamps from your FLAPS, they sell plastic ones and metal ones (small square things with a wing nut on them). I got the Bluepoint set from Snap On, but others work. I used my engine hoist to lift the tank once I removed the straps- it had 3/4 tank of old nasty gas. There was enough hose slack to lift the tank to the point where my arm would fit, clamp off the hoses and cut the hoses BELOW the clamp. No fuel spills, you can dump the extra fuel at your leisure.

EdwardBlume
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 2 2010, 02:04 PM) *

I'll bet $20 the tank place doesn't use a two-part epoxy.

If you're not scared of working with acid, you should just do the whole project yourself. It's not hard. I'll be doing a VW bus tank sometime soon. Maybe I'll make a refinishing video. idea.gif

Gas tank resealing group clinic?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 2 2010, 05:51 AM) *

So my six sat for most of the past 10 years. I want to get it driveable and given the period it sat, thought some things needed to be done first. The car started, ran and drove when I bought it.

I want to pull the gas tank and have it reconditioned -boiled out and sealed, and then replace the filter sock, rubber lines and gas filter.

It has been years since I turned a wrench; but I am willing and able. How big a task is it to remove the tank and replace the lines? How do you get the existing gas out, about 1/2 tank? What do you do with the existing gas in the tank - assuming it is likely bad gas?

I have a local radiator shop that boils and seals tanks so that was my plan for that part. Thanks for the suggestions/advice and hopefully step by step DIY guide. I am excited about getting to work on this car.

Cairo94507

To get the fuel out, you have two options.

1) disconnect the lines from under the tank/car and gravity drain to a bucket.

2) Pump it out. At work when we need to pump out small quantities of class 1 flamable liquid, we use a small drill operated pump or hand pump. If the fuel is bad it will need to be disposed of as a hazardous material. San Ramon FD has the best hazmat dept in the county. You could call them or Clearwater Environmental Services.
Cairo94507
Thanks; I will stop into SRFD and ask them what to do with the gas and how to do it. I definitely want to dump it properly. I am going to try to pull the tank this weekend, time permitting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.