Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are the "real" Porche guys this crazy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
Says he paid 1000 dollars for exhaust tips. Just the tips. Seems REALLY crazy to me.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/1625230623.html

They do look nice, but wow.
Shade Tree
I'm obviously in the wrong business.
qa1142
Humm

How much do we have into our 914's?

$8k for paint and body
$1k for wheels
$5K for motor
$3.7K for the car
Shocks, bars, brakes, bushings, seats, carpet.....

Humm, yew we are all nuts

Great book on this, read "The gold plated Porsche" about a guy restoring his 911

welcome.png
underthetire
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Mar 2 2010, 12:58 PM) *

Humm

$8k for paint and body
$1k for wheels
$5K for motor
$3.7K for the car

Great book on this, read "The gold plated Porsche" about a guy restoring his 911

welcome.png

Ha, not me! wheels & new tires 300
Paint-that doesn't help it run
Motor-thats next
Car 900 bucks

I see your point, but 1K would get us a new ceramic coated header and probably a muffler. Tips don't make it any faster, and, you can almost not see them on the car.

zonedoubt

Good read. The author is a Car & Driver contributor.
Cupomeat
Yeah, you find this sort of CRAZY conspicuous consumption whenever people have more money than they know what to do.

It isn't about the 911 vs 914 crowd chair.gif as there are concours 914 guys who will spend more money than I'd be comfortable carrying around on the "right" 914-6 part.

However, many people who have more money than they know what to do with buy a 911. Most 914 guys tend to start out with more meager projects and restorations and then move up the ladder as things get easier. A good deal of 911 owners have bought their first 911 AFTER they have money.

Any way, I am not a fan of the tips and that owner is crazy, but the manufacturer has found a market for such a thing.
pcar916
He's not crazy, just an opportunist for whom bling makes for a woody.

I on the other hand, would be crazy to buy them. blink.gif Oh yes.
SirAndy
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 2 2010, 12:50 PM) *

Are the "real" Porche guys this crazy, really?

Yes.

A friend of mine bought a brand new Boxster. Then had it shipped to Ruf and wrote them a blank check to do any possible upgrade they could think of.
The result is a streetlegal(!) car that runs circles around factory GT2/GT3 racecars at the track.

$1k for some pretty exhaust tips wouldn't have even made a tiny dent in his budget.
shades.gif Andy
70_914

Humm

$8k for paint and body
$1k for wheels
$5K for motor
$3.7K for the car

welcome.png

$0 for paint and body
$220 for wheels
$350 for motor
$400 for the car

I am treating my car like the best aircooled VW made, not the "worst" Porsche made. (914 4 cylinder, don't start flipping me stromberg.gif about the 914-6's because they are different in my opinion)

NARP is a NARP

Yeah, start the flames......
1968Cayman
QUOTE(70_914 @ Mar 2 2010, 05:30 PM) *

$0 for paint and body
$220 for wheels
$350 for motor
$400 for the car

That's a great way to look at it- most expensive VW rather than red-headed Porsche.

$50 POR15
$60 for a few large sheets of mild steel
$170 for the 22t and its ECU
$250 for the car

What else does a guy need? My wife's demands for a/c fall on deaf ears.
BigD9146gt
Consider the rear quarter exhaust vents, which should signify a GT2, turbo or S4? Either way, lets say at least a $60k car. So $1000 being 1/60 the cost overall... Dansk sport dual in/out exhaust is run of the mill $500. That puts our 914's in the $30k region... I like those numbers! but then again, thats just for the tips... I'm with you Shade Tree... wrong F'n business.
Jake Raby
Yep..
The most expensive thing in my Flat 6 Store is a billet M96 crankshaft. It tips the scales at 6,500.00

A single set of VC+ lifters wholesales at 4,000.00
I have clients on the "modern" side of the house that are insulted if something is too cheap...

Eric_Shea
I bought my car for $300.00

I refuse to add up the rest of the stuff.
hydroliftin
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 2 2010, 09:29 PM) *

Yep..
The most expensive thing in my Flat 6 Store is a billet M96 crankshaft. It tips the scales at 6,500.00

A single set of VC+ lifters wholesales at 4,000.00
I have clients on the "modern" side of the house that are insulted if something is too cheap...

You don't have that problem with the 914 crowd. Never insulted if something is too cheap, only if the quality sucks.
Drums66
When you have ducat's you do what makes you Happy!!
(for a while) then on to the next thing, welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png and the next then the next
on and on. idea.gif welcome.png
tat2dphreak
every now and then I think back to the $ I've spent over the years... ignoring the first car that I had to basically toss.. some days I kick myself, some days I think it was worth every penny... mostly tho, I just try not to think about it biggrin.gif

pbanders
Didn't you guys see the $20K carbs that were on eBay recently?
naro914
Not sure if 'Porche' guys are that crazy, but 'Porsche' guys are... smile.gif

The folder of receipts for Papa Smurf is becoming it's own file cabinet...
The money we've put into building Huey...then rebuilding Huey... now upgrading Huey....

For each of these 914's, I've spent AT LEAST as much as a GT3 would cost. (notice how I compared the expenditure to another CAR, not to something necessary like a house, food, clothing, etc...) so Yes... Porsche owners are THAT crazy.... smile.gif smile.gif

Oh, and I know someone that will buy those tips immediately if he can get them!!
Ericv1
I just spent $3,000 in six conversion parts when my 1.8 has 70,000 miles on it and it works just fine.
Ds1
So you guys are paying $300-$500 for a car?! I payed way too much for mine then, where the heck did you find those?
Katmanken
MMTB syndrome. (aka - More Money Than Brains)

Usually accompanied by a desire for a 'look" rather than a desire for "go", and a craving for "wine" and "cheese".

I like my cars to perform, looks are much less important.

Price is all about opportuity and timing. Bought my first car for $1800 (low rust) and my second for $300 (rust bucket). Don't ask how long ago.
70_914
QUOTE(Ds1 @ Mar 4 2010, 06:12 AM) *

So you guys are paying $300-$500 for a car?! I payed way too much for mine then, where the heck did you find those?

I bought 2 for $400 each, one included towing to get it home.

1. Was from a junkyard. It was rattle canned, leaking to the point the interior was junk. Floor pan seperating from the longitudinal on the driver side. Only positive thing is that I put a battery in it and it started right up, it has Dellorto carburetors. Parting the car out in order to fix:

2. Was from a VW/Audi/Porsche repair shop I deal with. It sat in their back lot for 3 years while the owner tried to sell it for more than it was worth. Engine and brakes no good. Repainted factory color, but not all that well and has bubbles coming through. Trunks both full of water while it was sitting so it needs front and rear lids. Positive thing is that it has Mahles, full fuel injection, good bumpers, solid floor pans.

Both cars are SERIOUS projects. You do get what you pay for...
Ds1
Ahh okay, scared me for a second. Mine is quite clean, although it needs some paint.
turboman808
QUOTE(Ds1 @ Mar 4 2010, 11:34 AM) *

Ahh okay, scared me for a second. Mine is quite clean, although it needs some paint.

I think 914 guys are the weirdest bunch of cars guys I've met. Got your mix of of hippies, cheapskates and "real" porsches guys wondering why the hell they didn't get a 911.
zymurgist
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Mar 4 2010, 03:41 PM) *

I think 914 guys are the weirdest bunch of cars guys I've met. Got your mix of of hippies, cheapskates and "real" porsches guys wondering why the hell they didn't get a 911.

If there's any in the last category, have I got a sweet long hood 911 for you. I'll trade it for your 914, as long as it's a "real" /6.

*crickets*
naro914

I will agree that us bunch of 914 guys are a bit odd....... but...I am getting a bit tired of all the 914 owners out there perpetuating the NARP complex that is nowadays really more self induced than reality.

Many of the PCA national staff have 914's, many race them, autocross them, or just drive them. When we held parade here in Charlotte, we tried to hold a 914 gathering, but so many 914 owners commented "oh, THEY don't really want us there..." My question always is...who the hell is 'THEY'??

I race a 914 - Papa Smurf. It's a 1974 car with a little 2.2 liter engine in it. When I race, my goal is to hang with the 993 and older era of cars...cars 20 years newer than mine!! And I do.

go to any big Porsche Autocross. What usually has the FTD? a 914.

If 'Real' Porsche owners are performance based, how can you get much more performance than a car that kicks everyone elses asses???

heck...at least we're all not 924 or <gasp> 928 owners smile.gif

(ok, so I took this a bit OT, but the '... "real" porsches guys wondering why the hell they didn't get a 911' got to me... sorry...)
pcar916
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Mar 4 2010, 12:41 PM) *

I have both cars. When you failed to anticipate it, at least the 911 gives you a bit more information when it's going to spin... Long live a tiny MOE piratenanner.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 4 2010, 12:57 PM) *

I will agree that us bunch of 914 guys are a bit odd....... but...I am getting a bit tired of all the 914 owners out there perpetuating the NARP complex that is nowadays really more self induced than reality.

Many of the PCA national staff have 914's, many race them, autocross them, or just drive them. When we held parade here in Charlotte, we tried to hold a 914 gathering, but so many 914 owners commented "oh, THEY don't really want us there..." My question always is...who the hell is 'THEY'??

I race a 914 - Papa Smurf. It's a 1974 car with a little 2.2 liter engine in it. When I race, my goal is to hang with the 993 and older era of cars...cars 20 years newer than mine!! And I do.

go to any big Porsche Autocross. What usually has the FTD? a 914.

If 'Real' Porsche owners are performance based, how can you get much more performance than a car that kicks everyone elses asses???

heck...at least we're all not 924 or <gasp> 928 owners smile.gif

(ok, so I took this a bit OT, but the '... "real" porsches guys wondering why the hell they didn't get a 911' got to me... sorry...)

I get more thumbs up from older 911's than anyone else, thats why I put the "real". It's the newer boxters/whatevers that just buy the cars and don't notice anything else. Commuter cars! And the 924 was my favorite car as a kid in the 70's...my doctor had one, nice backseat happy11.gif
rebelmdot
I agree, I have a 1981 911SC that is a beautiful car, but I am selling it so that I can begin restoration on the three 914's that I have. They are more precious to me. I think the NARP is funny, but not worth perpetuating or having a complex over. There are models that I do not like but if they have the crest, they are "real" Porsche's to me. If anything, I think that 914 owners are some of the MOST passionate Porsche owners out there. Drive them with pride girls and boys!!

qa1142
Personally, I like beating 911's boxters and such on autoX and track days in my stock 914 by just having they balls to drive it aktion035.gif
EdwardBlume
$1000 for CF exhaust tips is well... extreme...

BTW - I bought a 73 2.0 (complete) 8 years ago for $1 - beat that...
detoxcowboy

Humm

$8k for paint and body
$1k for wheels
$5K for motor
$3.7K for the car

welcome.png

I identify with you definately..
$8.5k for the car
$5k interior (leather,audio,real carpet,930 wheel,nos &resto. gauges,console...)
$1k wheels
$5k motor
$2k chrome(nos/new fr. bumper,door handles trim)
$3k seals, bushing,anything and evrything rubber(bumper tops/snubbersect) ect(..genuine and every single piece)
$1.3k lights lenses buckets
$1k tranny/clutch
$1k suspension/brakes
still needs paint $2-3k

$2k misc...

still missing more money than that??
wondering when it will stop.. priceless

nothing counting various prof. mechanics fees unitl I stopped going to them fairly quickly
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Mar 5 2010, 07:09 AM) *

Humm

$8k for paint and body
$1k for wheels
$5K for motor
$3.7K for the car

welcome.png

I identify with you definately..
$8.5k for the car
$5k interior (leather,audio,real carpet,930 wheel,nos &resto. gauges,console...)
$1k wheels
$5k motor
$2k chrome(nos/new fr. bumper,door handles trim,if it shines its new but 3 piece re anodized, and the rear bumper good shiny w/ 5" tree dent)
$3k seals, bushing,anything and evrything rubber(bumper tops/snubbersect) ect(..genuine and every single piece)
$1.3k lights lenses buckets
$1k tranny/clutch
$1k exhaust
$1k suspension/brakes
still needs paint $2-3k

$2k misc...

still missing more money than that??
wondering when it will stop....
priceless

nothing counting various prof. mechanics fees unitl I stopped going to them fairly quickly
smg914
QUOTE(70_914 @ Mar 4 2010, 09:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Ds1 @ Mar 4 2010, 06:12 AM) *

I bought 2 for $400 each, one included towing to get it home.

1. Was from a junkyard. It was rattle canned, leaking to the point the interior was junk. Floor pan seperating from the longitudinal on the driver side. Only positive thing is that I put a battery in it and it started right up, it has Dellorto carburetors. Parting the car out in order to fix:

2. Was from a VW/Audi/Porsche repair shop I deal with. It sat in their back lot for 3 years while the owner tried to sell it for more than it was worth. Engine and brakes no good. Repainted factory color, but not all that well and has bubbles coming through. Trunks both full of water while it was sitting so it needs front and rear lids. Positive thing is that it has Mahles, full fuel injection, good bumpers, solid floor pans.

Both cars are SERIOUS projects. You do get what you pay for...

Good point.

Assume you own a subjectively near perfect 914. My Sahara Beige 914 certainly has some patina but its all original and in beyond excellent condition. You wouldn't believe how many people (even non-car guys) look at the car and go right to some small imperfection and say, "What happened here?" It drives me out of my mind. When you can count the imperfections on one hand, an imperfection tends to stick out like a sore thumb. I find myself answering questions that someone with a lesser car would never hear. Sometimes its almost like I have to defend the car because its not perfect. When you look at an average car or even an above average car there are so many imperfections you tend not to focus on them. So what happens when you own a beyond excellent, 37 year old original car? You tend to spend whatever it takes to correct even the smallest of imperfections. If one of the chrome strips on the rear of the roll bar is in perfect condition except for a teeny little 1/8 inch long scratch; You find an NOS one and you pay whatever it takes to get it. The unachievable, anal fixation on the endless pursuit of perfection. I know...its crazy.
Porcharu
That's original? That is an amazing car - gorgeous car. You probably would not like what I am doing to mine biggrin.gif but that's OK as I will still enjoy the car, but it will never be as nice looking (or be worth as much) as yours.
Steve
pbanders
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Mar 5 2010, 07:41 AM) *

Personally, I like beating 911's boxters and such on autoX and track days in my stock 914 by just having they balls to drive it aktion035.gif

The last BMWCCA DE event I did some years ago, I drove my 914 instead of the E36 M3 I had at the time. Far more people were interested in my 914 than my M3. Highlight of the day (not really) was watching the wife of the chief driving instructor (with him as co-pilot), spin their prepped E30 M3 into the wall, because she was driving over her head and didn't want have to let that crappy NARP behind her past.
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(smg914 @ Mar 5 2010, 09:02 AM) *

Assume you own a subjectively near perfect 914. My Sahara Beige 914 certainly has some patina but its all original and in beyond excellent condition. You wouldn't believe how many people (even non-car guys) look at the car and go right to some small imperfection and say, "What happened here?" It drives me out of my mind. When you can count the imperfections on one hand, an imperfection tends to stick out like a sore thumb. I find myself answering questions that someone with a lesser car would never hear. Sometimes its almost like I have to defend the car because its not perfect. When you look at an average car or even an above average car there are so many imperfections you tend not to focus on them. So what happens when you own a beyond excellent, 37 year old original car? You tend to spend whatever it takes to correct even the smallest of imperfections. If one of the chrome strips on the rear of the roll bar is in perfect condition except for a teeny little 1/8 inch long scratch; You find an NOS one and you pay whatever it takes to get it. The unachievable, anal fixation on the endless pursuit of perfection. I know...its crazy.

Don't even get me started on car shows and the comments folks will spew out over the tiniest imperfection. . . most of those folks probably don't even own a classic car, much less have ever driven one. . .

I would much rather own a nice, but well used car than a near perfect car. I never want to end up as a custodian of a car. I only wish to be an owner and driver.
smg914
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Mar 6 2010, 12:41 PM) *

QUOTE(smg914 @ Mar 5 2010, 09:02 AM) *

Don't even get me started on car shows and the comments folks will spew out over the tiniest imperfection. . . most of those folks probably don't even own a classic car, much less have ever driven one. . .

I would much rather own a nice, but well used car than a near perfect car. I never want to end up as a custodian of a car. I only wish to be an owner and driver.

I hear ya brother. But what do ya do when you happen across a 914 like the sahara beige car. Imagine.......it was back in March of 1998 and the price back then was pretty darn cheap (actually back then it seemed high). Basically when I purchased the car I was actually purchasing a work of art which gave me no choice but to preserve it. To me, anything less would do an injustice to the 914 community. It's important that some pure 914s exist. You know the old proverb, "Their only original once". So in essence you are right. I am the custodian of the car. But I absolutely love the car. I drive it at very least once every 5 or 6 weeks (never let your vintage Porsche sit longer than 6 weeks) and it always starts right up, runs perfect and make me feel like its 1973 again and I'm taking a brand new Porsche 914 for a test drive. Its awesome!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.